SG9665GC V1 teardown (and some EMI measurements/shielding)

Hex

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
Hi,
welcome to everyones favorite segment: Teardown!

Foreword
After swapping my car over a year ago I dind't install the SG9665GC again because back then I had issues with RFI. I could either use amateur-radio and listen to DAB+ radio or record the traffic and listen to music from the USB drive. Normal FM radio was also getting noisy when the SG9665GC was running. Back then the DAB aerial was mounted on the windscreen, approximately 50cm away from the cam. The USB power cable for the cam is DIY made of 2x 0,5mm² litz wire (AWG21 - AWG20) to fit around the windscreen and behind the airbags.

After the last RFI-thread I thought it would be a shame to let the SG9665GC rot in the basement. Because any warranty is long gone I could also do a teardown and some shielding attempts.
Now the SG9665GC is again mounted on the windscreen but the DAB aerial is mounted near the hatch, approximately 2m away from the cam.

Teardown

I couldn't find any teardown of the SG9665GC, so here we go. The Cam is V1.
The case is held together by four screws, two might be covered by labels.
W25TU3s.jpg

The camera must point upwards a little bit to disassemble, also mind the cable for the speaker.

To take out the sensor/lens assembly remove two screws which hold the adjustment knobs.
vbQQuyw.jpg

Now you can access the main PCB
wfjQwff.jpg

Remove the tape from the capacitors and mainboard. The PCB is marked with "B40 MB_V21_20150129"
fQoXQXt.jpg

Now you can see the Novatec processor NT96655BG with RAM HXB15H1C160BF (couldn't find a datasheet, probably its 1Gbit) on the right and FLASH 25L3206E (32Mbit) on top. Below there is a battery and a crystal for the RTC and also some pads, probably for a serial interface.

The connector for the FFC (flexible flat cable) towards the sensor/lens assembly is behind the caps
pz2fDqi.jpg

Lift the caps carefully, they are attached to the FFC and connector with adhesive tape
wydmOVk.jpg

Lift the black clip on the connector upwards to disconnect the FFC. Don't forget to mark the FFC...

Below the FCC the main crystal/oscillator was hidden
uYEC9nw.jpg

Now you can continue with the sensor/lens assembly
zvpaKrU.jpg

The case consists of two plastic part holding together with four clips. The PCB is screwed to the front of the case
1oA9a5B.jpg

The two bigger screws in the middle of the PCB hold the lens assembly, the screws diagonally hold the PCB.

Unscrew the PCB to get out the sensor/lens assembly
g1cMZXd.jpg

QjSXVGd.jpg

kVY6XpE.jpg

As promised the lens and lens holder is made of metal. The lens is glued in with a good amount of glue which does not come of easily (in case you want to adjust the focus).

The sensor PCB is marked with "IMX122_V01 840_SEN 20141230" and contains probably the low noise LDOs (low dropout linear voltage regulator) requiered for the sensor
BWRNfrd.jpg

With the sensor/lens assembly removed you can unscrew the three screws holding the mainboard and remove it
9T0j2BA.jpg

Buttons
Lo7wbTR.jpg

And LEDs
7Y57IuZ.jpg

The LCD is also connected with a FFC to the mainboard and hold by the black platic frame clipped on the mainboard. Unclip carefully and lift off the LCD
kAUgivhg.jpg

Slide the black clip backwards to disconnect the FFC
aR9mXxX.jpg

Remove the LCD
JNfkjxI.jpg

l5bojHJ.jpg

Teardown finished!

RFI part in the following posts...

Regards
Hex

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Saves me from having to tear mine apart.

Can you include the GPS unit when you do the RFI tests?

Can you include the GPS unit when you do the RFI tests?
The measurements with the spectrum analyzer are already done, unfortunately without GPS receiver because it is already mounted inside of the car (and inside the lab there is no GPS reception). Maybe I'll do some measurements inside the car.

Because there are no more than 20 Pictures allowed, here the next few measurements.

Temperature measurements
Took some measurements with a thermal camera. Left is the infrared image (white = hot, blue/black = cold) and on the right the normal image. The temperature readings are the maximum of the box. The measurements are taken at room temperature (~23°C) and when the camera was running a few minutes.

Mainboard
2iDFKuH.jpg

The hotspots are the Novatec processor (Bx2) of course but also a diode (Bx1, SMD marking "SL")
Not sure if it is for reverse polarity protection or a Zener to limit the voltage across the caps. When off, I measured the same voltage across the diode as across the caps. Only the cathode is directly connected to + of the caps, anode is high impedance (a few kOhm or so).

