SG9665GC (v2 - 2016) mounting

Gary D

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple of years ago, I purchased a SG9665GC (from pier28? via amazon)... this was back when the CPL was a brand new thing and I had to order it separately. Anyway, a year ago (early March, so nearly exactly a year ago) I had my windshield replaced and the installer was able to salvage the thin camera mount, but the cable tray part broke, so I ordered a replacement cable tray. I had enough spare 3M tape in the original kit to remount everything.

As (bad) luck would have it, I again have to have my windshield replaced. (I guess the end of Feb / beginning of March is a rocky time of year.) This time, I don't have enough spare 3M tape to remount anything, and the cable tray should probably be replaced as the clips that hold the top seem to have warped inwards (preventing them from holding the two parts together without using the screw.) I see on amazon I can order a thin plate mount as one part (that seems to come with 1 piece of 3M tape), and the same old cable tray as a different part (and I'm not sure if that comes with the 3M tape or not - the product description doesn't state either way.) I _also_ need a piece of tape for mounting the GPS (but I don't see that on amazon.)

Is there something where I can order both parts together - along with the tape for the GPS? (Is there any better option for the cable tray - perhaps one that lasts more than a year without requiring a screw to hold it together?)

As a side note, I find it somewhat amusing that in 2 years I've gone through 2 windshields, but the dashcam is working perfectly. I usually expect electronics to fail long before windshields.

Take care
Gary

Hello please send me a private message or support email. I’ll hook you up with a discounted replacement bundle deal for everything you need. And yes cable tray on Amazon comes with 3M adhesive. I’ll update the description

I appreciate the ongoing support. I ended up just ordering (via amazon for the free weekend delivery) the mounting tape for the base, and yet another cable cover. It's probably cheaper for everyone involved to let Amazon deal with shipping it.

I am curious - is the cable cover made with ABS? The clips do seem to deform inwards over the summer time. I'm thinking of trying to design an improved part that would be similar to the original, but instead of having the clips just sticking out, adding some kind of reinforcement there that would (hopefully) lessen the heat-related deforming (and 3D printing it.) On the other hand, if it's ABS, I can just 3D print reinforcement pieces only and use acetone to chemically weld the reinforcement in place.

(I don't want to screw the cover in place, as the cover prevents un-mounting the camera, and I've found it useful to be able to remove the camera from the mount quickly in order to get an image of something next to my car - such as the name tag of a police officer who just pulled me over for running a stop sign that the video clearly shows I stopped at.)

the cover is PC+ABS, we have done a redesign on that cover for the new model which will hopefully be a better arrangement for the way it clips together

Back