SGZC12RC wiping card?

If they could monitor the voltage of the caps that may at least help to rule that out mate? Not sure how long they tend to hold their charge if they only get charged at bootup?

If they could monitor the voltage of the caps that may at least help to rule that out mate? Not sure how long they tend to hold their charge if they only get charged at bootup?

not sure if they would self deplete when powered constantly, never say never with this type of stuff, will ask the engineers and see what they think

Maybe you guys just have to stop formating sd cards proactively like you keep advertising to users. Maybe then you will see what's going on.
Every thread on this topic - I keep seeing advise "format the card periodically". Really? Weekly? Daily? Why not hourly? This way I would for sure not see this issue often.
End users don't proactively format sd cards. And they should not. Period.

Imagine an airplane crash. Black box was found. Turns out it was not recording the last 2 weeks. Can you imagine that? I can't.

You are selling black boxes that have 24/7 recording parking feature. And yes - people use them for this! But no, it does NOT work as advertised. It is NOT a black box what end users bought these for.

I was very loyal and patient as this was indeed a new product. But it has been over a year now... Very not impressed.

Maybe you guys just have to stop formating sd cards proactively like you keep advertising to users. Maybe then you will see what's going on.
Every thread on this topic - I keep seeing advise "format the card periodically". Really? Weekly? Daily? Why not hourly? This way I would for sure not see this issue often.
End users don't proactively format sd cards. And they should not. Period.

Imagine an airplane crash. Black box was found. Turns out it was not recording the last 2 weeks. Can you imagine that? I can't.

You are selling black boxes that have 24/7 recording parking feature. And yes - people use them for this! But no, it does NOT work as advertised. It is NOT a black box what end users bought these for.

I was very loyal and patient as this was indeed a new product. But it has been over a year now... Very not impressed.
Maybe put a 2nd DVR next to the first one, lowering the chance of not recording. Odds will be better:) But if that was a common problem of not recording there would be a mutiny on this forum. I think if you buy a quality DVR with a good reputation it wont happen very often.

Last edited:
I think if you buy a quality DVR with a good reputation it wont happen very often.
I thought that's exactly what I bought SG for.
Jokiin, have you seen what Active Members are saying? Looks like there is a question now if SG is "quality DVR with a good reputation"

But if that was a common problem of not recording there would be a mutiny on this forum.
And there we go again. If you follow the issue across multiple threads and times - you would see that this is a common problem. For those who actually use the product intensively. It drives me nuts that over a year now we still have no consensus that there is an issue.
We use it wrong. Our different cards are wrong. We have to proactively format sd cards. But SG is perfect. Right....

I was told my Samsung EVO cards are to blame. Fine, what is the card should I buy, I asked. Lexar, I was told. Recommended card, I was told by the official distributor.
Bought them. Same corruption, so stop blaming cards. Unit does not handle the cards well.

I regret I bought the product. Multiple ones.
My overall setup for 2 units, 4 sd cards, addon external cameras, cables, discharge prevention kits, etc are over $1k. For this product only.
I regret I have told about it to my friends on how cool it is and why they need to invest their hard earned monies into Dashcam like this.
I look like fool now as I have tons of footage I don't need, but at least 3 cases when I needed the footage badly - the reason I invested in the product - I don't have the recordings! 2 cases were not recording both front and back! Please format card they say.

This is just a false confidence. Completely unreliable crap. My wife is making jokes of me. And I need to put even more cameras now because they don't do what they suppose to do? Record! 24/7 we were told.

I can put my micro sd card into my MBP and run First Aid on the corrupted card and in 3 seconds the filesystem is mountable, readable and writable.
Why cannot the camera be programmed to recover the FS in a similar fashion in case it gets corrupted? If you cannnot prevent all the cases that corrupt the card - at least have the unit heal itself. At least have it being able to format itself (it can not!)

If it is not reliable (and it is not) - it is just a child toy. Put a label that it is a toy on it. And that you need to buy another product to duplicate what it is recording. And that first thing you do before you drive - format the sd card. And be sure to require carrying a laptop with you as you cannot format the sd card from the unit when it is saying Please format already.
Once done - you can no longer bother fixing this anymore.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad taste with dash cams but... my own personal experience with the Street Guardian SG9665GC was no serious problems that a firmware update could not fix. If I did have any technical questions jokiin was always here to walk me through. Never did my SG stop recording. And my wife and 2 sons each have an SG and no problems. Can it be that maybe you got a defective one?