The hot diode is blocked in this one by the capacitors
nVORf6C.jpg

Novatec processor (Bx1)

XCvZtXE.jpg

Diode (Bx1), Novatec processor (Bx2) and sensor PCB (Bx3)

Diode is blocked again
NwPOw8L.jpg

Novatec processor (Bx1) and RAM (Bx2)

Sensor PCB
Lb83ljQ.jpg

The temperature of the diode bothers me a little bit, already reaching 80°C at room temperature is not directly problematic but surely limits it's lifetime. Assumed we get 50°C environment temperature when the sun hits the cam and 60°C on the PCB the diode would get around 120°C hot. With typical limit of 150°C junction temperature there is not too much headroom.

Not sure if it is for reverse polarity protection or a Zener to limit the voltage across the caps. When off, I measured the same voltage across the diode as across the caps.

I'd expect it to be a schottky for backflow protection from the caps. Maybe its power rating is under rated?

I would expect it to heat up a bit from the inrush charging of the capacitor (if theres no resistor limiter) but since you say its been running for a few minutes its probably not the case.

Can you unsolder and check the Vf of the diode?

if memory card slot can move to other cool section, or diot and processor can rearrange, then the dashcam would be like mobius: can use almost any kind of memory card.
by colour, i think temp of memory slot has to be at least 50C. It's pretty high.

if memory card slot can move to other cool section, or diot and processor can rearrange, then the dashcam would be like mobius: can use almost any kind of memory card.
by colour, i think temp of memory slot has to be at least 50C. It's pretty high.

there's only so many ways you can lay them out before the camera needs to change size and shape to accommodate the changes, this is one of the first V1 boards and there have been a couple of revisions and component changes since then so the results from the V2 and later versions may differ also, there's some thermal measurements of the Mobius on the site here somewhere that someone else did a few years ago, don't see it often as not too many people have access to thermal imaging cameras

Never had any issue with the micro-SD. At the moment Im using a SanDisk 128 GB SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA.

Your guess was pretty good, here are the temperatures at the card connector
fFpsUQJ.jpg

Don't let you fool by the "cold" case of the connector, in LWIR bare metal has a very low emissivity and acts like a mirror reflecting the temperature of the surrounding. A more accurate reading is the SD-card shining trough or the PCB nearby.

RFI measurements
Measurements were done with a H-Field probe connected to a Keysight signal analyzer. I probed around the guts of the camera to see what is working or emitting on which frequencies. Most of the captures are done with peak hold to capture glitches.

Wideband measurement up to 6 GHz
At first a reference shot with the SG9665GC turned off to identify other transmitters
ZNP2IBz.png

Near marker 1: analog FM radio transmitters
Near marker 2: digital TV transmitters and GSM900
Between marker 2 & 3: LTE, GSM1800, ...
Marker 3: WiFi 2,4GHz
Marker 4: WiFi 5 GHz

And with the SG9665GC turned on and probing around
N2vRGze.png

As you can see most stuff is going on under 1 GHz so we change the upper frequency to get a better resolution.
The Peaks near marker 3 & 4 can most likely ignored because they are emitted by WiFi devices nearby.

Measurement up to 1 GHz
At first also the reference shot
NRzSed0.png

This time I could not guess what transmitters are causing these peaks.
Anyway, here with the SG9665GC turned on and probing around
QQ4EwAt.png

The peak at 111 MHz is common at pretty much every measurement. The markers are sorted (mostly) by decreasing power.

Now for the individual components and locations
Power input
wxQQqjJ.jpg

7k2AgAG.png

This one was done to see how much is radiated by the power cable and what potential ferrite needs to block.

SD-card slot
fvdYdYM.jpg

yz5DlO3.png

Here you can see the intense amount of noise generated. The FFC from the sensor is coupling probably as well...

FFC
4fqkAfB.jpg

VDak9YU.png

The interface towards the sensor is probably the major contributor to the emitted RFI
Measurement in average-mode to see the more or less continous emission
VY1TNMm.png

Novatec processor
Ao7XwRF.jpg

Uxy2oiZ.png

Of course these measurements are are not relating to a credible power level but are an indicator for possible RFI. As you can see most of the emitted peaks are near frequencies I need to have "clean".
111 MHz: analog FM radio
148 MHz: HAM radio
185 MHz: DAB radio
For getting credible values something like a GTEM cell is needed. It would be interesting to get the measurements (which maybe have been done for CE and FCC conformance tests) from the manufacturer. Especially the difference between V1 and V3 would be valuable because my V1 has a very old PCB. I would not hesitate to buy a SG9665GC V3 if I knew it would perform better in terms of RFI.

RFI shielding
At the moment most shielding is done floating. While not shielding as good as galvanically connected shields it does provide a lower capacitance and thus not interfering with the high speed signals.
The general approach is: Cover parts and the PCB with capton tape to insulate, then add adhesive copper foil.

