SG9665GC Install and Sample vids - 2013 Lancer Ex

jaro

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Dash Cam
SG9665GC (front), Gitup1(rear)
After a couple of months of waiting my SG9665GC finally arrived :).

Below are couple of pics of the quick install that I did.
20160117_111818_24060956329_o.jpg 20160117_111918_23801949983_o.jpg 20160117_111938_23801952113_o.jpg 20160117_112020_24402527796_o.jpg 20160117_112035_24346265551_o.jpg 20160117_112049_24346265131_o.jpg 20160117_112129_24402509056_o.jpg 20160117_112138_23801905043_o.jpg

As you can see the camera is set a little bit high, and hopefully the gps and power cord are not stressed on that state.
the lights are blocks by the rear view mirror, the cons on this setup is that I need to lean up just to make sure that the camera is recording.
I've decided to place the gps at the dash (left side) to compliment my car stock gps (right side).
Having a tinted from windows does help hiding the camera, added to the fact that I have a dusty window :p. (speaking of dusty window, it seems that from I need to dust my front every night or every day before I go out, never notice how quickly my car get dusty).
And yup, I did install the cpl upside down :p

Below are sample videos
Night
Direct link
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/9gqqa5a3g90j2g3/2016_0112_174607_058.MOV

Day
direct link
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/c89cligmbhnc5y6/2016_0113_232304_105.MOV

Disregard the date time since I forgot that the time setting was on 24hr not 12hr-am/pm.
as of recording the firmware I am using is SG2015926.v2 - I've already upgraded to the latest beta firmware as of writing.

Attachments

• 20160117_111926_23801949873_o.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
the CPL filter is on upside down, still works that way but if the lens isn't glued in it could work loose over time

Nice discrete set-up, almost like in my car, - just below RVmirror sun-shade area.

^ placement the unit has its pros and cons.
The good is that the three lights would not bother me when driving, but, as I just found out, there is also no way to tell that the camera was off while driving ( and I do make sure that the camera is running before I drive).

Curious to know if the included power cord have somewhat a low voltage cutoff? I attribute the camera suddenly being shut off with my car battery being old (3 years plus).

There is no low voltage cutoff in the included power lead, if your car was putting out less than 12v when running would indicate a bigger problem

There is no low voltage cutoff in the included power lead, if your car was putting out less than 12v when running would indicate a bigger problem

I guess it's time to replace the battery, been holding it off for quite sometime.

Edit: Just confirmed that the camera did not record from the start of my travel from home to office, which is funny because I always check for the 3 light (one blinking) before I drive off.

Last edited:
as @jokiin mentioned, I have my cpl placed upside down :p . Since there seems no adverse effect on some on the recorded videos so I decided to let it be... well not until I noticed the halo effect is somewhat noticeable on some video , and then found out that the lens have somewhat moved (not centered) - my cpl belong to the loose lens batch.

So for now I am using the GC without cpl, and as you guess it dashboard reflection did manifest, some case minor some are major.

Below is a sample recording.
direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3fl43t1ybng363z/DayLight+without+CPL.MOV
Btw: EV is set to +2

And here is GC in action after being baked under the sun for almost an hour.
direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/p4d4r7fobp8kuyb/After+1+hr+parking+under+the+sun.MOV

And a quick and funny night video

Next on the to do list is run the GC using 64gb and 124gb micro sd card.

All of the recording is under the latest beta FW

just make sure to format in camera, it will trip up initially until you do that first format but once you do that you're good to go

thank you for the heads up. I did not panic when I encountered a 'card full' error message when I first inserted the 128gb memory card.

Night Sample 2.

Same place and almost the same time as with the first night sample.
The only diff is that I did not used the cpl.

I guess the cpl will be off unless I view/encounter a bad case of window glare (w/c so far haven't happened yet)

^ placement the unit has its pros and cons.
The good is that the three lights would not bother me when driving, but, as I just found out, there is also no way to tell that the camera was off while driving ( and I do make sure that the camera is running before I drive).

Curious to know if the included power cord have somewhat a low voltage cutoff? I attribute the camera suddenly being shut off with my car battery being old (3 years plus).

I guess it's time to replace the battery, been holding it off for quite sometime.

Edit: Just confirmed that the camera did not record from the start of my travel from home to office, which is funny because I always check for the 3 light (one blinking) before I drive off.

This is an update for the camera being shut off problem/phenomena that I have been intermittently experiencing.

It seems that the actual root cause of the issue is the Power Adapter (the one with the ferrite).
I don't know what exactly the cause of the sudden power failure. what I do know is that whenever you notice that GC is not powered or have no power, you have to physically unplug and re-plug the power adapter.

