SGZC12RC Full Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
This camera is known originally as the panorama x1, but Street Guardian has picked it up to release as the SGZC12RC. As usual they do have their own custom firmware, and separate retail package. Like the previous Street Guardian model I reviewed, Pier28 was kind enough to send a review unit out.

This video review is for a review unit that was not a standard retail package but covers the menu operation and lots of video from different lighting and weather conditions. But I did not do a typical unboxing since it was not a retail package and did not include everything you would get if you bought it. I believe (and @Pier28 can likely confirm or deny this, and tell us what is in the current retail package in detail) since I received this there were also changes to the retail package.

This unit was an early model and also had a manufacturers defect which made it appear to have a rear channel input. This camera is only a single channel, but I would not be surprised if this means Panorama was intending or intends in the future to have a 2 channel version (this is pure speculation).

I ended up using it as in in-cabin camera, currently with the recording unit in my glove box which I plan to move to a more hidden place. I think with the remote lens, and great motion detection (with seemingly pretty low power consumption) it makes a great "security" camera in side the car.

EDITS:

Pier28 pointed out I made a mistake saying at 7:47 in a subtitle that you could use the Cell Power CPUSB01 hard wire kit which is not true, for some reason I said that when the SGZC12RC uses a different plug in. You can use the PANOBDP MotoPark if you want to hardwire it.

Also, he pointed out to make sure to have your camera mounted where the wiper blades reach. Due to my civics wiper blades which both sweep out, it leaves a big portion of the center of my windshield unwiped. I also at the time had 3 other cameras mounted up front so space was an issue. In your own cars you always want to make sure to place it where the windows are wiped by the blades during rain or snow, but it is also important to have it not blocking your view while driving (which can be illegal wherever you live).

Waterproof Lens as a "back up" camera:

An alternative back up camera would be the SGZC12SS with an optional rear cam. I don't own it but forgot about it when making the water proof cam video. It allows you to wire the cam to your reverse gear so it displays the rear back up cam when you switch to reverse. Although it does not record the rear cam it is currently [March 8, 2016] only $99 (rear cam optional) on Amazon.com:

http://amzn.to/1RQxxXH

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for another nice long review.

@ 7m47s you recommend a hard wire kit for parking mode. Only the PANOBDP MotoPark is compatible with SGZC12RC

The Cell Power CPUSB01 hard wire kit is not compatible since that is for miniUSB powered systems only such as the SG9665GC

Thanks for another nice long review.

@ 7m47s you recommend a hard wire kit for parking mode. Only the PANOBDP MotoPark is compatible with SGZC12RC

The Cell Power CPUSB01 hard wire kit is not compatible since that is for miniUSB powered systems only such as the SG9665GC
I realized this when I was gonna post that hardwire kit video here too haha. I'm about to annotate it. I dunno why i overlooked that.

I also noticed I said "I liked" instead of "I lied" in one of my subtitles. oh well.

Last edited:
It happens you have a lot of gear over there now.

As shown in this video it's important everyone mounts their DashCam in the sweep range of their wiper blades. (Or you won't have a clear recording in the rain)

I had more footage of the camera up close and in my car and I lost the footage somehow before I installed it into my dash. :(

I am tempted to do a sting with my car where my galaxy note 2 was stolen out of my car last year. ;)

I like how you show the in-car footage with the camera aimed towards the driver/passenger seats. The medium-wide angle is perfect to capture everything.

It happens you have a lot of gear over there now.

As shown in this video it's important everyone mounts their DashCam in the sweep range of their wiper blades. (Or you won't have a clear recording in the rain)
yea, i use to always mention in my videos that the civics have a weird wiper blade range. after mentioning it so many times I just got tired of it and when people ask I tell them. the passenger side one pivots from the far right side, so it basically leaves the entire area behind my mirror unwiped. i got a longer blade on one side to it helps my main camera a bit, but when I had the ZC12 up I had so many cameras up already hah.

I use to always get people telling me I need to mount my blackvue ON the windshield and my response is usually along the lines of "it is..... I just have a very slanted window so it appears like the glass is so far away but it is directly mounted on the windshield."

Must be your day to get picked on ... :) You also mention in your video that Pier 28 is the only retailer in North America to sell Street Guardian products, Canada is still part of North America and Calgary Dash Cams is now a Street Guardian dealer. :)

Oops, I guess you can be forgiven for this, I see the date on the video when you did the review is back in February ... :)

Last edited:
Must be your day to get picked on ... :) You also mention in your video that Pier 28 is the only retailer in North America to sell Street Guardian products, Canada is still part of North America and Calgary Dash Cams is now a Street Guardian dealer. :)

Oops, I guess you can be forgiven for this, I see the date on the video when you did the review is back in February ... :)
Actually I just made it and I have not heard of Calgary dash cams but thanks for mentioning it.

Actually I just made it and I have not heard of Calgary dash cams but thanks for mentioning it.

Yeah I saw the review was just posted but saw the dates on your sample footage being January/February ... thought it was a work in progress. CDC has only been selling SG products for a few weeks now.

The RC should be able to support up to the 512 gb exFAT format right? Seems like the same internals as the Panorama G?

The RC uses microSD cards and the G is full size so a different card controller - that size isn't available yet as far as I know in microSD so no-one would have tested that size.

Are 512GB full size SD cards out there now then in the US?

Thanks for the review, and for the parking mode demo bit, it rocks!

Like foureyes, thanks for the review, made my decision today via Amazon! If it works well, i'll be thinking about implementing parking mode via Celllink B as I don't want to hardwire. Hopefully Pier28 can have those available one day.

I like the size of camera. It's similar as the Lukas rear cam. Very discrete.
Maybe soon will get my hands on a remote dashcam system.

If it has rear channel as well, it'll be perfecto. ;)

i also like that it is removable.

Yep. If it is similar to the form factor like the 2-cam Koonlung K1S, but with the image quality and functionality of this Street Guardian, it will be a winner.

Back