sgzc12rc - Teardown. What is up with the giant internal heatsink? Can you disconnect touchscreen?

TaylorN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have a clue why the unit has such a huge/heavy internal heatsink? example photo:
img_6357-jpg.19151

from the original thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sgzc12rc-external-microphone-diy-mod.15416/

The version I have doesn't cover the whole "processor" area in the middle of the photo, and then it has a few beefier heatsink areas over the usb plugs (left side) and then the microsd card slot (right side). I understand having a small heatsink over the microsd and maybe something over the processor area... but that is one giant heatsink ... or is it just a general support structure with a few expanded heatsink areas! It looks like it was meant to house something else altogether or maybe dual cameras/processors, but then they backed away from that design.

Also, this is a reach, but does anyone know if the unit will operate without the touchscreen connected (i will eventually attempt to unplug the screen ribbon cable when I have time)?

I was thinking about gutting the unit, throwing away the plastic exterior shell, disconnecting the display, bending the supercaps 90 degrees (or resoldering them to make them 90 degrees), use an angle grinder to cut off a significant portion of the aluminum structure/heatsink, and then make a custom acrylic or 3d printed enclosure for it so I could create a smaller footprint for mounting the "display-unit" on the backside of my rearview mirror and have the remote camera adhered to the windshield.

The "display unit" is just so large and I don't feel like routing it into the glove box, which would also mean losing good audio.

Any thoughts/ideas, comments, cautions, etc?

Last edited:
Huge heat-sink is for implementation of radar / laser detector, but this solution is not used in present SG models, however it helps a lot to absorb heat from PCB. I do agree, from one side having too big heat-sink seems to be "useless" for present solution, but from other side it still has it's own pros.
Yes, LCD screen can be disconnected.

Goodbye warranty!!! that is if is not out of warranty already.

Goodbye warranty!!! that is if is not out of warranty already.

8/10 daschasm I buy are under "goodbye warranty" after few weeks, because I can not resist to look what is inside :)

OP took picture from other thread.

Huge heat-sink is for implementation of radar / laser detector, but this solution is not used in present SG models, however it helps a lot to absorb heat from PCB. I do agree, from one side having too big heat-sink seems to be "useless" for present solution, but from other side it still has it's own pros.
Yes, LCD screen can be disconnected.

Thanks Niko!

I can confirm that the unit records without the touchscreen ribbon cable attached. Thanks again Niko.

Back