right now I would suggest formatting the cards regularly, engineers have been unable to pinpoint the problem, yes it's annoying having to do that, I'm not sure who ever promoted this as a 24/7/365 monitoring system but it certainly wasn't me, understand that there are people that are using it like that but it wasn't designed with that type of usage in mind, most frustrating though is that some people run them like that and don't have the same issue but some do, that makes it harder to find the problem, even it is not the intended usage we still have been trying to work it out

Sorry to hear you are having a bad taste with dash cams but... my own personal experience with the Street Guardian SG9665GC was no serious problems that a firmware update could not fix. If I did have any technical questions jokiin was always here to walk me through. Never did my SG stop recording. And my wife and 2 sons each have an SG and no problems. Can it be that maybe you got a defective one?
SGZC12RC and SG9665GC have different hardware and thus they deliver different experience.
Maybe I've got defective one? Oh sure, I have. Same as wozzzzza, Brian Platzbecker, lex, Shig, Fishish, Mikk36, epsebypoo, wumpyr99, Com69, Calamity, puska, and many who are humble to step out and are just watching the threads waiting for a solution.
But you are are welcome to keep telling us we are exception :) and an army of other users don't complain and that's why you think they have no problems with RC model :)

Are you running SG9665GC hardwired? Is it in Motion Detection? I am considering SG9665GC, but only if it is reliable in the setup I need it to run - and that is hardwired with motion detection.

right now I would suggest formatting the cards regularly, engineers have been unable to pinpoint the problem, yes it's annoying having to do that, I'm not sure who ever promoted this as a 24/7/365 monitoring system but it certainly wasn't me, understand that there are people that are using it like that but it wasn't designed with that type of usage in mind, most frustrating though is that some people run them like that and don't have the same issue but some do, that makes it harder to find the problem, even it is not the intended usage we still have been trying to work it out
The product has clearly been advertised to have Motion Detection as well as hardwiring instructions to benefit from "Parking Mode". If you propose to hardwire - that is 24/7 mode. Moreover, the camera is not actually writing to sd card 24/7 as there is no movement 24/7. Plus battery has tendency to go low on voltage and the camera cuts off until the next time I start the engine. So we are really not talking about 24/7/365 and yet we have many scenarios of card corruption.

Maybe you need to take scenario from reverend about caps a good spin. In real world the power is not constant and there are regular cut offs. Can you have more tests including regular cut offs? Maybe discharged caps indeed cause the problem and when you keep running camera on constant power for days - you clearly don't simulate what is actually happening.

the camera has motion detect, motion detect is not parking mode, ultimately we can't control how people use the products but do try and support them as best as possible, we've done all sorts of tests and haven't been able to find the cause of this particular issue which has effected some users, finding the pattern to a problem is key to being able to fix it, until now it seems the problem is still random in nature which is frustrating, some models which do promote parking mode have forced or automated formatting routines, not sure if this is done for similar reasons, different hardware so not something I'm familiar with on the other platforms to know if that's why they have gone that way, the cameras do not write to card constantly when used like this but they do pre-buffer so it is constantly writing to memory and will write to card when appropriate, there may be some relationship with capacitor voltage and shutdowns due to low battery perhaps, something to look into

I am glad that you are active and supporting your product. I can see it is had for you to reproduce the problem. However, given the fact that it has been over a year since only I have reported this problem (I am sure you heard this before me) - this is clearly not your priority, otherwise you would definitely have reproduced the problem by this time.

I'm not sure who ever promoted this as a 24/7/365 monitoring system
The Panorama X1 was the name of the PROTOTYPE product, which doesn't officially exist.
Street Guardian took over this project and now Official model name is STREET GUARDIAN SGZC12RC.

Panorama X1 is one of the first Korean remote lens dashcamera systems based on supercaps ( capacitors ) which allows to use it not only for normal driving recording, but also used 24/7 while car is parked ( motion detection and g-sensor shocks recording ).
Just a reminder about 24/7 while car is parked endorsement.