At first the back of the LCD. Apply copper foil...
8M4Mo90.jpg

...and capton tape
Ae9wlzr.jpg

Here the capton tape is put on top of the copper foil so it is not shorting anything on the PCB.

Apply some copper foil to the case
CldH7N2.jpg

Make sure to cut out parts of the reset-button and the SD-card slot
WoQ4o4T.jpg

Put the mainbord back inside the case
fhJPEAA.jpg

Insulate the components with capton tape
whtfogz.jpg

And apply copper foil
6Q9ovvR.jpg

And connect to the shield on the side of the case
8Jkrx7e.jpg

Here the processor and RAM are not covered with capton tape because I want to use the copper foil as additional heatsink.
For something becoming a heatsink you have normaly three ways to get the heat away:
1. Radiation
2. Convection
3. Forced air or liquid
Forced air is clearly not possible because we do not want a humming fan inside the cam.
Convection is restricted because the PCB is mounted horizontally and thus the major part is radiation.
Because the bare copper does not radiate heat very well it needs to be covered with something that has a high emissivity. You can find a bit explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_cube

So to increase the emissivity capton tape is applied on top
6pqDpYR.jpg

The usual taping continues at the sensor PCB. First capton
EpopN7q.jpg

then copper
Wfp6A21.jpg

The FFC has already some tape, so just add the copper foil
NpjwiEd.jpg

Connect to the sensor and put in some bends
8LG0qGm.jpg

Install the sensor in the case
rRnh5Zo.jpg

At this point I put the cam inside the car and did a test drive to check the DAB reception. Unfortunately it did not improve much. Because more is better I improved the shielding further.

Connected the floating shield from the FFC with the mainboard (yes, the wire should be as short as possible but unfortunately it needs to move so I can adjust the angel of the lens)
xMY2WO3.jpg

Add some capacitors directly across the power from USB plug (100 nF and 1µF MLCC in parallel) and add more kapton for insualtion. You know where this is going...

Add more copper foil
AQLNDpA.jpg

Somehow this picture is a bit buggy. Try i.imgur.com/AQLNDpA.jpg

This is the current stage of shielding. It did improve a bit as you can see from the measurements coming next. Unfortunately when the cam is running the DAB signal level is still reduced by ~30%. So when driving further away from the transmission tower there are still locations where no reception with running cam is possible.

Last edited:
RFI measurements after shielding

I don't know why, but it seems like I had captured in averaging-mode again. So the peaks are not as high as with max hold from the previous measurements.

USB port
rAZFFRL.png

SD-card slot/FFC
x8FUUiu.png

Sensor Board/FFC
fcV0CNY.png

Processor/RAM
mMOuSYw.png

LCD
2r629Ue.png

Conclusion
The current shielding is helping a little bit, unfortunately the cam is still not as "clean" as I want it to be. The next steps are probably:
  • Shielding the mainboard completely (except for the connectors and LEDs)
  • Solder the shield directly to GND
  • Use a more flexible shielding (braid) for the FFC
  • Shield the sensor PCB completely and connect it to GND
  • Solder the braid directly to the shield from the mainboard and sensor
  • Add a filter to the power (and maybe GPS) connector
These points should cause the guts of the cam to be completely shielded like in a Faraday cage.
If this still won't help it might to be taken as given...

Regards
Hax

Top-notch work Hax (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I think the braid and shield-to-ground changes will be what gives the most improvement, though I admit I know almost nothing of image sensors. And indeed I see several frequency peaks where they could be a problem for a lot of folks :eek: I don't know if those could be easily shifted to less troublesome frequencies as some of this must be inherent in the workings of the processors etc so that the can manufacturer is stuck with them. Some changes would be welcome though ;)

I do know that with today's trend toward 'smart' devices with wireless connectivity we are going to see far more RFI issues in the future with everything :( We are doing this to ourselves, and often without any real need :mad: I fear that until everyone has big problems with it that nothing will change to keep it from happening, and I do worry what those changes will be.

Many 73,
Phil

Reactions: Hex
I almost forgot some screenshots taken with a SDRplay software defined radio (SDR).
The SDR had a 2m λ/4 fake Nagoya antenna and a FM radio blocking filter installed, the cam was 1m away from the antenna. Unfortunately I forgot to note down the gain values before shielding, so the screenshots before and after shielding are not 100% comparable but give a little indication how the signal looks.

