SG9665GC V3 keeps "reformatting" itself periodically & endlessly?

Correct, only when it starts. It will show a blue background with the text asking to format. I have to shut the cam off and turn it back on and most of the times it'll just start working then. It's pretty damn annoying and I just don't want it to fail on me when I need it the most.

what firmware version are you on now?

If it happens let me know if formatting when prompted works or you need to power off and back on before it will work
I was on vacation for a couple of weeks so couldn't test it a bunch. This morning same thing happened again with the new version. It asked to format on start up. I have to turn off the dashcam and turn it back on for it to work.

what card are you using now?

what setting are you using in the boot delay menu?

are you using the original power supply?

what card are you using now?

what setting are you using in the boot delay menu?

are you using the original power supply?
1. Transcend premium 64gb. Tried on the Transcend and a samsung(worked fine on a prior dashcam) before I did the version update.
2. I'm assuming whatever default is? Will have to check when I get a chance to.
3. Yes

Cranking up boot delay to the max setting might be a good idea, something seem to be tripping that camera during boot.

download this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (whichever version suits your computer operating system and do a full format of the card to put everything back to factory state, after you've done that format the card in the camera before use, if you use the card in your computer, tablet etc to view files make sure to format the card each time when you put it back in the camera

set the boot delay to 15 seconds and see how it goes, the slight interruption to power when starting the car can cause problems in some cases, a longer boot delay will often sort this out

I'll try the boot delay. I've already done the formatter multiple times and the card tester thing. Cards are fine.

Using the formatter first and then installed the card with the new version file, uploaded it to the dashcam and then formatted the card on the dashcam

make sure when formatting cards to not use the built in formatter in Windows, it doesn't format cards correctly, if you have a card that is having problems best to do a full format using SD Formatter to put it back to its default state, a quick format only resets the partition table and won't correct any errors or mark any problem sectors on the card

see how you go with the extended boot delay though as it could be a car related issue due to power drop during the boot cycle

make sure when formatting cards to not use the built in formatter in Windows, it doesn't format cards correctly, if you have a card that is having problems best to do a full format using SD Formatter to put it back to its default state, a quick format only resets the partition table and won't correct any errors or mark any problem sectors on the card

see how you go with the extended boot delay though as it could be a car related issue due to power drop during the boot cycle
I use the SD formatter when reformatting cards and then format on the dashcam as well after.

Also I am getting the format again even with the boot delay to 15 seconds. The format seems to happen once the card gets filled and happens more often. If the card has a fresh format it doesn't seem to happen for a good week before the cards gets filled. So I am experiencing the issue more now since the card is now full/overwriting if that makes sense.

What you explain with the full card are also sort of what i see with the B1W when the memory card are full, but its not a every time experience in the B1W so at best in that camera i can call it random.

I also experienced a little WTF with my GC V3 a few days ago, after having the card in my card reader and copied some files from it, then upon inserting it in the camera in the car i was prompted to format it.
I can only assume i must have moved the files off and not copied as i have done so often before with no problems.
But your not starting to record i can not replicate with my GC V3 camera.

I just copied files off the GC card again today, and i was not prompted to format it when i put it in the camera in the car, so things are back to normal / flawless operation.

Have you tried to simulate start / stop recordings using a mains PSU or a USB power bank ?
Could be interesting to see if the camera also misbehaved there on different power sources.

Have you tried to simulate start / stop recordings using a mains PSU or a USB power bank ?
Could be interesting to see if the camera also misbehaved there on different power sources.

At this point I'm about done with trying so many different things to get this to work as it should. I've had a way cheaper dashcam that did what it needed to do without issues and wouldn't(which still works fine)expect a higher quality one to do so. Its been acting this way since I got it(the dashcam was refurbished sold by street guardian on ebay). At what point is it to say "ok, the dashcam is faulty". Either the product gets returned, or replaced with a different one or neither because it had a 90 day warranty and it's past that now since I've been going back and forth on this issue since I got it". If I knew it would take this long just from going back and forth I would've returned it and gotten something else honestly.

There are indeed something fishy with that camera it would seem, and i think you have tried just about all we could ask.
But i have to leave that to the official SG guys, im just a hang around in that game.

If you bought it used/refurbished on EBay maybe something was wrong with it that went undetected. These rarely fail but anything is possible when it comes to electronics from time to time. (Nature of the beast) If it was sold by me send me a support email directly and I’ll take care of you. No need to post further about in here if troubleshooting is exhausted.

Apple has all the money and resources a company could want but I think we all know someone that’s had an Apple product replaced. That’s when good service fills that gap. (Which we try to give our best) I personally had to replace 3 iPhones over the past 10 years but I won’t be switching to Android any time soon.

Back