NEW 2016 !!!
SPECIAL Waterproof / External Camera (SGRCWPC) for SGZC12RC - series

Specifications:
  • Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor
  • Metal waterproof shell
  • Lens: 7 element all glass (IR)
  • 135 degree diagonal
  • Aperture: F1.8
Video cable total length approx 7.8 meters.
Camera video cable: 1.5m
Extension video cable length: 6.3m
Connector: MicroUSB plug

SGRCWPC (1).jpg

SGRCWPC (2).jpg

SGRCWPC (3).jpg

SGRCWPC (4).jpg

SGRCWPC (5).jpg

SGRCWPC (6).jpg

Thanks for the great photoshop work Niko.

These are available today via the usual North America sales channels. (Global soon)

sgrcwpc-sony-exmor-a25-jpg.19612

Last edited:
So is this to be used instead of the lens that comes with the RC12 or can it be plugged in alongside it?

Cool. Was thinking it could be used as a rudimentary reversing camera alongside dashcam functionality

We already have semi truckers trying some recently since this is perfect for running the camera outside in back.

Sounds like a great use case for those guys. I'd love to see some sort of system with 2 of these cameras (front grille and rear boot) accessible via a tablet for parking in tight spaces

External also eliminates the usual reflection problems of glass.
But increases the risk of getting dirty from the elements and can't be cleaned like a window can. Horses for courses.....

But increases the risk of getting dirty from the elements and can't be cleaned like a window can. Horses for courses.....

For sure there are some risk of getting dirty depending on a situation and area / roads driven. Within city roads ( tarmac ) there is a less problems to get dirty, within county-side gravel roads the chance of getting dirty is more.
Having reversing camera installed in my car, I wipe it once per week and it serves well during one week ( mostly driving on tarmac roads ). I guess same will be with SGRCWPC.

For sure there are some risk of getting dirty depending on a situation and area / roads driven. Within city roads ( tarmac ) there is a less problems to get dirty, within county-side gravel roads the chance of getting dirty is more.
Having reversing camera installed in my car, I wipe it once per week and it serves well during one week ( mostly driving on tarmac roads ). I guess same will be with SGRCWPC.
True, but if it's to replace a dashcam, clear video is imperative at all times. Reversing cameras will probably be good enough even if they're a bit dirty.
Are you going to be doing any test videos if this fitted to your car Niko?

Are you going to be doing any test videos if this fitted to your car Niko?

At some stage yes when get a chance / time, but can not promise exact time.

What is the proper orientation when installing the lens? Is it just like installing a regular backup camera? Or is it the other way around? ( I'm imagining that this could be installed on top of the roof)

Out of the box proper way is to mount similar way as backup cameras are mounted. However if you want to mount other way around ( on the roof ) you can easily swap direction of mount / bracket which is fixed with two screws.

Hello Niko!

This looks like a great fit for my project.
Does it have a G-sensor?

Hello Niko!

Does it have a G-sensor?
This is only an external waterproof camera to be used with SGZC12RC main unit. We are going to test how the g-sensor works on it and report back asap.

Last edited:
Yes, I am planning to use it with my SGZC12RC unit. I have a plan to place the remote lens inside the stock housing of the sensors on my glass. I have a very big housing with some free space that could fit the camera. The original external unit is a little wider than what could fit, so I have been waiting for a lens board that could fit it. This external camera should fit just fine! Going to add a CPL for it.
My imagination should process this now.

What is the proper orientation when installing the lens? Is it just like installing a regular backup camera? Or is it the other way around? ( I'm imagining that this could be installed on top of the roof)

The mount side on top is the proper orientation.
yGjyP5l.png

Hello Niko!

Does it have a G-sensor?

There is no G-Sensor once you switch to the SGRCWPC (it's only inside the regular internal camera)

Here's an optional tip:

You can flip the camera 180 degrees by taking out the 2 small jeweler's phillips screws from the back, and then routing the cable to the side a bit.

43LhOTUl.jpg
mvvZXhql.jpg

Anyone ever seen a micro usb selector switch i.e. two cameras as inputs with a switch for which one to use as output (input to head unit)?

Back