SG9665GC v2 Hot/stuck pixels + video quality issue

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
Installed the SG9665GC v2 today.

Getting hot/stuck pixels in 3 different areas of the view. Youtube video set to 1080p shows the lower right side ones but the others are faint. There are a couple in the lower-centre and one on the top-centre section.

Not as prominent on lit roads and market areas but they start popping out as soon as the view gets dark.

Also the video quality does not look as sharp and focussed in comparison to other user videos.

Hope this is not a hardware issue!?

Please help!

vlcsnap-2016-06-15-22h10m44s660.png

On-road video of showing the hot/stuck pixels ( Last few seconds with headlights off; show the defects clearly)

Night-time video quality. Should be better..

Also, is this the correct fitment of the CPL, or do I need flip it 180 degrees side-ways?

IMAG0014_2.jpg

Last edited:
Pixel calibration instructions sent via private message (so you can re try both hot/cold)

The challenge with calibration is you do them in the factory on a brand new sensor and not every bright pixel shows up in such a short time

CPL can be installed either direction.

I don't see a video quality issue here. Post raw uncompressed files via mega.nz
(youtube compresses)

Last edited:
Don't have access to mega.nz. Can I upload it to dropbox and PM you the link?

I also have a "soft" focus problem ever since I installed the CPL.

The CPL has nothing to do in relation to focus of the camera. If your camera has a soft focus, it will remain with or without CPL

Last edited:
The CPL had nothing to do in relation to focus of the camera.
CPL makes better and richer overall picture + reduces glare, but slightly degrades the clarity.
You need to choose one of the two options

Usually with a CPL, the overall quality takes a hit in the brightness department, hence especially during night-time it may appear that there's a loss in clarity.

The CPL has nothing to do in relation to focus of the camera. If your camera has a soft focus, it will remain with or without CPL

While I totally agree with this statement as the units are fixed focus.... But after using the CPL, there is a degradation of the picture quality... Maybe I shouldn't say soft focus... But the picture is generally not as sharp without the CPL.

CPL lens filter adds about 1 F-stop, this is the unfortunate nature of most polarized lens.

Here is a full resolution frame grab, looks ok

wdeyO1r.png

Video post calibration

The hot pixels are gone. :)

Yet to check daytime quality and play around with the metering and EV; with and without the polariser. Hope there are no further niggles.

@Pier28 - Thank you for the lightning fast support.

I saw nothing wrong with your night video sample. There's a bit of halo around light sources but that could be attributed to your windscreen not being as clean as it could be.

Regarding image degradation with a CPL - by adding the filter with a 1-stop difference in exposure at a minimum you can introduce more motion blur than there would be without the filter. This can look like a softer image.

Regarding image degradation with a CPL - by adding the filter with a 1-stop difference in exposure at a minimum you can introduce more motion blur than there would be without the filter. This can look like a softer image.

the filter also has 4 layers of glass so will take the edge off things, in some cases the reduction of reflections far outweighs the small loss of clarity, particularity when the reflections are of heavily textured dashboard surfaces as they tend to make things look like they're out of focus due to the pattern

The windscreen was last cleaned about two weeks ago from the inside, will clean it tomorrow before any further scrutinising of videos. Thanks

I also have 3M's SP70 film installed on the inside of the front windscreen. It cuts glare from oncoming vehicles and the surroundings. Does the film affect video quality? It's a clear film.

Last edited:
The film is as clear as they can get. At the dealers place they had different films stuck to the office glass door, one couldn't tell if the clear one was even there or not.

If it does affect quality, I just have to live with the minuscule degradation, can't compromise on its heat rejection feature. Was 48 degrees celsius a few days back.

The film is as clear as they can get. At the dealers place they had different films stuck to the office glass door, one couldn't tell if the clear one was even there or not.

If it does affect quality, I just have to live with the minuscule degradation, can't compromise on it's heat rejection feature. Was 48 degrees celsius a few days back.

have seen reports of this before with those clear films, the slight degradation though is worth it for the benefits they can offer

the filter also has 4 layers of glass so will take the edge off things, in some cases the reduction of reflections far outweighs the small loss of clarity, particularity when the reflections are of heavily textured dashboard surfaces as they tend to make things look like they're out of focus due to the pattern

Yes, it is a balance. I rather minimize all the dash reflections and live with a softer picture. The benefits of the CPL is totally worth it...at least for me.

Not at all happy with the daytime quality.

The focus is not sharp and is extremely short. Number plates are only readable when you're almost a metre away from the vehicle in front, as soon as the distance increases, everything gets fuzzy. Road signs, overhead boards, cars on the sides show the GC struggling.

Lot of motion blur and fuzziness. Sky looks blown out.

This does not look anything like the videos I saw, while making up my mind to get the SG9665GC.

Have I received a lemon?

Please help!

Videos

Back