SGGCX2PRO+ Segment gaps

mjo13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apologies if this has already been covered, but haven't seen this topic when scanning thru the other threads.

I have the SGGCX2PRO+ (Front and Rear w/ hardwire kit), purchased in October 2019. Firmware version V1-29.

I have the Loop Recording setting set at 3 minutes. I've noticed that occasionally there will be a 30 to 40 second gap between the end of one recording segment and the beginning of the next segment. When reviewing footage on the card, this seems to occur for 40-50% of the segments. Obviously this is concerning because it doesn't appear anything was recording during these gaps.

Is this typical or do I have a bad SD card, or something else? I have the Transcend 32GB card that came with the dash kit. I always reformat the card when reinserting into the camera. Also just checked the SD card with the h2test software and it doesn't appear to have any faults.

Thoughts?

Sounds like an intermittent bad card. Use “SD Formatter” app (mac/windows) and select the “overwrite” option. It will take awhile. Format in camera after. A better confirmation test would be to try another card for awhile.

We no longer use Transcend cards. Had many bad 64/128 cards but it’s possible 32GB prematurely fails in the same strange way.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

No you should not have any gaps in between video segments, so something aint right for sure.
As i recall SG did have problems with a card they use to bundle with the cameras, but i think that got resolved before October 2019.

The official SG guys will be all over this shortly.

It's possible the card could be an issue. Some time back I had a similar issue with the same camera that it would intermittently create 'short' files with gaps between them (see this post - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-update.33839/page-16#post-480310). After much gnashing of teeth and tearing out hair I found the card I was using was writing data at 1.8MB/s versus the rated speed of 90MB/s (this post - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-update.33839/page-17#post-483703).

Point being that in addition to verifying the card is reading/writing properly also check the write speeds. The card I was using never failed an integrity test but the write speed was a real problem for the camera.

You also would want at least a 64GB card in your camera, 32 is cutting it fairly small.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will try the SD Formatter overwrite suggestion on my existing card while I wait for a new one to arrive.

Any particular cards/brands you've had good experiences with?

Of those 2 i think only the pro endurance have warranty for use in dashcams,,,,,, not that this are a major issue as for years we have been using "regular" memory cards as the endurance ones carried a much higher price.
Me personally i would only go for endurance memory cards now.

It is silver, yes.
it's a card problem, we stopped supplying them quite a while ago, seems Amazon don't rotate the stock though as your order is not that old, contact @Street Guardian USA and we'll arrange to replace that memory card for you under warranty

Thanks for the feedback and pointing me in the right direction, @jokiin . Thanks to @Street Guardian USA for the quick response and immediately sending the replacement card. I may still get a larger card eventually, but good to know I have a solution for now.

I may still get a larger card eventually
Eventually? 128GB recommended card is less than $20. 256GB a little over $30. Probably worth getting that and keeping the replacement card as a spare...

Back