SGZC12RC - Cable connection between camera and console

Gadjeel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

What's the cable between the camera and the console called? I've seen in some posts that it's a video cable. Can it be replaced with a normal micro USB to micro USB cable?

I needed an L-shape cable so I bought one but it's a micro USB (on the L-part) and a normal USB at the other end so I had to purchase a converter to change it back to a micro USB to be able to connect it to the console.

Is this setup ok or do I need a specialized "video" cable and other standard micro USB cables will not work correctly?

can't go by looks unfortunately, not all are the same internally, @niko has tested a lot of these cables and might be able to advise further once he's online again

indeed, that's the correct link @Gadjeel

but if that's what you're using, I guess I'm not understanding your original post. since what I use is essentially just a micro USB extension cable, what do you need another converter for? maybe pictures will help us understand.

indeed, that's the correct link @Gadjeel

but if that's what you're using, I guess I'm not understanding your original post. since what I use is essentially just a micro USB extension cable, what do you need another converter for? maybe pictures will help us understand.

I can't use the original cable that came with the SGZC because if I use it and place the cam in the middle, the dashcam would partly block one of the Eyesight cameras of the Subaru. So I purchased an L-shaped micro USB, that is, micro USB on one end and a male USB on the other end. I found out that the one I bought was too short and it's difficult to find a longer one of that type here so I opted to use an extension that looks like the same one as the one you posted and connected the male USB to the female USB of the extension before plugging it in to the console.

As I understood you have combination of 3 cables: Originally supplied video cable + extension + L-angled adaptor ?

As I understood you have combination of 3 cables: Originally supplied video cable + extension + L-angled adaptor ?

Nope. I totally discarded the original supplied cable (because it isn't L-angled). I just have the L-angled micro USB that connects to the actual dashcam and at the end of it is a male USB that I connect to an extension that is a female USB to male micro USB which is then connected to the console.

You have to use originally supplied video cable because it has "send and receive chip" inside. Only then add 3rd party adaptor-cables which suits for that setup.

You have to use originally supplied video cable because it has "send and receive chip" inside. Only then add 3rd party adaptor-cables which suits for that setup.

Really? Are you saying that there's a proprietary chip moulded into the OEM connector? (as I can't imagine it in the cabling itself). I assumed the comms chip was on the PCB of the RC main unit and camera PCB.

Really? Are you saying that there's a proprietary chip moulded into the OEM connector? (as I can't imagine it in the cabling itself). I assumed the comms chip was on the PCB of the RC main unit and camera PCB.
It may work (more-less) with 3rd patry cables but for proper stable performance it is always advised to use supplied original or 3rd party video cables that comes from official reseller.

It may work (more-less) with 3rd patry cables but for proper stable performance it is always advised to use supplied original or 3rd party video cables that comes from official reseller.

Of course. Though you suggested there's a chip inside the OEM cable? That's news to me?

Nope. I totally discarded the original supplied cable

ok, I read it as though you had just put this on the end of the original cable

please set it up with the original cable to test and see if you get the same result or not, you're aftermarket cable might be ok but it can cause issues if it's the wrong type so easier to rule that out first

Of course. Though you suggested there's a chip inside the OEM cable? That's news to me?

chips are on the PCB's each end, not in the cable, it does need the right type of cable though to reliably communicate, it's encoded and decoded each end so cable type and quality is important

Combination of OEM + 3rd party tested adapter cables works fine for me and for many of my customers.

yeah I know you did find some suitable adapters already
Took me few month to buy and tests from different suppliers many adapters.

Back