DAB radio before shielding
XJbBouv.png

DAB radio after shielding
lKpO2IK.png

2m amateur radio band before shielding
zmrTWdx.png

The "waves" are most likely artefacts from out of band interference

2m amateur radio band after shielding
2owxv3W.png

And the interference at some of the peak-frequencies measured with the spectrum analyzer
111 MHz before shielding
hmVRH8N.png

111 MHz after shielding
5Mr1mYa.png

185 MHz before shielding
x4RYwUD.png

185 MHz after shielding
QTPUez7.png

As you can see the "frequency zoo" is a little bit more contained with shielding and the SNR at DAB radio improved from ~30dB to ~40dB.

What I'm most impressed about with all this is that you've got some really nice toys to play with. :D

what is the serial number of your camera, I can tell it is a very early one due to components used but helpful to know which production run this was from

Isn't RFi coming from power supply of the camera?

Extreme shielding
As promised, this is and was my last attempt to make the cam "clean".
Good news first: IT IS CLEAN :D (at least with the first checks)
Bad news: It took nearly 5 hours to do so :coffee:

I started with the mainboard again. Cover with capton and scrape of the solder stop to access the groundplane
VVeeLiD.jpg

Cut away the capton near the buttons and where you want to solder
hpMvaIf.jpg

If you want the white LED to stay white (and not some capton colored yellow) you can also replace the capton above the LED with some clear plastic film.

Cover with copper foil and solder the segments together and to the ground plane
BkE03FC.jpg

BamX5ej.jpg

Connect the LCD, don't forget to add copper foil over the FFC from the LCD.
QEVTpK6.jpg

Next is the Sensor/Lens assembly. Cover with capton
eNnjE28.jpg

Put the copper foil on top and solder it to the ground plane.
PN66DXI.jpg

wA6anYh.jpg

Get some copper braid (mine was from a shielded cable) and stretch it until the FFC fits into it.
0Gk1DII.jpg

Put the FFC into the braid
NDYWh9I.jpg

Connect the FFC to the sensor PCB and solder the braid to the copper foil
lsLj9KU.jpg

Plug in the FFC, solder some of the braid to the copper foil and stuff the rest under the capacitors.
WJMc0Kq.jpg

As final step the rest of the braid was connected with copper foil because I didn't want to solder near the plastic connectors.
FS7OFom.jpg

Fin!

Last edited:
Haha good job :D
Appreciate your detailed posting :)

RFI after extreme shielding
Here are the results from the SDR. Sometimes I needed to double check if I turned it on :D

DAB
Cam off
wc2tofs.png

Cam on
8PcdJpe.png

You can see a faint dotted line appear near 175,00 MHz and 180,25 MHz when the cam is on.

Before shielding with braid
8ux88QB.png

2m Amateur radio
Cam off
1s2LfNT.png

Cam on
0aVmhcG.png

You can see the peaks between 148,3125 MHz and 148,75 MHz get stronger. Not sure if this is caused by the cam or the cable acting as an antenna.

ou3tJjK.png

111 MHz
Cam off
W1zgC6R.png

Cam on
keUal1P.png

A little bit more noise.. maybe.

eV21sZH.png

185 MHz
Cam off
BimUexo.png

Cam on
cIFoJDb.png

Oh, look at the peaks appearing near 185,500 MHz :ROFLMAO:

yFNUoTv.png

And here are the measurements with the spectrum analyzer and H-field probe. These are the only spots where I could measure anything above normal ambient noise level.

Outside directly the SD-Card
oJDX5ec.png

On the other side near the reset-button
x2scXLr.png

And near the LCD
pgzaAlh.png

baddebe9-c191-4f15-949d-8e5cdf8d9b6a

Last edited:
I'd expect it to be a schottky for backflow protection from the caps. Maybe its power rating is under rated?
I would expect it to heat up a bit from the inrush charging of the capacitor (if theres no resistor limiter) but since you say its been running for a few minutes its probably not the case.
Can you unsolder and check the Vf of the diode?
Unfortunately I couldn't desolder it because I wanted to finish the shielding.
Now I measured 4,37 V across the diode when the cam is off, the same voltage can also be measured across the two caps. There is the same diode also near the GPS-connector, so probably acting as a OR-ing circuit for the power.

what is the serial number of your camera, I can tell it is a very early one due to components used but helpful to know which production run this was from
Serial is SGGC15250393. Can you tell me when it was produced?

Isn't RFi coming from power supply of the camera?
RFI can be generated by virtually everything (even corroded drain pipes can cause RFI because it acted as a diode and was modulated by strong transmitters nearby). Mostly it's generated by switch mode power supplies though.
This is the post that started my interest in the cam again: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/rfi.28662/#post-340538
Here you can see the original power supply (probably an old one) caused RFI. After switching to a good one (Anker 24W, bought a few years ago) the second source, the SG9665GC, caused also RFI when the image sensor was active.

Haha good job :D
Appreciate your detailed posting :)
Thanks, this was my goal. I also appreciate when others show some more details.

Back