Shadow2s Plus Impression & Review

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Thanks for @Shadow tec for sending the Shadow2s Plus over for review and comparison between the other dashcams I currently have.

First off, let's take a look at the packaging:
kLQhQDE.jpg

Jd2ZeX5.jpg

LwCK7Yd.jpg

Now, the unit itself:
efPKGI1.jpg

6z2O2Qj.jpg

EucqL5S.jpg

Accessories it comes with (GPS unit, Dual Port USB Charger, Micro USB, remote, rear camera + cable, and OBD Power Cable):
wjoXWLS.jpg

UeXGJan.jpg

Ka0EwzL.jpg

m1oPh4H.jpg

More images of the product and some dash cam size comparison HERE

Initial impression of the unit
The build quality itself is nice and solid, it comes with all the accessories needed to get started. The design is small and compact, though the color of the unit isn't black, so not as stealthy as it might have seemed in product images. The voice prompt on the unit is loud and the app is pretty straight forward to use, as with most dash cams with apps these days.

Some issues I'm still figuring out (07/05/2017): OBD Power Cord doesn't seem to be working fully with my 2001 BMW 330ci, as it sometimes display the speed and rev, while most of the time it won't show anything, as it doesn't seem to be detecting my car through the OBD port.

I have yet to test the rear camera, the remote, HUD function, and yet to have enough driving footage to do more comparison, so more to come.

But here is a few clips straight from the camera itself, unedited.

This video shows the OBD port working, as shown in the video where it has the speed and rev readout, though the speed unit is in kilometer, but under my app settings, it shows US.

-------------------[Update on 10/05/2017]-------------------

Here is what it looks like mounted in my 2001 BMW 330ci...
Far view:
yD8trVw.jpg

Close up:
NhWkxPt.jpg

Rear:
ktsBmki.jpg

Here's a footage of the Shadow2s using the front and rear camera. The rear camera doesn't have time stamp or anything. The file name is 2 seconds off, which I assume that it also means the video is 2 seconds off. Quality for rear camera is so-so, but that could be because of my car's rear tint. I do wish that Shadow would add time stamp for the rear camera and have it more in sync with the front.

Here's the file name screenshot:
TEmXw55.png

Front:
Rear:
-------------------[End update 10/05/2017]-------------------

-------------------[Update on 10/05/2017]-------------------

Here are more footage for nighttime when using the front & rear camera. I feel like the out of sync front and rear camera is quite annoying and sometime it is off by more than 2 seconds, making it hard to figure out which clips belong to which, especially when the video for the rear doesn't even have any time stamp; you would rely on the file name.

Screenshot of the file names, don't see any consistency:
pJvL3Cc.png

Front:
Rear:

Front:
Rear:

These 2 clips are the same one used for comparison against the Viofo A119S; just using the same clips for the front since you guys can get a better picture of the quality of the Shadow2s on full screen as opposed to side-by-side comparison video if needed.
-------------------[End update 10/05/2017]-------------------

Last edited:
Comparison Clips

Shadow2s vs. Viofo A119S during daytime and entering into a parking structure.
-------------------[End update 09/05/2017]-------------------

Shadow2s vs. Viofo A119S dusk

Shadow2s vs. Viofo A119S during nighttime

-------------------[End update 13/05/2017]-------------------

Shadow2s vs. VAVA Dash during nighttime
-------------------[End update 20/05/2017]-------------------

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for @Shadow tec for sending the Shadow2s Plus over for review and comparison between the other dashcams I currently have.

First off, let's take a look at the packaging:
kLQhQDE.jpg

Jd2ZeX5.jpg

LwCK7Yd.jpg

Now, the unit itself:
efPKGI1.jpg

6z2O2Qj.jpg

EucqL5S.jpg

Accessories it comes with (GPS unit, Dual Port USB Charger, Micro USB, remote, rear camera + cable, and OBD Power Cable):
wjoXWLS.jpg

UeXGJan.jpg

Ka0EwzL.jpg

m1oPh4H.jpg

More images of the product and some dash cam size comparison HERE

Initial impression of the unit
The build quality itself is nice and solid, it comes with all the accessories needed to get started. The design is small and compact, though the color of the unit isn't black, so not as stealthy as it might have seemed in product images. The voice prompt on the unit is loud and the app is pretty straight forward to use, as with most dash cams with apps these days.

Some issues I'm still figuring out (07/05/2017): OBD Power Cord doesn't seem to be working fully with my 2001 BMW 330ci, as it sometimes display the speed and rev, while most of the time it won't show anything, as it doesn't seem to be detecting my car through the OBD port.

I have yet to test the rear camera, the remote, HUD function, and yet to have enough driving footage to do more comparison, so more to come.

But here is a few clips straight from the camera itself, unedited.

This video shows the OBD port working, as shown in the video where it has the speed and rev readout, though the speed unit is in kilometer, but under my app settings, it shows US.
Yes, thanks a lot for @runtohell121 Review,
Actually OBD power is need to focus on, I think we Lost sign of the Car year of manufacture when we design and productive.
The type of OBD line is OBD - 2, Maybe Support 2006 or 2008 years after's car made.
Thank you for reminding.
Maybe we need to classify OBD line, equipped with corresponding to different years car line.

Shadow sales team

Yes, thanks a lot for @runtohell121 Review,
Actually OBD power is need to focus on, I think we Lost sign of the Car year of manufacture when we design and productive.
The type of OBD line is OBD - 2, Maybe Support 2006 or 2008 years after's car made.
Thank you for reminding.
Maybe we need to classify OBD line, equipped with corresponding to different years car line.

