SGZ12RC General Comments

can80an

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not a reviewer, there are a lot more capable folks out there that do a great job of it and there are existing reviews already out there. These are just my general comments on the camera and the experiences I've had with it.

Apparently something I said in my SG9665GC first impressions dialog resonated with Calgary Dash Cameras (CDC Canada) as they asked me if I would be interested in looking at their newly arrived SGZC12RC. OK, I have a second vehicle with nothing installed behind my rear view mirror, so I said 'why not' ...

So this camera is a bit different, the 'RC' in the product number signifies that it is a remote camera and includes a different set of accessories. On opening the box we have a pretty tiny remote camera, a main control unit, two power adapters (one with a straight connector and one with an angled connector, use the one that works best for your install), two data cables (a long one and a short one) a micro USB data cable, a spare 3M pad if you need to reinstall the camera and a sticky rubber dash mat which I assume is a non slip mat if you wanted the main unit sitting on the dash. Surprisingly, there were none of the usual Street Guardian stickers, no memory card, no memory card reader and no documentation. I already had every thing I needed, so the missing items were not a big deal, but it might be to someone else ... just be aware that your box of goodies might not include them and it also needs to be noted that this unit does not include support for a GPS.

Installation was pretty straight forward, just determine where you are going to mount the camera and head unit, route the wires up in the headliner and down the A pillar to where you are mounting the head unit. I put this one in the glove box for now and routed the power adapter under the dash ... if this was going to be a permanent install I would use a hard wire kit and route the wires a little differently, but for now it is nicely tucked out of sight. Once the unit is powered on the setup is pretty easy with the GUI being pretty intuitive ... simple to set date/time/time zone, language, video size and length of recording segments, turn beep on and off, format the microSD card, LCD standby, G-Sensor and reset to factory defaults if you really mess it up. And speaking of formatting the microSD card, this unit support cards up to 128GB ... very nice.

Video specs are comparable to the SG9665GC, it uses the same Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor, is capable of recording full HD (1080P) at 30fps @ 15Mbit/sec and has a 135 degree viewing angle. I'm in the enviable position of having both units mounted in the same vehicle right now, so it is quite easy for me to compare video quality in identical conditions. I'm a bit disappointed that the images are not as sharp as the SG9665GC but the two cameras do use different lenses. Color rendition is quite good but license plates and road signs are not very sharp and it is next to impossible to read plates/signs off to the side. Now I do understand Street Guardian is working on updated firmware and a new lens which may (hopefully) provide better image quality. When the new lens is available, and if I can get my hands on it, I will redo some testing and update my comments.

Some of the other features the camera supports are event recording, G-Sensor, motion detection/parking mode, Super Capacitor, WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) and a built-in microphone. I don't have an appropriate hardwired kit available so I was not able to test motion detection/parking mode. Microphone works well as long as you don't have the main unit buried in the glove box and the SuperCap is going to be a real bonus up in Canada with our temperature extremes (+35 all the way down to -35).

So, I'm probably not fully understanding the concept of this device as a single channel unit, but it seems the design would lend itself very well to being a multi-channel unit with the ability to be 1, 2 or even 4 channel ... perhaps a future release. Also, I don't believe there is a a CPL filter available at this time, but it would certainly be a worthwhile addition to cut down on some the the glare when you hit the sun just right.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the performance of this unit, and I love the size of the remote camera. I can see the main unit being awkward to situate in some cars, mine is great as I have plenty of nooks and crannies to place/hide it in. I would love to see the improved lens and firmware update before making a final judgment on video quality but this definitely a camera I would buy for my vehicle.

My commentary wouldn't be complete without mentioning the level of support I have seen by Street Guardian and their Distributors and Resellers in the DashCam Forums. It's been a while since I have seen such dedication in supporting their products and making their customers happy. I would specifically like to thank Calgary Dash Cameras (CDC Canada) for their support on my previous purchases and for giving me the opportunity to try out this unit and comment on my impressions.

Thanks for all the comments, most of the usual Street Guardian goodies will be included in the 2nd production coming in a few weeks. (including the full printed retail box sleeve etc)
The new model will have an improved redesigned lens/housing. (so far so good on extreme heat testing the last week)
CDC Rob will be happy to send you a new replacement lens and the missing OTG card reader, stickers, etc once the new lens is available. (no problem)
The RC sits awfully close to the glass being so tiny, that will make it tough to find a CPL. I'm sure maybe master of DIY @niko can find something at some point.

I don't have an appropriate hardwired kit available so I was not able to test motion detection/parking mode.

Hardwire kit not necessary. My SGZC12RC is set to function in buffered motion sensing mode when driving & when parked. The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.

The camera is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's also plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH power bank.

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

While driving, the camera is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the power bank, & the camera seamlessly continues recording.

Last edited:
Hardwire kit not necessary. My SGZC12RC is set to function in buffered motion sensing mode when driving & when parked. The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.

The camera is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's also plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH power bank.

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

While driving, the camera is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the power bank, & the camera seamlessly continues recording.

Sorry I should have mentioned that you don't actually require a hardwire kit when I proof read your review @can80an.

Thanks for all the comments, most of the usual Street Guardian goodies will be included in the 2nd production coming in a few weeks. (including the full printed retail box sleeve etc)
The new model will have an improved redesigned lens/housing. (so far so good on extreme heat testing the last week)
CDC Rob will be happy to send you a new replacement lens and the missing OTG card reader, stickers, etc once the new lens is available. (no problem)
The RC sits awfully close to the glass being so tiny, that will make it tough to find a CPL. I'm sure maybe master of DIY @niko can find something at some point.

Thanks for the reply Jon, I don't need any of the goodies, Robert got me fixed up with the reader for my 9665 and don't use the stickers, so I'm good. Looking forward to the new lens though, will be interesting to see how it performs. I have a 24MM CPL that I was thinking of sacrificing to the task.

There is no built in low voltage cut off so a hard wire BDP kit is needed for motion detection parking mode. I use 1 PANOBDP multi safer motopark with a cig splitter for the two SGZC12RC in the Mustang Boss.

There is no built in low voltage cut off so a hard wire BDP kit is needed for motion detection parking mode. I use 1 PANOBDP multi safer motopark with a cig splitter for the two SGZC12RC in the Mustang Boss.
Recommendation for the splitter?

Recommendation for the splitter?

If you search amazon or eBay for the following words any of those will do.

cigarette power splitter

It will have a male cigarette lighter plug on one end and two or more female cigarette lighter ports on the other end.

Plug the male plug from the splitter into the female end of the PANOBDP.

Plug each camera power into the two female split ports.

so this new tested lens is a goer?? in mass production now?? passed all the tests? ready to go?

Still working on an updated version but that won't be likely until early next year, it needs to be tooled specifically for this model, nothing else off the shelf that can work with this housing

sorry, might have confused that issue, the new lens is ok to go, we are looking at another one for later to suit some other things that are happening with this model

Is this new lens the replacement to solve the heat/blur issues (and in my case also GPS interference)?

Yes, new updated lens passes heat tests now, image is clear even in extreme heat.

Aside from heat-related focus shift resistance, does the new lens deliver improved image quality overall?

sorry, might have confused that issue, the new lens is ok to go, we are looking at another one for later to suit some other things that are happening with this model

huh? 2nd production on the new lens is in the works but you are also working on a 3rd version? what's the difference? thx

Back