SG9665GC V3 Playing up all of a sudden.

Tom Butler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 & Mobius (rear facing)
Bought the dashcam just over a year ago or so from Amazon UK. Have had no issues with it up until now.

Noticed last night the MIC was lit. In the past I’ve inadvertently hit the MIC button to enable sound recording and I’ve just pressed it to turn the MIC off. When I’ve done this previously the MIC symbol is crossed out as the button is pressed.

However last night there was a massive delay in the button pressed and MIC symbol showing the MIC has been turned off. Bizarre. And on top of that, having disabled the MIC, the next time I powered the camera on, the MIC was enabled again.

I also spotted the time was incorrect. Had difficulty accessing the menu as the MENU button was also unresponsive. Eventually got in to the menu and lo and behold the time zone was GMT +10 !!! Reset it to GMT and within a few seconds it reverted back to GMT +10.

After several attempts and shutting down eventually got the correct time zone to stick and the MIC to remain disabled on power on. Put it down to a glitch and assumed all was well with the camera again.

However during this morning’s commute (and last night thinking about it) I heard the start-up jingle on a several occasions whilst driving. Reviewing the files on the card the jingle was indicating when it had started recording again. So there were periods with the camera appeared to be on, REC light flashing but with no recording actually taking place.

And the last file saved to the card when the car ignition was switched off this morning, I can’t play. There are also a few other clips from last night after the issues started that I cannot play.

Does it sound like a power supply issue? Can I try a 5V/1A cig lighter adaptor to see if the camera remains up?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

T.

Last edited:
Bought the dashcam just over a year ago or so from Amazon UK. Have had no issues with it up until now.

Noticed last night the MIC was lit. In the past I’ve inadvertently hit the MIC button to enable sound recording and I’ve just pressed it to turn the MIC off. When I’ve done this previously the MIC symbol is crossed out as the button is pressed.

However last night there was a massive delay in the button pressed and MIC symbol showing the MIC has been turned off. Bizarre. And on top of that I having disabled the MIC, the next time I powered the camera on, the MIC was enabled again.

I also spotted the time was incorrect. Had difficulty accessing the menu as the MENU button was also unresponsive. Eventually got in to the menu and lo and behold the time zone was GMT +10 !!! Reset it to GMT and within a few seconds it reverted back to GMT +10.

After several attempts and shutting down eventually got the correct time zone to stick and the MIC to remain disabled on power on. Put it down to a glitch and assumed all was well with the camera again.

However during this morning’s commute (and last night thinking about it) I heard the start-up jingle on a several occasions whilst driving. Reviewing the files on the card the jingle was indicating when it had started recording again. So there were periods with the camera appeared to be on, REC light flashing but with no recording actually taking place.

And the last file saved to the card when the car ignition was switched off this morning, I can’t play. There are also a few other clips from last night after the issues started that I cannot play.

Does it sound like a power supply issue? Can I try a 5V/1A cig lighter adaptor to see if the camera remains up?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

T.
Few questions :
What charger do you use?
What firmware version is your device?
What memory card and how often do you format it inside dashcam?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Few questions :
What charger do you use?
What firmware version is your device?
What memory card and how often do you format it inside dashcam?

Hi Niko,

The charger still in use is the original which was supplied a purchase. Powered via the car's cig lighter.
F/W version: SG20161128.V3
Card supplied at purchase: Transcend Premium 400x.

I might have formatted the card when purchased, unless you formatted the card in the camera prior to despatch. Have had no reason to format the SD card since the camera was fitted.

As well as stopping/starting recording randomly, the clip saved to the card when the engine is turned off does not play. Also noticed it does not display the time and date stamp as well as the speed, even though those options have been enabled in the menu,

Cheers,

T.

Update your firmware to the latest. There have been many updates since 2016 that improve IQ & file handling long-term. It’s recommended to format the memory card in the camera at least every 3 to 6 months to keep it healthy.

Memory Card could be intermittently failing as well. Test with another to rule that out. Cards need to be replaced eventually flash memory doesn’t last forever unfortunately. Samsung EVO U3 is the latest recommended card. U3 is as good or better than High Endurance.

Update your firmware to the latest. There have been many updates since 2016 that improve IQ & file handling long-term. It’s recommended to format the memory card in the camera at least every 3 to 6 months to keep it healthy.

Memory Card could be intermittently failing as well. Test with another to rule that out. Cards need to be replaced eventually flash memory doesn’t last forever unfortunately. Samsung EVO U3 is the latest recommended card. U3 is as good or better than High Endurance.

Many thanks for the reply. Followed your advice and updated the FW followed by a formatting of the SD card.

Ran a test for about 15 min or so. Camera stayed running for the duration of the test. And promisingly I can now play the clip of when the engine was turned.

Will monitor things tomorrow but fingers crossed the issues have been resolved.

Once again proof that dashcams are not just set and forget, you do need to keep a eye on it and give it a little TLC.
That way it should be able to have your back if you should ever need it.

Once again proof that dashcams are not just set and forget, you do need to keep a eye on it and give it a little TLC.

for sure, the memory card is the weakest link in any dashcam

for sure, the memory card is the weakest link in any dashcam
We can compare memory cards with car engine oil. Time to time we have to check oil level via dip-stick (@formatting card). After certain mileage you have to change oil (@ memory cards wearing out). Premium priced oils will give longer mileage (@ high endurance memory cards), mid-class will give less mileage etc.

Back