Shadow sales team

Hm, okay. There's no list of vehicles that might be supported? It seems like a hit or miss when using the OBD2 port for those who might want the HUD feature or anything related to OBD2 port.

Also, I was wondering how the GPS unit works? It doesn't seem to be recording speed/location on the video when having the GPS unit plugged in with the OBD port or is it because if the OBD2 port functions don't work, the GPS unit and other accessories that uses the OBD2 port cable will not work? I haven't tried the rear camera yet still, as I haven't figured out a way to power the rear camera since it seems to require hardwiring into the fuse box or an area to get power from.

The list of vehicles is a good idea, And I do the UNSUPPORT VEHICLE List here( Shadow-tec.com)
2008 years after manufacturing car mostly with OBD2 line.

Actually HUD function simply put(projected) the information on the glasses, as long as camera and link to car OBD.
Because of GPS model port, Only allow access to specific interfaces, So it must be connected to Our OBD2 line.And Speed data take from OBD.
If GPS doesn't work, May be you need to the outdoor test, because the GPS indoors and can't search to the signal.
Finally, the rear camera, It is directly from the USB port power supply, and you will find it another two wires, them connect with your car rear lamp.;);)

Looking forward to your more feedback, in order to improve our products.:):)

OBDII has been in place since 1996, the problem is the connector is a standard, the protocol is not, so the features available will vary according to vehicle type, same goes with the Korean cameras that have ODB overlays, very limited as to what vehicles can offer all functions

OBDII has been in place since 1996, the problem is the connector is a standard, the protocol is not, so the features available will vary according to vehicle type, same goes with the Korean cameras that have ODB overlays, very limited as to what vehicles can offer all functions
We are using the OBD mutual agreement, access to information is the basic speed of rotation speed.Don't involve private protocol (such as control of the steering wheel lock door window lamp, etc.), so, most of the car, are supported.

Updated post #2 for first comparison clip with the A119s

Updated post #1 for photos mounted in the car as well as front and rear video footage sample.

Positively true (y) I think most of the pin layout is now universal but the data language and parameters varies a lot :( Only by testing each car, or researching each manufacturer's protocols, can you know what will work. Most or all US-designed cars use one protocol for the important parameters but beyond that I can't help.

You definitely need a list.

Phil

Positively true (y) I think most of the pin layout is now universal but the data language and parameters varies a lot :( Only by testing each car, or researching each manufacturer's protocols, can you know what will work. Most or all US-designed cars use one protocol for the important parameters but beyond that I can't help.

You definitely need a list.

Phil
Yes, we have done a list, May the information is not complete, welcome to supplement.
↓↓↓
OBD-II Line Unsupported Vehicles List

If a Buick isn't supported, then probably none of the US designed GM vehicles will work either as they use one standard protocol for all their cars now. I can't see how an all-cars system could be designed for a reasonable cost :(

The car manufacturers need to get their collective act together and use one standard for OBD systems worldwide :mad:

Phil

1. Soon we will need a OBD hub, too all the equipment we gonna get.
2 Will it be possible to damage the "computer" in the car or OBD interface, by a faulty unit? (Its a serious question)

If a Buick isn't supported, then probably none of the US designed GM vehicles will work either as they use one standard protocol for all their cars now. I can't see how an all-cars system could be designed for a reasonable cost :(

The car manufacturers need to get their collective act together and use one standard for OBD systems worldwide :mad:

Phil
Similar to the auto club, such as exchange association? Perhaps no one by the response, I think industry lack of leader, Maybe I am less source of information

2 Will it be possible to damage the "computer" in the car or OBD interface, by a faulty unit? (Its a serious question)
Thank you for your attention.
Just now I asked engineer, In the words of engineer "at present we are using the surveillance mechanism, will not affect ECU, At the same time, the computer itself also has the protection."

Last edited:

the thing that always concerns me with this is if the ECU does suffer some kind of failure would the dealer try and blame the device and void any warranty repair as a result, they have the upper hand in these types of situations, not a situation I would like to be in personally

creating a supported vehicle list would probably inspire more confidence

It would be a short list and would not look very good to prospective customers. A nation-specifc firmware design might work well but it would be a pain to keep sorted out.

1- Not sure if a new protocol is being considered, but with cars getting more sophisticated OBD2 is already long out-of-date
2- Yes it is possible for a device connected to the OBD port to cause a car to malfunction or to ruin a computer. There are no protections built in to OBD, and it was never intended to be used for anything more than occasional diagnostic work :eek: This is why I do not recommend using the OBD port for any other reason ;) Many devices using the OBD port are designed themselves with protections built in to prevent damage but that responsibility lies with the device maker and we all know that almost all of them will reduce things to the bare minimum to keep costs low. An up-to-date Snap-On code reader costs thousands while a cheap code reader which does almost as much costs well under a hundred- the difference is that the Snap-On reader is designed to protect the car no matter what; an important aspect to a mechanic who has to pay for anything they damage themselves. Plus even well-designed things can go wrong :( IMHO it's not smart to take the unnecessary risk of having your car malfunction in a critical situation just to get something flashy showing on a screen. And it voids car warranties to misuse the OBD port like this.

Just my opinion. you do whatever you want but don't whine about it if it goes wrong!

Phil

It would be a short list and would not look very good to prospective customers.

perhaps, it would be more honest (and a lot more useful) though, having a list of unsupported vehicles won't inspire a lot of confidence if you purchase and find out your non listed vehicle is also unsupported but just hadn't been tested yet

A nation-specifc firmware design might work well but it would be a pain to keep sorted out.

I'm not sure it's that simple

Back