SG9665GC V3 Initial Recordings Delayed

FranzWesson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll get right to it: I recently noticed that my camera appears to power on and begin recording as soon as I start my vehicle, but the first recorded video doesn't actually write to the SDcard. If I skim through all of my past driving sessions, the first video is me in mid-drive, NOT backing out of my parking spot.

I've experimented with two sdcards (formatted both using sd card formatter) No change.

I also experimented with increasing the boot delay (5 -> 15). No change.

Firmware version is the latest one available on the SG website (appears to be March '18)

Any ideas?

Have you tried to reload the firmware ?

Be sure to format inside the camera, even after using the SD Formatter.

I've had similar symptoms in the past that were power related. Are you by any chance using a USB port in the vehicle for power to the camera?

Be sure to format inside the camera, even after using the SD Formatter.

I *think* I did this when I swapped cards, but I don't recall. I'll do it for sure when I ultimately end up reflashing the firmware.

I've had similar symptoms in the past that were power related. Are you by any chance using a USB port in the vehicle for power to the camera?

Hard-wired in. Coincidentally, you participated in the thread I previously made about that issue. It's been fine since then (almost two years now).

...Hard-wired in. Coincidentally, you participated in the thread I previously made about that issue. It's been fine since then (almost two years now).
Given my only comment in that thread was very much tongue-in-cheek you must have an extremely liberal definition of 'participated'. :LOL:

Hope this gets resolved for you. It's surprising how often re-flashing the F/W solves some issues although, IMO, there's really no logical reason for it to do so.

I think jokiin is onto something...

I reflashed my camera last night and wiped the card so it'd have a decent sample size today after work. Hypothetically, I should've had 3 "start" clips: me leaving for work, me leaving for lunch, me leaving for home.

Upon reviewing the videos just now, I am seeing stranger behavior:

1. I see all three "start" videos, but they lack date/time information. This is a step in the right direction from my previous issue where these videos weren't saved at all.
2. The "sessions" do eventually GPS lock and subsequent videos are tagged/written appropriately but the date/time info gets lost between drives.

As such, I have three videos that have a "created" time of 1/1/2018 @ 12:00AM and two additional videos where the GPS hadn't locked and set the time yet during those sessions (3 minutes later, at 12:03 AM).

Feels like it might be power related. I did leave the boot delay option set at default (5 seconds). I can mess with this setting, but perhaps jokiin can chime in as to when the time gets committed to the device? Is it during power on or power off? I suspect my device is either powering on "unevenly" causing the date/time corruption, or it is discharging caps too quickly and not gracefully shutting down.

Any ideas?

Back