SGZC12RC - blurry and out of focus?

Kwyjibo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I set up my SGZC12RC this weekend and just reviewed the videos, which turned out quite out of focus and blurry. thoughts? The dash board and the hood of my car look sharp. I'm wondering if tilting the camera up slightly would help?

When I watch these videos in full screen mode (either on you tube or on the original file at home), they are blurry, but if I watch them in a small window, then the video quality is sharper. Are these files not supposed to be viewed in full screen?

please watch these videos on youtube.com instead of here in the forum. the video window in the forum is too small

video 1: car was parked. The red car and the house in the middle are out of focus

video 2: driving locally to the supermarket. looks very blurry overall

video 3: driving in slow speed. looks sharper but it's similar to A118C quality

video 4: stuck in traffic. looks the sharpest in this video

Last edited:
It seems maybe your camera is a touch out of focus. I can send you a replacement. I'll PM you now to confirm your shipping address.

I have got two units of Panorama X1 (SGZC12RC)
and both has the same problem!

there is more info:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...focus-issue-when-hot-5v-via-power-bank.11858/

good camera but poor lens quality... :/

l3.jpg

I done swap the lens from DOD SL460W to X1, (DOD is brighter) even if DOD aperture looks like F2.0 (smaller hole)?

and there is result:
201506aoa.jpg

201506bpb.jpg

fsfene.jpg

DOD LS460W lens:

dsdwjwnen.jpg

DOD LS460W lens [HOT weather] quite better...

dsmqmqhq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember you mentioning in other post buying from my online shop: hiniko.com.

Could you please:

1. confirm dates and order numbers, when you bought both units from me, so I can double-check and see which batch they came, so I can investigate further with factory.

2. share raw / original video footage from morning and evening tests. You can use mega.co.nz

Thanks.

Last edited:
I really hope that SGZC12RC will not inherit the Mobius C Lens focus problem.

As jokiin and Pier 28 are aware, I've had a very similar focus issue with my SG9665GC. (along with some exposure problems)
It certainly appears there is some sort of similar QC issue going on here with lens focus on both camera models.

As mentioned by@Kwyjibo, "The dash board and the hood of my car look sharp". (although not as sharp as on my other cameras)
G-storeintersection.jpg

Last edited:
As jokiin and Pier 28 are aware, I've had a very similar focus issue with my SG9665GC

Your rare one off issue will be replaced as soon as the new SG965GC stock arrives. The new one will be good to go no question. These 2 products are from different factories and I don't expect it to be related. Either way, as Jokiin said if we find an issue it will be sorted.

Yours will be replaced as soon as the new SG965GC stock arrives. The new one will be good to go no question. These 2 products are from different factories and I don't expect it to be related. Either way, as Jokiin said if we find an issue it will be sorted.

I know you guys are going to take care of it. It goes without saying, which I guess is why I didn't mention it. I posted this basically because I am struck by the similarities between the issue on both camera models. Obviously, the cameras are not produced in the same place (or country as far as I know) but it raised the question for me about what is going on here. As to whether the focus problem is a rare one off issue remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I know you guys are going to take care of it. It goes without saying, which I guess is why I didn't mention it. I posted this basically because I am struck by the similarities between the issue on both camera models. Obviously, the cameras are not produced in the same place (or country as far as I know) but it raised the question for me about what is going on here. As to whether the focus problem is a rare one off issue remains to be seen.

actually two different things, the SGZC12RC has a different issue that is being investigated now

incorrect focus though is something that can happen (and does) in any brand as it's subject to human error unfortunately

actually two different things, the SGZC12RC has a different issue that is being investigated now

incorrect focus though is something that can happen (and does) in any brand as it's subject to human error unfortunately

I understand. I only brought it up here because the out of focus images posted seemed so similar. Any other possible issues the SG9665GC may or may not have, unique to my particular unit or otherwise really don't belong in this thread anyway.

Be that as it may, it is interesting that incorrect focus seems to often be such a common challenge in the dash cam manufacturing process, regardless of make or model.

I understand. I only brought it up here because the out of focus images posted seemed so similar. Any other possible issues the SG9665GC may or may not have, unique to my particular unit or otherwise really don't belong in this thread anyway.

Be that as it may, it is interesting that incorrect focus seems to often be such a common challenge in the dash cam manufacturing process, regardless of make or model.

Your GC issue is definitely not common. Out of all the people that could have been the unlucky <1% you were the last customer I'd want to go through this :p Anyone would be treated the same nonetheless. You'll have a 2nd batch GC replacement soon enough, no need to worry.

Yes, I've seen several factories focus rooms, they do the best they can for sure but the process still has potential for human error unfortunately.

Your GC issue is definitely not common. Out of all the people that could have been the unlucky <1% you were the last customer I'd want to go through this :p Anyone would be treated the same nonetheless. You'll have a 2nd batch GC replacement soon enough, no need to worry.

Yes, I've seen several factories focus rooms, they do the best they can for sure but the process still has potential for human error unfortunately.

I'm NOT worried! I know it will be taken care of, please know that. These things can happen. I really only brought it up here sort of "academically". Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the issue here as I don't wish to give the wrong impression. There have been a few different problems reported with the GC but they have been few and far between and @jokiin is proactively on the case, as always. It's a great camera even if I happened to get one with a rare glitch!

I've seen two videos demonstrating how dash cams are focused. It's an interesting process. The questions I've had after seeing so many reports of focus issues with a wide array of models on this forum have to do with the QC process and how they get through the inspections?

Last edited:
I'm NOT worried! I know it will be taken care of, please know that. These things can happen. I really only brought up here sort of "academically". Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the issue here as I don't wish to give the wrong impression. There have been a few different problems reported with the GC but they have been few and far between and @jokiin is proactively on the case, as always. It's a great camera even if I happened to get one with a rare glitch!

I've seen two videos demonstrating how dash cams are focused. It's an interesting process. The questions I've had after seeing so many reports of focus issues with a wide array of models on this forum have to do with the QC process and how they get through the inspections?

It's the same reason of why someone gets a new iPhone with a problem, no electronics are foolproof. Even Apple has a few now and then.

it's something that can be hard to pickup in QC even as the focus on both these models is done with an incomplete module plugged into a jig to get the output on screen to be able to adjust, once assembled you can't use the same setup to test, you really need to record footage and analyze for focus, it's a challenge and unfortunately there will always be some that slip through, even a little bit out on the focus can make a difference

it's something that can be hard to pickup in QC even as the focus on both these models is done with an incomplete module plugged into a jig to get the output on screen to be able to adjust, once assembled you can't use the same setup to test, you really need to record footage and analyze for focus, it's a challenge and unfortunately there will always be some that slip through, even a little bit out on the focus can make a difference

I see. Thanks for explaining this. It makes more sense to me now. I understood that lens modules were initially focused during assembly but mistakenly thought everything was QC checked for focus after assembly. You're quite right that a lens that is slightly out-of-focus lens can make a big difference.

that's the one advantage a camera with HDMI out has, it's dead easy to check focus after assembly

that's the one advantage a camera with HDMI out has, it's dead easy to check focus after assembly

Again, that makes sense. It almost seems like the feature might be worth including for that purpose alone! I used the HDMI out port on my very first dash cam......once. On my HDTV it was very impressive actually . Come to think of it, aside from that the only reason I've ever used any AV out feature of any dash cam has been as a DIYer for lens focusing or aiming.

Back