Shadow GT680W

but it's quite possible they have configured them differently for whatever reason, perhaps to individualize them a bit for marketing purposes

Same are my thoughts at the moment regarding different menu interfaces for gps and non-gps.

Same are my thoughts at the moment regarding different menu interfaces for gps and non-gps.

According to taobao seller updated in their page, the new batch of GT680w which produce after 24 Sep 2013 all come with lastest firmware version.... so it might be the reason... hope shadow-tec can publish the latest firmware ASAP...

from an aftersales service point of view making them look different makes it easier to know which batch the stock is from, could just be there was new icons etc in the latest sdk and they've used them when preparing the update, the GPS option has only recently become available so there has been work done to get it running

The FW for version with GPS/without GPS is same, the only difference for GPS version is that it come with GPS module and a CD.
There is only few pieces come with old FW, it can be updated to the latest FW.
Contact foxoffer to get support about how to update the FW.

i get a quick response from foxoffer... they have send me the latest update firmware in reply mail... according to them, the version doesn't not affect the video quality but menu screen only.

Attachments

• IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 29
Hi all,

I got the car cam and the day video looks good, like GT300W which I got from Foxoffer too...

But for the night shots, there are artifacts, like snow flakes , when I play back the video.. anyone knows why? Is it due to the EV settings, or TV frequency (50 hz or 60hz ) or TV Type (PAL or NTSC?) I set mine to EV +1.3, TV freq = 50hz, and TV Type = PAL. For some other car cams, I read that the GPS signals might distort the recorded video too...

Also, the GPS cannot lock on after I had been driving for 30 mins.. is this normal? I installed the GPS module behind the car rear view mirror and is quite close to the windscreen.. Or do I have to paste on the windscreen for better GPS reception? Do we need to install any software into the SD card before the GPS will work?

Hi all,

I got the car cam and the day video looks good, like GT300W which I got from Foxoffer too...

But for the night shots, there are artifacts, like snow flakes , when I play back the video.. anyone knows why? Is it due to the EV settings, or TV frequency (50 hz or 60hz ) or TV Type (PAL or NTSC?) I set mine to EV +1.3, TV freq = 50hz, and TV Type = PAL. For some other car cams, I read that the GPS signals might distort the recorded video too...

Also, the GPS cannot lock on after I had been driving for 30 mins.. is this normal? I installed the GPS module behind the car rear view mirror and is quite close to the windscreen.. Or do I have to paste on the windscreen for better GPS reception? Do we need to install any software into the SD card before the GPS will work?

Does yours record 1080p 30fps at 15Mbps or 12Mbps?
My gps need some time to lock when car is parked. It can be 10 sec or 1 min. Maybe i have to play around with different gps antenna positioning options. Did not had much time to play around with gps. Will try to do it soon.

Does yours record 1080p 30fps at 15Mbps or 12Mbps?
My gps need some time to lock when car is parked. It can be 10 sec or 1 min. Maybe i have to play around with different gps antenna positioning options. Did not had much time to play around with gps. Will try to do it soon.
HI Niko,

My video is recording at 1080P30fps, calculated at 15MBPS (see attached file) .. Saw that it says NTSC, maybe I'll change the TV type to NTSC, 60hz to try tonight..

Yes, I'll change the GPS positioning too.. When your GT680W got GPS lock, you don't have to do anything to the car cam rite? i.e. no need to install software in the SD card, nor change any settings in the car cam? The only thing i did was to plug in the GPS into the GPS hole in the cam..

Thanks very much for your constant advice and help.. appreciate it! :)

Attachments

• Bit rate.jpg
    Bit rate.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21
Well, I tested my set without the GPS attached and fiddled with the TV settings and the night video still shows artifacts (snow flakes)... perhaps a firmware update from Foxoffer will help?

Also, my GPS unit cannot lock onto the GPS signals at all.. I tried various positions on the windscreen and also hung the GPS receiver outside the window but no lock-on.. either its the car film that's blocking the GPS signals or the GPS module is busted as it can't lock on even when I hung it outside the car window...

Foxoffer / billknow, any advice on these 2 issues? Thanks!

I am new to car camera and I watched your "A Beginners Guide to Car Dashcam DVR Cameras", I am about to get something called "Shadow GT680W Full HD 1080P Car Dash Camcorder". Can any please give me some advices? And I'm just looking for a really clear, sharp, crystals clear and the important part is Low Light Performance. So PLEASE someone give me some advices I think I will go for this or if you guys know any other products that will fit my requirement please let me know.

P.S: Dose this come with "H.264 MPEG-4/AVC"?

Thank You Very Much
-PONG

Oh and what's RAW? If I don't use RAW is it mean won't be so clear?

Oh and what's RAW? If I don't use RAW is it mean won't be so clear?

You meant to say "WDR" (ECENA improves in dim light). because I understand that "RAW" is (Image format unchanged). by the way, this camera is recommended.

You meant to say "WDR" (ECENA improves in dim light). because I understand that "RAW" is (Image format unchanged). by the way, this camera is recommended.

Are you using this camera? I just want to know is it clear as I seen at youtube? Or I need to set up a lot to make that clear? I think I will order it as soon as when people who own this can answer my question.

Thank You
-PONG

Are you using this camera? I just want to know is it clear as I seen at youtube? Or I need to set up a lot to make that clear? I think I will order it as soon as when people who own this can answer my question.

Thank You
-PONG

look for raw files to download (raw means straight off the camera, not re-encoded by YouTube) you'll find the results from the camera are better than what you see on YouTube, there are no tricks to the setup

look for raw files to download (raw means straight off the camera, not re-encoded by YouTube) you'll find the results from the camera are better than what you see on YouTube, there are no tricks to the setup
So you mean if I see something on youtube and it clear, then when I get the camera will even better than youtube?

So you mean if I see something on youtube and it clear, then when I get the camera will even better than youtube?

that's exactly what I mean

the gotcha with that is when you get some sellers that show files that don't come from the cameras they're selling, for all else though if the file is genuine then yes the original will be better than the YouTube version

that's exactly what I mean

the gotcha with that is when you get some sellers that show files that don't come from the cameras they're selling, for all else though if the file is genuine then yes the original will be better than the YouTube version
Oh okay, then do you think the youtube one will be REALLY from the camera of "GT680W" ?

P.S: Last question.... sorry I know I am annoying

Thank You
-PONG

Last edited:
Back