Shadow GT880S

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I've been reading about this new camera due next month - the design of the camera itself is a bit strange (a bit too much Mercedes in there maybe) and sounds like it's NT96550 / AR0330 again but it now adds an OBD connector into the mix for reading some live engine values.

The thread I found this on is by AdamWikp33 here:

SeeZeus GT880S

GT880...jpg gt880.jpg gt880-a.jpg

That's a really good idea if it stuck it all into the metadata of the video like the GPS data is added - although I guess on the flipside like speed that could really go against you if you did something stupid before a crash!

Mind you at some point cars will probably do all that as standard anyway so we might as well get used to big brother already :)

If they supported reading of error codes that would probably get a lot more people interested too - especially if it reset them. That would be probably overly complex for a small cam though.

Tons of pictures with Chinese description can find from HERE.

"if can record the values"
If it can this is my next camera.

looks like it does going by the pictures, will be surprised if it can work and give full functionality with too many vehicle models though, the connector is a standard, the protocol isn't though

will be surprised if it can work and give full functionality with too many vehicle models though, the connector is a standard, the protocol isn't though
Yeah I was thinking about that. maybe you can set it in a menu like some code readers let you select or maybe it is smart enough to auto detect.

There was someone on YouTube who used a camera that had rough quality, but had some information on the video. Could never figure out what kind of camera it was.
Here

Might be an overlay, there are loggers that people use on track days that have this functionality

I've just picked one of these up from the Post Office - thanks @GearBest :)

First impressions are very good - I'd half expected it size wise to be similar to the GT680W but it's not - it's the same size as the DOD LS430W / LS460W range. Material wise build quality seems high. Appearance wise it's not discrete but this has functionality that no discrete camera has with all the BDP functions.

Power wise there is no cigarette lighter charger option - it's purely fed from the USB OBD connector which is a good idea.

What I didn't actually realise is that they've integrated BDP etc into a toggle switch on the OBD cable so you can choose whether the camera stops and starts with the car or goes into parking mode where it will record motion events at 2fps.

I've not actually hooked it up yet - that's a job for later - this mornings job is just to pick up some parcels that have been delivered while I've been away (I've got another month of working away yet - oh joy) but watch this space :)

the only negative I see with the OBD power connector is having to get to it after the car is serviced each time and plug it back in after they inevitably leave it disconnected

would they try and wriggle out of any warranty claims related to the ECU, CEL etc if you have one of these plugged in all the time, not sure, maybe it's the kind of thing you'd be disconnecting before service anyway

Powered from obd with switch for parking mode - that's the ultimate hardwire.

I don't know how much ampage the wires to the OBD port are rated for - I've got to admit I did some reading a while back when I saw that you could get OBD to USB adaptors but I don't think they were always rated for a massive amount.

I've not had any issues in the car I'm testing it with in regards to the OBD connector.

As for the camera itself, there are definitely teething issues.
  • Focus seems to drift in and out - I'm trying to work out if this is the video codec or a lens / lens holder issue.
  • There's a strange pulsing noise to the audio - I've swapped over to a normal USB power supply to see if this disappears and is a quirk of the OBD datastream travelling up and down the cable.
  • Something is also rattling when the car is moving on the audio stream - I've got a feeling it's a camera button.
  • GPS metadata was written to test files yesterday but in all today's data it's not there in RV 6.0.0.8 - it's stamped on the video though. Weird. Saying that I've relaunched RV and it's now there!
  • Although the yellow writing works pretty well on the bottom of the video, it can disappear into the sky - a different colour would work better than the yellow default. I need to see if this can be changed.
  • Parking mode isn't automatic like the Panorama type cameras - you have to drop it in and out of low frame rate modes manually.
I'll drop Seezeus an email to see if they have any updates for this one.

Last edited:
You can see these aren't the sharpest - I'll take the camera apart next weekend and see if it can be improved. It feels a bit like upsampling as well which is strange, maybe it's just something they do in software - I did accidentally activate digital zoom last night but these are all with it at 1.0 so supposedly no digital zoom.

The view angle is actually quite small on this one so it does feel like it should be sharper - we'll see when I get chance to test it next weekend.

Exposure wise it's very much like the GT680W and I did adjust the focus on one of those too.

Frame 2015.04.18 19-53-38 (0-49-03.472).jpg Frame 2015.04.18 19-57-23 (0-52-48.232).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 10-48-17 (0-10-59.809).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 10-51-28 (0-14-10.343).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 10-56-36 (0-19-18.525).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 11-08-51 (0-31-33.420).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 11-10-44 (0-33-26.820).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 11-18-09 (0-40-51.377).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 11-22-21 (0-45-03.433).jpg Frame 2015.04.19 11-24-50 (0-47-32.302).jpg

You can read plate numbers. Granted, more is better, but at this price point, how much sharper do you need it?

Notice all info from OBD is metric. Can it be switched to mph and gallons?

firmware new?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T GT880S 0
reverend GT880S 0
USDashCamera GT880S 0
Spyman99 GT880S 6
billknow GT880S 13
Back