the camera has motion detect, motion detect is not parking mode, ultimately we can't control how people use the products
I am not using this product for cooking and I think I use it exactly what it has been endorsed for: "used 24/7 while car is parked (motion detection and g-sensor shocking recording)".
The DVR has buffered recording and does not write constantly to sd card when in motion detection. It has capacitors instead of batteries to work in high range of temperatures and during extended hours.
So what exactly you mean by Parking Mode then? What is missing in SGZC12RC to not being used to record while Parking? (aside from the obvious that it keeps corrupting sd card)

parking mode needs some further functionality to switch modes, monitor voltage etc, the original claims about parking mode with 24/7 operation etc were from the Korean developer involved in the product (Panorama X1 version), 6 months before we started with this model, (the developer that started this is no longer involved), the details quoted at the time were based on his information and made by @niko who was not involved in the resale of any product at that point in time, I'll ask him to edit that as it's not something we promote or endorse as I've mentioned already, using a timer to run the camera for an hour or so when parked doesn't seem to cause problems, extended running, 24/7 etc has caused grief, more so when motion detect is enabled and seems like 128gb cards are the biggest problem when used like this, some problems also found with 64gb though as well in this situation, to date we haven't been able to replicate this issue at all with 32gb cards

we've fixed a bunch of problems the previous developer left behind but this particular problem that some people have experienced is not something we have been able to resolve, that's the reality of the situation

Thanks for the response.
32GB cards are the maximum for FAT32 filesystem that is stable, but you have not enough space for a recording cycle required for parking recording.
My both 64GB Lexar 633x and 128GB Samsung EVO are exFAT and not stable and are equally vulnerable to corruption by SGZC12RC. But 64GB is the least what should be settled for parking usage.

This concludes that SGZC12RC should not be used as 24/7 dashcam.
Very very sad. Especially after custom install and investment.

@niko is going to test with Transcend "High Endurance" cards soon to see if they are less finicky with the Zoran (RC) file handling system long term.

Jon, on 1st Jan 2016 you told me "Lexar 32GB/64Gb 633x is the best long term card as they are MLC based. (128GB Lexar 633x is TLC unfortunately). Transcend and PNY is good. Avoid SanDisk."
I have settled with Lexar 64Gb 633x cards and they fail just like Samsung EVO.
Given the fact you guys cannot reproduce the problem - you are not going to convince me that "Transcend High Endurance" is going to fix my problem if you don't see the Please format card in your tests. You don't get them in any tests. No value.
The problem is not with sd cards. It is with SGZC12RC.

Thanks for the response.
32GB cards are the maximum for FAT32 filesystem that is stable, but you have not enough space for a recording cycle required for parking recording.
My both 64GB Lexar 633x and 128GB Samsung EVO are exFAT and not stable and are equally vulnerable to corruption by SGZC12RC. But 64GB is the least what should be settled for parking usage.

you can try formatting the larger cards FAT32 and see if any better but really that's even more of an inconvenience as that needs to be done in a PC using 3rd party software, in that respect formatting the cards on some sort of regular basis in the camera is still probably a better option

I agree it shouldn't be used as a 24/7 solution, that's not something I have ever promoted or endorsed, sorry that I had overlooked that info from 2 years ago suggesting that was a viable option, personally I don't feel 24/7 operation is a good idea in any dashcam product, there are some people that have it working like that in various products but none of the hardware is really designed for it

Given the fact you guys cannot reproduce the problem - you are not going to convince me that "Transcend High Endurance" is going to fix my problem if you don't see the Please format card in your tests. You don't get them in any tests. No value.
The problem is not with sd cards. It is with SGZC12RC.

it's not just about reproducing a problem but seeing what causes it, the key to fixing any bug is working out the pattern to whatever causes it to begin with, any bug that is reproducible is far easier to sort otherwise it's just a case of trying different things

nothing that should have any affect on the issue you have, will check again later today and see if any further news since
Hi @jokiin What did you find out? I'm rather desperate to get additional stability, any fixes, even minor to assist are better than not.

I've also seen more instances where the cameras are just 'off' when they shouldn't be (they have power) and you need to start them again. I have no idea where to start on that one, they just shouldn't turn off.

Hi @jokiin What did you find out? I'm rather desperate to get additional stability, any fixes, even minor to assist are better than not.

I've also seen more instances where the cameras are just 'off' when they shouldn't be (they have power) and you need to start them again. I have no idea where to start on that one, they just shouldn't turn off.

still waiting for an update, should get that this week, we are working on something else as an alternate to this, more on that once confirmed

with the power off when you power back on is there a file system error or is it business as usual once you start back up?

Thanks for the response.

I have formatted 2 64GB (lexar & Samsung evo+) and 1 128GB PNY cards as fat32 and haven't had an issue since. i used http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm but had to format cards first otherwise guiformat would error, all setting left at default.

I also bought it for it's ability to run 24/7 and particularly for parking mode, i quote "Smart motion detection algorithm for parking recording with 5 seconds pre-buffer.", so to now claim that it isn't supposed to run 24/7 and doesn't have a parking mode is just bull****.
Really disappointed at the excuses and the refusal to accept that the product itself is the cause of this issue.

Back