SG9665GC Firmware Wishlist

arcticfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't see a public thread on this so thought I'd make one up as I've got a few requests if possible?

These are my more pressing ones :

1. Some form of menu/button protection from unauthorised access which can be turned on in the menu be it either a button sequence or more preferably a pin. Would be very good for commercial use reasons. The cable tidy cover already gives a little bit of protection for the power cable.

2. An audible alarm which will continually beep when a card read or any error is detected until switched off in the menu. Again it should be a feature that can be disabled in menu in case s user doesn't want this feature. Good for commercial purposes to ensure drivers report an error straight away, unless they don't mind the beeping all day. Also would be good because I have experienced an occurrence where the red light is flashing and the screen shows recording but nothing was being written to the card. This happened when the card got corrupted whilst playing with the hardwire kit.

3. The option to stamp the GPS speed in the video. Makes life easier to show speed in exported footage, unless there's another way to stamp the speed from GPS data on software?

A couple of desires...

4. Ability to select different bitrate or quality levels so that if storage capacity is more important than maximum image quality then at least you have the choice.

5. Selectable min. frame rate. Not sure if this is very easy or even possible through firmware?

Not mentioning the exposure issues as I know they are already being dealt with.

Cheers!

we're working on a bunch of firmware changes right now so the timing is good, we always welcome the feedback/ideas, not everything is practical or possible but that doesn't mean the ideas couldn't be used in future products

from your current list

1. not supported by the chipset

2. not supported by the chipset, something we'll probably have in future models though where it can be supported

3. working on that now

4. not at this time but we may add selectable bitrate option in a future update, future models may have this also

5. not possible on this one, may be an option on a future model but would likely relate to parking mode functionality

Cheers. Any plans then to have a multi cam setup which records to a separate box that can accommodate a hard drive?

Cheers. Any plans then to have a multi cam setup which records to a separate box that can accommodate a hard drive?

separate box yes, hard drive no, not supported at this stage, I'm sure at some stage we'll be looking at using SSD memory once that is a supported option and working reliably, the M.2 drives are super compact and would be good for this

I've been driving through Austria lately. I really like to record parts of the routes that I drive through this beautiful country. This allows me to enjoy the scenery, which is not always possible when you're at the wheel. Unfortunately, Austria is a country where you're not allowed to use a dashcam. It would be nice to be able to quickly format the memory card using a combination of buttons, in the case of being pulled over by a police officer who spotted the dashcam. Going through the menu is just a bit too much of a hassle in that siutation :)

It is possible to pull out TF card from camera fast without pressing it, just glue fishing line to card and in case of emergency you can pull it out in one second and hide that card (or swallow it:))
Of course last video will be damaged but you can't have all, you can also show police that yes you have this camera but there is no memory card so it's not working.

Your family name is on topic;)
Quickly switch the card. Yeah right, I dare not replace the card in the car.

Your family name is on topic;)

Yeah, haven't heard that one before ;) (for the non-Dutch people here: It means something like 'unrest' or 'troubles', and yes it really is my family name)

Quickly switch the card. Yeah right, I dare not replace the card in the car.

Well, better losing it because it ejected through the open window than getting a fine of several thousands of Euro's :)

4. Ability to select different bitrate or quality levels so that if storage capacity is more important than maximum image quality then at least you have the choice.

4. not at this time but we may add selectable bitrate option in a future update, future models may have this also

When I asked why there was no 720p it was 'we only want the best' and now there will be lower bitrates? Ok.

articfire
"so that if storage capacity is more important than maximum image quality"

But yes please, higher bitrates to get rid of those pesky blocks when I drive past trees!

articfire
"so that if storage capacity is more important than maximum image quality"

But yes please, higher bitrates to get rid of those pesky blocks when I drive past trees!

if there's a demand for a lower bitrate we might offer it, I wouldn't go too much lower though as it defeats the purpose, we have a bunch of things we're working on now, after those are done and verified we'll look at some different bitrate options and see how it looks and if any reliability issues as a result and go from there

Bigger cards can mean more expense, is there any harm in giving people the choice though via a menu setting?

Bigger cards can mean more expense, is there any harm in giving people the choice though via a menu setting?

not really, there's practical limitations as to how low you can go with bitrate while still having acceptable results though but we'll look at the different options when the time comes, 720p will still not be an option though

It seems like every firmware feature request is a "practical limitation"....:rolleyes:

It seems like every firmware feature request is a "practical limitation"....:rolleyes:
:eek::confused: In case you haven't noticed the world is full of 'practical limitations'.

Back