SGDCHW and Ford Focus 2016

Lockzie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just ordered a SG9663DC from amazon. Which SGDCHW kit (fusetap) will I need for a Ford Focus 2016 please?

Also, will I be able to use the cable from my nextbase rear cam for the rear camera on a SG9663DC?

Many thanks

Kind regards
Amanda

Nextbase cable won't be compatible, not sure what fuse taps you need, would need to check your fuse panel to see what type it uses

Thank you. It is the mini ATO. None of those kits on amazon so ordered some fuse taps separately.

Mini ATO is sold out. New stock should be available on amazon UK within upcoming week.
Thank you. It is the mini ATO. None of those kits on amazon so ordered some fuse taps separately.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Okay, I have installed the SG9663DC today to my Ford Focus Titanium X, all has gone okay....so far.....!

I thought I would just let other Ford Focus owners know, who are going to install the SG9663DC with the mini ATO hard wiring, the fuses I piggybacked.

I used:
F85 for the red wire (switched power source that turns on when the engine starts)
F65 for the yellow wire (unswitched constant power)
and the black wire is attached to the bare metal of the vehicle.

It was quite easy apart from the odd cut, strange yoga positions and occasional cramp!! o_O

Regards
Amanda

Last edited:
Lockzie, Hi. Noted your post above with interest. I've been researching dashcams for some time and have just decided that the Street Guardian SG 9663 DC is for me (I don't need numerous bells and whistles, just a reasonable image quality and a basic 'Parking Mode'. What finally swung it for me, apart from good reports on S/G reliability, was the excellent response I've had to e-mail enquiries from me to both Street Guardian in Australia and also Niko of Hiniko Dashcams who were forwarded one of my queries from S/G in Oz.

In your install did you run the rear camera cable up under the head-lining to the rear hatch and if so was the supplied cable ok in terms of length (e.g. you weren't hampered in routing choices by the cable being a bit tight for length) ? I have a Volvo V40 which is just a Ford Focus in a different coat, so if you had no problems, the same situation should be replicated in my install.

In your install did you run the rear camera cable up under the head-lining to the rear hatch and if so was the supplied cable ok in terms of length (e.g. you weren't hampered in routing choices by the cable being a bit tight for length) ? I have a Volvo V40 which is just a Ford Focus in a different coat, so if you had no problems, the same situation should be replicated in my install.

if going through the headlining you'll likely find the shorter of the two cables we supply is long enough, it works for most cars in this type of install

I used the short cable to the rear, but first i did a mock up install taping the one end to my mirror in the front, and then loosely guided it out back on the route i wanted to do, that worked just fine though its not the up and over route i took in my little car.

Thank-you jokiin and kamkar1. Ordered my camera from Amazon Friday evening (fulfilled by Amazon, supplier Hiniko) it arrived at my local collection point in under 24 hours, so by Saturday tea-time I was the proud possessor of a S/G 9663 DC and hard-wire gizmo.

Experienced/tech savvy readers won't be interested in my progress, but just in case a newbee such as myself is reading this thread, here is my first progress (?) report. It may prevent some time wasting :

Before going down the 'install' route, I've been out this afternoon (Monday) and done a link-up of cameras and, using the cigarette-lighter power-lead, made sure I'd not got a Friday afternoon kit. All was well, except (being a tech numpty) I spent about 3/4 of an hour trying to access 'stand-by' mode so I could explore the 'menu' functions, and tweek those appropriate to my needs. The on-line user-guide doesn't specifically mention how to access this state of affairs and in my experimenting I took numerous pictures of my knee/steering wheel/gearlever etc when pressing the <Menu> button (stop laughing at the back there !). I eventually found the answer of course. The secret was discovered in the guide under <Rec> Key, Function 1: Video recording. As any experienced readers will already know, all I had to do was, having started my car and the camera initiated in live, I just had to give the <Rec> key a prod and the recording function was turned off and the camera was in 'standby', and I could access the <Menu>, rather than photo my knee again. It's amazing how some of us oldies can make a mountain out of a molehill isn't it !!!

Tiredness and failing light then stopped play. My next task is to see if I can poke a long,thin, robust wand of wood down under the head lining (at a slight angle across the centre-line of the car) from the tailgate end to the rear view mirror area so I can attach the rear camera lead and drag it back under the lining to the back of the car. Taking cues from jokiin and kamkar1, I've temp. fixed the shorter of the two camera leads to the rearview mirror and pulled the lead fairly taught to see how much lead is available for threading thro' the rubber tube concertina wiring protector leading from car bodywork across the tailgate hinge void and into the tailgate itself. From my little experiment, there may not be quite enough length in the 3 metre lead for that last little wriggle, but from how tight the head-lining is to the roof itself, I may be forced to use the long lead and go the long way round and tuck oodles of spare cable inside the head-lining. Pity a 4 metre cable isn't available.

Well, I'm indoors in the warm now, I've had some tea and now going to create another frustrating experience downloading/opening/hopefully installing zip-file contents with the pc viewer software. If I manage it (3:1 against) I'll see if there is anything on my memory card. The camera was beeping quite a lot at me as I finished my in-car shenanigans. Oh for the days of chalk and slate, coke cans and string !!!

As I expected folks ............Problems. Downloaded the zip file for Registrator Viewer from the S/G software selection (says Reg. Viewer is suitable for Windows 7 and above, I have Windows 7). From my Downloads folder, right clicked on zip file and clicked 'Extract All'. Then shown three files > 'Google Maps fix', 'Registrator Viewer v 6.0.0.22' and 'Release notes'. Tried to open Reg VIewer and was presented with an error message (Line 102, Char: 3, Error: Expected identifier, string or number). Removed all files relating to the download.

Tried again a few times, same methodology, same problem (strangely, when I went into my computer control panel 'add/remove' programmes section, Reg Viewer wasn't shown, although a partial install appears to have occured, says he who doesn't know a lot !). I had to search for files in the file name search facility and delete files from there). I have got as far as having a viewer screen displayed sometimes (looks incomplete tho'. Never seen the viewer screen for real so can't confirm). Got error messages displayed in the viewing screen area. Any ideas please ? If any suggestions, please remember my lack of knowledge with this new fangled IT stuff in a reply. Doh !

jokiin, Thank you for your invaluable and precise reply. If only I'd read every page of the user manual instead of just heading to the S/G Support Site and 'busking' matters from the software options. I believe this fault (of not reading instructions fully) is predominantly a male thing !

Programme downloaded ok. Locating the correct Codec file and selecting the right options from the Codec help page was an experience into the unknown. Hope I've chosen the right options. I can't run a test yet as I have to get my dashcam fitted into the car (I'm heading for a pro. install re the wiring so I don't compromise the air-bag deployment)

Back