SG9665GC V3 vs SGGCX2

microwavedave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes - Blueskysea B1W - Vantrue N2 Pro
Sorry if this has been covered, but my search hasn't produced the info... I am trying to decide between the SG9665GC V3 and the new SGGCX2 . Am I wrong in thinking that the only difference in the Sony IMX322 sensor in the V3 is that it's larger than the Sony IMX323 in the V4? (smaller enabled the decrease in housing size) And are the lenses different also? (is the sharpness, detail, composition, view angle better in the newer lens)... I have seen it stated that the lens is the same as is in the new Dual Channel, but is it actually a better lens than the 9665GC v3 has? If so, in what way? Thanks for any help...

Last edited:
changes in SGGCX2, updated lens assembly, IMX323 sensor, changes to the housing to improve ventilation, improved mounting angle, improved cable clearance, improved power supply, register online for 2 years warranty

Thank you for responding, but other than size, do you know what makes the 323 better/ Or the lens? The other improvements aren't critical for my application... thanks...

the lens assembly is improved, the difference between IMX323 and IMX322 is negligible, major difference is the IMX322 is no longer available

My mistake... I see that now... The reason I ask is the comparisons between the images produced by each chip that I have seen I actually think the 322 has a better image, even though I know that they should be identical based on the chip alone... With an improved lens one would think there would be a definite noticeable improvement in the imaging. Probably everything I have seen in youtube vids and elsewhere are compressed or degraded in some way... I can't say I have seen any RAW imagery... I guess that I should just go with the SGGCX2, if for no other reason than it's the newer version... Too bad Amazon doesn't have it without an micro SD card, as I have plenty of quality compatible cards... Thanks for the info...

all else being equal you're not going to see a difference between the IMX323 and IMX322, you would never make a judgement call based on videos filmed at a different time and place, and never based on YouTube videos which are re-encoded, side by side videos and full unedited files in the only way

that said the SGGCX2 is a better product anyway

Yes... thanks... I was referring to side by side videos taken side by side... can only hope and assume they were both re-encoded the same... even if both are lower quality, if encoded the same, thinking the quality drop should be equal and one could still make a judgement, as I have... Was just hoping someone had done some bench comparisons as is done with most digital cameras. Set the cameras up on a tripod... take video and stills of the same subject matter under identical conditions, same settings, even at the same time... then analyzing the images in a raw state with no out of camera processing. One can see and gauge color, sharpness, aberrations, flare etc from one camera to another... I have done this myself with up to 5 different similar digital camera models side by side to compare image quality right from the camera... whether any difference is merely from in camera processing or not is still a component to consider... the in vehichle re-encoded pics and vids are not too informative... to just hear the lens is better on one over the other with no examples or documentation is merely a subjective opinion... too bad I don't know of any sites that do this type of testing on Dash Cams and Backup Cameras...

Back