SG9665GCv3 quit working

jeep-tom

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
Street Guardian
Last night my dash cam quit working. The last files are corrupt and cannot be read.
The problem started just a few days ago, the cam was rebooting all the time, display started flickering, rebooting. I used the reset button and it worked again.
Now the display is dead most of the time, doesn't react on any button I touch. I hear the cam rebooting, and Street Guardian is flashing for a second.
Tried it without card, nothing. Seems the cam is dead after 1.5 years :(

You might have to reformat the card on a PC and then reinsert. (or try a new card)
Cheers
...Steve

Dont sound like a dead memory card to me, if anything maybe try another power source if you have it.
Its not often we hear this with a SG product, so the guys are probably interested in having a look at your old camera, maybe in return for a new camera.

But lets see a official will be here shortly.

You might have the GPS plugged into the wrong (A/V) port if the screen isn’t turning on. It will think you have an external monitor hooked up blanking out the screen.

Rebooting is generally a sign you need a new memory card. Try powering up with no card inserted as a test.

Update to the latest firmware if you haven’t done so lately.

If it ends up being something else rare:/wrong I can work out a special out of warranty upgrade discount for you. The first few generations of Street Guardian products have a 1 year warranty. Most of the newer 2018-2019 products have an extended 2 year warranty.

You might have the GPS plugged into the wrong (A/V) port if the screen isn’t turning on. It will think you have an external monitor hooked up blanking out the screen.

Rebooting is generally a sign you need a new memory card. Try powering up with no card inserted as a test.

Update to the latest firmware if you haven’t done so lately.

If it ends up being something else rare:/wrong I can work out a special out of warranty upgrade discount for you. The first few generations of Street Guardian products have a 1 year warranty. Most of the newer 2018-2019 products have an extended 2 year warranty.

Unfortunately I have tried all options, GPS is plugged in the correct port. Doesn't seem to be the card as the cam shows the same behavior without card. Screen comes on, fades out, reboots or Street Guardian flashes every few seconds.
Updated the firmware in July and checked the memory card too after I had some other problems that the camera didn't record after switching on.
It really seems to be the cam. it's running 24/7 since March 2017 when I put the cam in the truck.
Feeling a bit naked now without cam :rolleyes:

...it's running 24/7 since March 2017 when I put the cam in the truck.
Wow, that's some heavy usage. I totally understand about feeling naked - those of us who've been using dash cams for a while all experience that same feeling.

Have you tried using a different power supply to eliminate that as a source of the problem? Even taking it out of the vehicle and running it from a wall charger will be enough to isolate the problem to either the camera/card or power supply. (Just don't use the USB port on your computer as that will put the camera into 'data' mode.)

. it's running 24/7 since March 2017 when I put the cam in the truck.

SG9665GC model was never meant to be powered on 24/7 while Parked if that’s what you mean. Only the new SG9663DC and SGGCX2PRO supports parking mode operation via special 3-wire hard wire kit and time lapse recording. Email or private message me and I’ll give you an upgrade deal.

Wow, that's some heavy usage. I totally understand about feeling naked - those of us who've been using dash cams for a while all experience that same feeling.

Have you tried using a different power supply to eliminate that as a source of the problem? Even taking it out of the vehicle and running it from a wall charger will be enough to isolate the problem to either the camera/card or power supply. (Just don't use the USB port on your computer as that will put the camera into 'data' mode.)

Haven't tried another source of power as the power is there.
It's running 24/7 because there are so many accidents at truck stops where other trucks hit you when you're parked for the night. This is the main cause of accidents we have in our company.

SG9665GC model was never meant to be powered on 24/7 while Parked if that’s what you mean. Only the new SG9663DC and SGGCX2PRO supports parking mode operation via special 3-wire hard wire kit and time lapse recording. Email or private message me and I’ll give you an upgrade deal.

I need a cam that runs 24/7 to save my butt, day and night!
Will send you a PM.

While not intended or recommended, this cam and the original Mobius are the only two dashcams with a stellar record of usually doing this very well. It can be expected that such abuse might harm or kill the occasional cam. My usually-reliable Mobius seems to be degrading after it's several years of constantly recording- three times in the last year it has stopped during use and required a card formatting and re-doing it's settings to get it working again. At a cost of about $20 per year of use I'm happy with it's service even if it dies today.

When a cam can usually take this kind of abuse, it is one heck of a cam, and I have great respect for things like this. I do agree with Jon that you're probably better off with their newer models in time-lapse mode; much easier on the cam hardware and the SD card that way.

With other cams, I've experienced exactly what the OP did when the PS began getting weak over time, but those were cheap PS's unlike SG's products. I would at least test the cam on a home phone charger for diagnostic purposes. I'd also do a full test of the card with h2testw freeware forv the same reason. Cards and powering issues constitute the vast majority of cam failures.

Phil

Haven't tried another source of power as the power is there...
While the power is there if the PS is in the early stages of failure, versus total failure, it could be unstable and causing the symptoms you're having. Not saying that's the case but it's a possibility that should be investigated to determine the actual cause - at least if you're OCD about such things like I sometimes tend to be.

While the power is there if the PS is in the early stages of failure, versus total failure, it could be unstable and causing the symptoms you're having. Not saying that's the case but it's a possibility that should be investigated to determine the actual cause - at least if you're OCD about such things like I sometimes tend to be.

Tested it now with a different power source, same problem, it's the cam :cry:
Will need to upgrade

I'm sure StreetGuardian are looking after you - they are amazingly (and refreshingly these days) customer focussed. Well done guys!

Back