SG9665GC High Contrast/Dynamic Range Flaw and other Discouragements

Well the SD card was delivered today so I went to take some quick videos before sunset. Here are a few examples below with difficult lighting transitions (I would think at least). The sun is low on the horizon and I'm driving into as well as away from the sun. I thought overall the camera did a very good job. This was without the CPL filter btw.

I still wish objects farther in the distance were more in focus i.e. street signs more legible.

And the raw files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9v3ld7d2syr6g0/2016_0314_173622_003.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoiela9ezai1mlo/2016_0314_173923_004.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs9h4g4wdw177fd/2016_0314_175336_008.MOV?dl=0

JD

if anyone has any sample footage like Dashmellow has found but from the 2016 firmware versions we need to get a copy for the engineers, I'll be with them next month so having as many samples as possible would be helpful

Well the SD card was delivered today so I went to take some quick videos before sunset. Here are a few examples below with difficult lighting transitions (I would think at least). The sun is low on the horizon and I'm driving into as well as away from the sun. I thought overall the camera did a very good job. This was without the CPL filter btw.

I still wish objects farther in the distance were more in focus i.e. street signs more legible.

And the raw files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9v3ld7d2syr6g0/2016_0314_173622_003.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoiela9ezai1mlo/2016_0314_173923_004.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs9h4g4wdw177fd/2016_0314_175336_008.MOV?dl=0

JD

Those don't look bad at all and the tonal range seems just fine. If anything the images seem a bit dark and in your case may benefit from adjusting the aim of the camera.

I notice that your engine noise sounds quite loud in the videos. The oversensitive microphone is in fact one of the other SG quibbles I've been wanting to bring up in this thread. My first two samples of the SG9665GC had excellent, above average and very well balanced audio quality but the third unit began to exhibit this problem. It makes my vehicle's engine sound very loud and otherwise overpowers voices and other ambient sounds. It's my understand that forthcoming firmware has some volume controls which are designed to deal with this known issue but to me the problem feels more like an oversensitive microphone circuit more than a general volume issue. Anyone else have a comment on this?

oversensitive microphone

Did you try the latest firmware and test the new high/medium/low microphone sensitivity settings? We have customers that like to listen to very loud music and said the audio was too sensitive. They have reported that using the medium settings fixed their problem. (new feature)

Last edited:
Did you try the latest firmware and test the new high/medium/low microphone sensitivity settings? We have customers that like to listen to very loud music and said the audio was too sensitive. They have reported that using the medium settings fixed their problem. (new feature)

No, I've held off updating firmware waiting for the right weather conditions so I could keep testing the original camera you shipped without changing too many variables. Then I was waiting for the next forthcoming update because I was under the impression (mistakenly I now know) that there were AE changes pending any day now. Interestingly, we got a little snow today so I'll see what happens when the sun comes out but certainly I look forward to trying the new sound adjustments. Thanks, @Pier28.

That is very true about the engine noise. I drive a little Mazda 3 2.0, most of the time with the windows open (as in the videos), and I have a hard time hearing any engine noise unless at high revs. The setting is on high sensitivity and I plan on trying medium next. The mic also seems to pick up the lower frequencies easier than the high. Audio isn't a huge deal for my particular use and I think it is more than adequate but of course that is very relative. With the size and cost constraints I doubt the mic is a super high quality piece but I didn't even realize the camera came with a mic...so bonus nacho in my mind!

Appreciate the feedback..

JD

important to add the EVA foam pad to the mount surface also as the rattle that can sometimes happen is clearly audible without the foam pad installed

BxeWwz5.png

For me the gold standard is the performance and sound quality from the Mobius which is outstanding. My original SG9665GC was essentially just as good so I've been puzzled and a little disappointed by the unanticipated sound problems that were never there previously.

Edit: Yes, everyone should be using the EVA pads!

...It's my understand that forthcoming firmware has some volume controls which are designed to deal with this known issue but to me the problem feels more like an oversensitive microphone circuit more than a general volume issue. Anyone else have a comment on this?
I'm currently running a V2 camera with the 20160125 (beta) F/W with the volume level option. The option does work and my impression is that even at the HIGH setting the recorded level is lower than my V1 with no adjustment - which is sensitive, but IMO, not overly so. Not really a fair comparison since it's two different H/W releases both running beta F/W.

My vehicle has ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) that monitors the ambient sound levels in the cabin and generates counter noise through the audio system. Since any dash cam is mounted close to the speakers they have a tendency to pick up the generated counter noise so any 'in car' testing is pretty much hit-and-miss.

I have plans to revert the F/W on the V2 back to the release version and do some controlled (out of vehicle) testing. It's just a matter of whether that is more important (or interesting) than doing my taxes. :rolleyes:

Ahh I was wondering what those were for. I really need to find the time to do a do-over install with my recent education/experience.

I'm currently running a V2 camera with the 20160125 (beta) F/W with the volume level option. The option does work and my impression is that even at the HIGH setting the recorded level is lower than my V1 with no adjustment - which is sensitive, but IMO, not overly so. Not really a fair comparison since it's two different H/W releases both running beta F/W.

My vehicle has ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) that monitors the ambient sound levels in the cabin and generates counter noise through the audio system. Since any dash cam is mounted close to the speakers they have a tendency to pick up the generated counter noise so any 'in car' testing is pretty much hit-and-miss.

I have plans to revert the F/W on the V2 back to the release version and do some controlled (out of vehicle) testing. It's just a matter of whether that is more important (or interesting) than doing my taxes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I have a V1 firmware here that also has the audio level controls, will share that with you shortly

I have a V1 firmware here that also has the audio level controls, will share that with you shortly
That's cool. Because of radio interference from the rear camera in my wife's car I finally broke down and ordered a BlackSys CF-100. Now I'll have a 'spare' V1 to play with in my car and do a true side-by-side with the V1 and V2.

That will definitely have to wait until after my taxes are done though - or they will never get done. :(

That's cool. Because of radio interference from the rear camera in my wife's car I finally broke down and ordered a BlackSys CF-100. Now I'll have a 'spare' V1 to play with in my car and do a true side-by-side with the V1 and V2.

That will definitely have to wait until after my taxes are done though - or they will never get done. :(

no problem, it has GPS time sync as well which I think was something else you mentioned you were waiting for

I have seen several times where SG9665GC and x cams in my windscreen is having problem catching licenceplates, but the mobius that cover my left side some times capture the plate where the other cams fail, and at 80 km/h highway speeds we are only talking about 4 - 5 frames where the mobius do its job, or 1-2 frames if we only count the ones where the plate can be seen on the oncomming car.
If they can 1 up the old mobius with the new one, well then i think i will try and get my hands of one of them when they get released, it is indeed a astonishing little camera.

Different perspective is always going to deliver different results, even if it were the same camera models being used, sometimes it works to your advantage, sometimes not

Back