SG9665GC Full Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I wanted this up 2 weeks ago but things kept coming up including getting sick and being out of town for work. I am obviously as many users know a multi channel cam fan, but the jump in quality in this camera was surprising for me. It was cool to see how changing the image sensor and lens could make such a huge improvement. This cam, paired with a SGZC12RC as a rear camera, would make a killer 2 channel set up.

This cam still doesn't have a fancy parking mode, but the ZC12RC does, which would be good for parking mode since you are more likely to be hit in the rear in a parking lot if you pull into parking spots. My review of that cam will be up next week too.

There is no audio in the samples in this video but I will have some comparisons coming up too because the audio quality jump is pretty apparent and surprising.

New [June 3, 2015] Rear End Collision

GC vs. GM Night Footage:

GC vs. A118C Dusk Footage

Hardwire Video

edit: I did not realize there was a dedicated forum for this camera now, @DashCamMan can you move it please.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm still watching and will post other minor corrections.

The auto power off feature in the menu only applies if no recording is in progress. The camera shuts down instantly once power is cut.

Here is what I send people when they ask about the B40

Q: Is this any better than your standard generic B40/A118 device?

A: The SG9665GC might "look" like the B40/A118 from the outside but it's totally different inside. Instead of the weak Aptina sensor the SG9665GC uses a high end Sony IMX322 CMOS sensor which results in superior night performance. The all glass medium wide lens is also much sharper edge to edge resulting in a crystal clear perfectly focused image. The metal lens housing keeps the lens from warping in high heat as well. The budget clone model B40/A118 lens is too wide and uses a cheap plastic lens/housing which results in an often times out of focus soft image. The SG9665GC has a higher spec Novatek NT96655 CPU which is more capable and has a higher heat tolerance than the B40/A118 NT96650 lower spec CPU. The SG9665GC is a premium product that just happens to share the same shell. New PCB, New Upgraded Sensor, New Upgraded Lens, All Metal Lens Housing, brighter screen, updated extreme temp compatible super capacitor + enhanced power supply with a longer cord, 32GB microSD card pre-installed, microSD keychain USB card reader, microFiber bag, spare thicker mount for vertical windows, 3M static sticker for temp rental car installs, and more) Street Guardian is all about quality with over the top customer service and support. see less

Here is a side by side Night Time video so you can see for yourself.

Hopefully we can redo this low light night comparison with
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...center-cropped-full-screen-edge-to-edge.11038

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to set your date format to MM/DD/YYYY for the USA.

And yes the firmware defaults on this camera are from Australia. USA will want to change the following for now until I get a custom North America version.

Date format MM/DD/YYYY
(not DD/MM/YYYY)

Frequency: 60
(not 50 Hz or background street lights will flicker)

Video: NTSC
(Not PAL)

Last edited:
I rarely set the time on any cameras haha. even my everyday blackvues are off because of daylight savings and I just don't care. most of the video footage was actually early in testing.

I should remember to point out you can remove the 1 second overlap, because i learned that awhile ago. but I figure new people might wonder how the looped recording works, and it does show them that each clip never "loses" any portion of your drive.

VSDC seems to render the video choppy. I was doing a comparison of the a118c and gc and each one will get very choppy looking. the native video of both is fine of course though.

Join the 25% encrypted downstream traffic in north America ;)

I noticed someone mention Adobe Premeire. Im using Premeire Elements and Im having trouble importing the MP4 clips to edit. I was under the impression that AP should have no problems with the MP4 format, but I am. If its a big file, it just freezes up. If its a short clip, the rendered quality after editing is horrible. Any ideas on a fix? I know I can use other software to convert to another format, but was just wondering if perhaps theres something Im over looking before trying that. Also, I like to leave my cam on when I park in certain places. Does the cam draw enough power to eventually harm/kill my car battery?

I noticed someone mention Adobe Premeire. Im using Premeire Elements and Im having trouble importing the MP4 clips to edit. I was under the impression that AP should have no problems with the MP4 format, but I am. If its a big file, it just freezes up. If its a short clip, the rendered quality after editing is horrible. Any ideas on a fix? I know I can use other software to convert to another format, but was just wondering if perhaps theres something Im over looking before trying that. Also, I like to leave my cam on when I park in certain places. Does the cam draw enough power to eventually harm/kill my car battery?

Not sure about elements but premier is good. Try some of these free options.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...enter-cropped-full-screen-edge-to-edge.11038/

Hi,
I have just installed my new SG9665GC dashcam in car and processed some primary tests...
When viewing recorded videos on RegistratorViewer, G-sensor data still remains empty (even with medium or high sensitivity settings of G-sensor) and corresponding graph too. Is this normal behaviour or did I set wrong configuration anywhere?
Thanks

Windows or Mac version?
Can you try http://DashCamViewer.com as a test as well?

EDIT:
"G-Sensor is used to trigger events but the data is not logged, you won't see anything in registrator viewer, this is normal"

Last edited:
I tried with RegistratorViewer and DashcamViewer (trial) on Windows Seven ultimate (64bits) version and G-sensor data are not set:
exported data to CSV file has "+0.000" values for both GForceX, GForceY and GForceY entries.

Is your G-Sensor set to high medium or low?

EDIT:
"G-Sensor is used to trigger events but the data is not logged, you won't see anything in registrator viewer, this is normal"

Last edited:
Back