SGR291 rear camera as-installed dimensions

rtrski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally getting around to considering a rear camera, but my car (2019 Kia K900) actually has a powered rear windshield 'sunshade' mesh. I want to make sure there's enough clearance before I buy. Can anyone give me the dimensions of the rear camera unit in terms of thickness or 'height' relative to the interior glass surface, mostly?

Never mind - I took another look planning on measuring my available space. The rear shade is much closer to the top of the rear windshield than the bottom, to the point where I don't think anything will clear up there. The back 'deck' behind the seats is mostly that fuzzy Alcantra stuff (where it isn't giant speakers). But there are 3 "top tether" plastic covers right behind the rear set headrests, for car-seat attach. I think I might consider mounting a rear cam to the central one of those, if I can figure out the wire routing to get to the front cam. It's really going to be my best and likely only option, although placement there and looking somewhat 'level' will cost me some downward angle view - I wouldn't be able to even see license plates of cars behind me.

Maybe I need to consider an external cam if I really want rear, down by my own plate. I do have a nice rear cam of course - too bad car makers don't offer ways to just tap into their existing video lines!!

Could you mount it to one side and clear the shade? Any low mounting is going to greatly limit what the cam can do as any car directly behind you will fill up most of the picture. You might also consider something like the 70Mai or B1W, both of which can fit in just over an inch (25mm) of space. Waterproof exterior cams exist but they might present cable routing problems. There's always some compromise involved- the trick is to make that the least possible!

Phil

Back