Initially I thought that it a battery problem since my car battery is nearing its eol.
Installing a second camera at the back somehow help me in uncovering the problem (two camera is being powered by 2 port cigarette splitter).
While I was driving yesterday, I suddenly notice that the GC have no power (or is not powered). I quickly glance at back to see if the 2nd camera (CF-100) is not powered also, but that is not the case as the CF-100 is still on.
What I did (as what I alwasy did before whenever I notice that the GC is not powered) was I unplug and re-plugged the 2 port cigarette splitter. But somehow only the CF-100 is the only one being powered.
I was only able to power the GC when I physically unplug and re-plug the power adapter (which was place inside the glove box).

Base on forum posts this is not a spread out problem and (for now) not a big deal, but somehow put a dent in my plan of hardwiring both of the camera.

As writing I have switched port to crossed out the possibility that it is a port related problem.

will update again when I encounter the same problem (already contemplating on using the extra power adapter that I have).

some of those double port adapters aren't great for this, I've found the ones with a flat shiny metal plate that goes across the bottom of the sockets seem to be the worse, not sure what type you have but might be worth bypassing that and plug into your regular cig socket instead to test, if you think the adapter is faulty though we can arrange a replacement, let us know how you get on

Posting some updates
Day Video series

Night Video series (and not so good driving behavior)

all videos are taken using the latest beta firmware (26) with EV = +1/3 and center weighted.
  • Decided to stick with the EV = +1/3 since it produces good night videos unlike when it is set to default.
  • there seems to be an improvement in night videos.
  • the mic seems to be boosted, there is a noticeable difference in audio before. (was not able to follow the changelog of the FW, but I do remember there are options available before but now missing)
  • I do like the speed display
  • There is some odd behavior whenever I start the car, almost all of the first recording a less than 5 secs , the rest are normal 3min segment (this might be due to boot delay, not sure if I made some changes in the past)
  • I'm not being bothered by the dashboard reflection as before (I guess my cpl will be place under the bin, unless we are having a long trip at the province)
  • I am not bothered by the 'missing Building' clip, as long as the important details (cars and pedestrian in front are seen clearly.
  • I think my GC is indeed of lens cleaning.

no volume adjustment options in the latest beta but you should find better audio quality without having to adjust anyway

the mic seems to be boosted, there is a noticeable difference in audio compared from before. (was not able to follow the changelog of the FW, but I do remember there are options available before but now missing)
missed typed :p

Just read the 'Release notes.txt' (surprised to see it in the other thread), and so far I like all the additional function added.

I think I need to thinker more on the setting to find a sweet spot and also take note of all the setting that I have in my GC, so that I could easy re-set the GC after a FW update (no second guessing).

some of those double port adapters aren't great for this, I've found the ones with a flat shiny metal plate that goes across the bottom of the sockets seem to be the worse, not sure what type you have but might be worth bypassing that and plug into your regular cig socket instead to test, if you think the adapter is faulty though we can arrange a replacement, let us know how you get on

I've noticed the same with some splitters/adapters. Had one camera with the same symptoms listed here, I too thought it was the power supply at first. After some testing, I figured out it was the splitter. Replaced it and haven't had the issue again since.

Sharing additional recordings.

RAW:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V4UxMnXg6hYUtpOGI4NkNXb1U

Notice the sky whenever the GC would be coming under the shadows. ideally I would like the sky would be blown (seeing how beautiful it is), but I guess this is the limitation of current setting that I have on GC.
Funny thing about the speed display, iirc it is dependent on the gps. And I never thought that area would be hard to get a signal.

Current settings
WDR = ON
EV = +1/3
AE = Centered

Any suggestion on what setting that I need to adjust?. will be having a out of town trip this weekend, so I would have a night and day recording.

Sample Video.

Running Beta 26 - AE: Centered - EV: +1/3
(dirty window)
I guess this might be the most stressed the GC when it comes to recording (I also felt somewhat dizzy when we drive at this part)
Raw: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9V4UxMnXg6hMVZRQ2hmbUJMT0k/view?usp=sharing

Below are take right after upgrading to the latest FW (aka beta 30).
Decided to test AE: Lowered retaining EV: +1/3

Sample Day Recording
Raw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V4UxMnXg6hYnNhSm9HYWp1emM

Sample Night Recording
Raw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V4UxMnXg6hWGxVWUN6U0t2a1U

Random Recording
Raw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V4UxMnXg6hYndvQ3BmVTB0ck0

Not sure if it is just me or not, but I am not happy with the night recording. So now I am reverting back AE: Centered and see any visible difference between the two.

clean your lens cam and your windsheild

Back