SG9665GC Vs Lukas LK-7500

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
A bit unfair to compare a naked dashcam to one wearing a CPL outfit, but thats what i have done in this first head 2 head.

Dident get CPL to "eat" all refelctions in my window today, but seem better than no filter at all.
The view from the lukas.
lukashyk1.jpg

Same time from SG9665GC wearing 0806 CPL filter, for some reason i was not able to make all reflections disappear :oops:
SGcplhyk1.jpg

Still not able to say why my SG9665GC seem to have picture like this.

And the video i just brewed up.
It is the SG9665GC on top wearing CPL filter.

Download RAW.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36pu7lzytG1LXhNVTFDVG5QNTA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36pu7lzytG1emxoMHNoWmoyNU0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36pu7lzytG1QmU1Yk1lUnpUUU0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36pu7lzytG1ZE1vVHZ1UTNnVzg/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
More video to come with 2 naked cams.

Lukas is much more expensive, it stands to reason that it gives better quality video.

I am not sure why my camera have this milky tint on the footage, i have made sure the lens is clean, and in the case of this first upload the CPL filter is allso clean

Unlike my windscreen. :oops:

@kamkar1 , how is the bit rate of lukas? From what I obviously see, it seems SG can keep more details and sharpness.

The lukas is maxed out at 11 mbit.
The lukas to me have allways had a little fake looking image, for instance in the 2 photos above the fence to the right is by no means glossy black but it appear so in the pic taken off lukas footage.
The color of the yellow house to the left allso appear more true on the SG.

The lukas is not a bad camera, but it is showing its age i think. And the SG is a much better form factor.

I do like the full size SD card the lukas use, not a huge fan of the micro SD cards as they are allways a pain to insert and get out of things.

When it comes to bit rate, do you think It will be able to boost up bit rate on SG firmware to gain more video quality?
Maybe we need to ask @jokiin

Just increasing bitrate doesn't really achieve much, there's diminishing returns beyond about 12mbit, we will be adding some user controls that will allow you some more fine tuning

I have seen my lukas at times go allmost lego like, only to be just fine seconds later.
This mostly happen at times where there is a lot of shadows from roadside trees on the road, and offcourse the trees them self.
So far i have seem more "road in front of car blocking" on the lukas than on the 9665GC, but i have only just started to compare the 2 and i dont do much driving so its slow going.

If my memory serve me right i think the bitrates on the lukas are as follow, 6-7-8-9-10-11 mbit as per last firmware update.
Seem a bit exessive, i will recomend Street Guardian just offer 3 settings ( low - med - high )

OK for three settings , but let's make it: highest - excessive - overboard

I agree, no need to lower yourself to the standart of others.
So low should be as low as Street Guardian would say still give good footage as to the standarts of Street Guardian, no need to offer up a 6 mbit bitrate if its not in line with what Street Guardian think is useable footage.

Just as they dont seem to release a new camera before they themself are fairly satisfied with the footage and workings of it.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was half-kidding, but seriously I'm with you, there is no need to have a fancy sensor, a metal-case all glass lens, and go for sub-par results.
There are plenty of cheap dashcams that can give average footage, no need to buy a GoPro6++ for this.

I read here there is a widespread opinion that for HD (1080) the sweet spot is around 11-12 MB/S.
So I'd rather have the opportunity to experiment myself if bigger is better in my eyes for my use, or if the default setting is indeed wise.
But certainly not reduce the bitrate to a level where everyone agree it becomes impossible to hide artefacts.

My opinion only.
I'd like at least one crazy setting, just to make sure (the more you know,...) that it doesn't help any more and I've reached the limit, where I'm just throwing away hard disk space.

Just like making DVDs. I routinely use 6-7MB, but I was not happy until I had tried 10MB, and SAW it didn't help.

Here is a little daytime footage with no CPL filter.
Wow, you are right kamkar1, your SG's video has significantly more windscreen reflection than your Lukas, and it just made the SG's video look soft and muddy.

Back