SGZC12RC and GPS

twodogron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me.....
I'm really trying hard to decide which Dash Cam to buy but I am finding the variety of available cams out there very confusing.......
This subject has probably been addressed earlier by someone else but is there a technical reason why Street Guardian dropped the GPS option........... seems to me all premium cams carry GPS these days.....
I only ask because I see the Chinese MG600 appears to carry much of the same quality internals as the SGZC12RC, yet sells considerably cheaper and has GPS installed !!!

Welcome to DCT forum !

Main reason is that GPS module is buil-in to the main unit where most of users hide this unit in the places ( glove box etc ) where there the GPS signal from satellite can not reach receiver.
MG600 is built for Chinese market, but I guess it worth the money you pay for it. They may look the same "on the paper" but there are more effort put into SGZC12RC ( some new components, lens, firmware, more accessories, customer and after-sales support, know-how etc. )

Thanks to both Niko and Pier-28 for the welcome and replies.......
Must say the comparison chart is very useful although I believe the SG9665GC is not "buffered" motion detection, is it ?

Reading other posts it seems that SG are soon (in a few months anyway) to bring out a dual channel unit.............. I would probably buy the ZC12RC if it were, in some way, able to be used as a dual channel unit off one box...........that would sell the unit to me along with SG giving the customer the choice of being able to eventually fit some sort of GPS.............

Must say the comparison chart is very useful although I believe the SG9665GC is not "buffered" motion detection, is it ?

Reading other posts it seems that SG are soon (in a few months anyway) to bring out a dual channel unit.............. I would probably buy the ZC12RC if it were, in some way, able to be used as a dual channel unit off one box...........that would sell the unit to me along with SG giving the customer the choice of being able to eventually fit some sort of GPS.............

SG9665GC has about 1sec. paus-and-resume motion detection.
There are now ETA on SG dual channel with pre-buffer. Of course I would also wish to see it asap, but don't want to give an empty hopes. "Few month" can last many month depending how things goes.

SG9665GC has about 1sec. paus-and-resume motion detection.
There are now ETA on SG dual channel with pre-buffer. Of course I would also wish to see it asap, but don't want to give an empty hopes. "Few month" can last many month depending how things goes.

Point taken ...thanks...

There is one so-called dual channel discrete camera remote lens solution with pre-buffere and other high-specs:

Check my online store "ultimate pro-2" set.

Its took me half year to source out, put together and test all ( most ) possible accessories which need for complete discrete installation and operation. Yeah, it's maybe not exactly what we would want to have ( 2 units vs 1 main unit ), but thats the only solution in the world at the moment ( afaik ) with pre-buffer rec / discrete remote lens / 18mbps bit-rate per each channel. The only thing is lack of gps.

Last edited:
the dual channel camera will be GPS capable, still a while away though
Will there be a main unit and 2 remote cameras like the rc model? or a big main camera in front doing all the job and secondary camera in the back?
If you ask my opinion dual camera version of the rc model with a gps module would be perfect and also microphones should be in the camera, not in the main unit.

Will there be a main unit and 2 remote cameras like the rc model? or a big main camera in front doing all the job and secondary camera in the back?
we are doing both types

If you ask my opinion dual camera version of the rc model with a gps module would be perfect and also microphones should be in the camera, not in the main unit.

mic in the camera has some challenges however our plan is internal mic in the main unit, plus the ability to plug in an external mic if your installation requires that

Is the mic in the camera or the main unit in the 12RC?

Pier28, your reply on Amazon 'official' ad (click) has a link to review of this camera, and the link got broken after forum rearrangement, can you post an updated link here or correct is there?
https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/panorama-x1-remote-lens-sony-exmor-imx322-wdr-gps.8500/page-29

Not sure if I posted a correct link, but I just "repaired" old/broken quoted link with moving "forum" to after ".com"

OLD: https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/ xxxxxxxx
NEW: https:/dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ xxxxxxxx

Yep! That worked, thanks! I didn't realize I need to remove "/forum." from hostname, in addition to inserting "/forum/" in the path.
Someone may still want to edit the link in Amazon answers?
Or setup a http redirect?
Or put a helpful explanation in the error message text maybe?
(the latter would be the easiest, I guess)

Back