Shall I buy the viofo a119v3

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
I've got the nextbase 422gw had it since last June but for the past few months it's been a pile of sh1t! Forever charging the dashcam at home as when in my works van all day its supposedly charging... I've read up about good things with the a119 v3 as it has super capacitor instead if built in battery... Amazon do it for £99.99 from viofo themselves with GPS included & for an extra £12 I think you can get the polarising filter... A new 'top of the range' base dash cam sets you back for £150 these days, but there slowly loosing my faith

I switched from Nextbase having had their 402 > 412 > 380 to a A119 V2. I knew straight away I'd made the right decision.

They are a solid mount (unlike Nextbase who seem to prefer wobbly ball joints), discrete and only contain the features you need in a dashcam IMO.

I upgraded to the V3 which has the better lens and so far not had a single issue.

If you want a single channel camera then it is hard to beat the A119 V3 for both image quality and reliability, and if you want a dual camera than 2x A119 V3 is a pretty good option too! Only real issue is that it doesn't have wifi or a bluetooth remote, but those are not big issues for most people.

Hi nigel thanks for the reply, I have WiFi/Bluetooth connection on my nextbase 422gw but never use beciase half the time it doesn't connect! There's viofo direct off amazon or an vifo re seller from the UK not sure who would be more reliable if I did buy it

I normally recommend the Viofo shop on Amazon.co.uk for buying Viofo in the UK, supplied by Amazon so that it is easy to send back if necessary.

Who is the reseller you have found?

Seller: MycroCam UK based in Essex. Family run business in the tech business for approx 50 years retail experience

Seller: MycroCam UK based in Essex. Family run business in the tech business for approx 50 years retail experience
Website says out of stock.

I think you will need to go to Amazon to get UK shipping and return. Since Viofo started selling direct on Amazon.co.uk it is hard for any retailers to compete!

MycroCam are an seller of the viofo a119 v3 on amazon, tbh I'd rather order on amazon but via viofo as their feedback is looks more reliable

Both my V2 and V3 came via Amazon without issue.

I have my stuff sent to a 'locker' so they can't get it wrong. The refunds I got in the first quarter of 2018 when Amazon drivers delivered to the wrong unknown address forced me down the locker route. I seem to remember 4 out of 6 deliveries never arrived and Amazon refunded every one.

Not knowing much about the a119 v3, if after a day 30 seconds it Goes into screen saver mode (blacked out screen) is a visible bright led recording light that you can see whilst driving cheers

Not knowing much about the a119 v3, if after a day 30 seconds it Goes into screen saver mode (blacked out screen) is a visible bright led recording light that you can see whilst driving cheers

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but if it is whether the REC led is bright and disturbing then no, it is decent and will not distract you even if not covered by a rear view mirror.

I only ask because my nextbase 423gw has a low light red recording led when it goes into screen saver mode whilst driving, I like this as I know its recording successfully

Ahh yes, the same does the A119 V3, red recording led constantly lit when recording and blinking when not. Also, it is beeping if there is any problem with recording, so you really can't miss it.

The dashcam has a useful startup delay option. I've got mine set to 5 seconds. After you power up listen for the 'jingle'. Once you get that then, as posted above, you have a visible, but not obtrusive, red glowing 'rec' light button for peace of mind. If it does stop recording for any reason then you get an 'obtrusive' beeping to alert you.

Also, what I've done is wire mine not into a normal 'ignition position 1' source but an 'ignition position 2' source. That means mine doesn't try to fire up immediately but waits till I've started the engine. A lot of ignition position 1 sources are cut off during starting so you get a make/break/make situation that can cause issues.

Last edited:
I'd have it so its going direct into a USB port in my works van then I can plug it un/unplug it on each journey as if left on the dash cam will stay active for 1hour I think before closing down...

Hi Tony,

Another vote for the A119 V3! (y)

I've had a lot of RoadHawk dashcams (HDs, HD2s, and a DC3) but I've been unhappy with them for a while. Kremmen advised me to try the A119 V3 back in November 2019, i.e. 3 months ago and so far I'm very pleased with the daytime and nighttime results especially the clarity of 2560 x 1440.

I run the A119 V3 from the cigarette plug in an old Land Rover Discovery (2.5 litre diesel) and therefore I use the 5 second delay on the A119 V3 so that there's enough time for the glow plugs to warm up and the engine to start before the A119 V3 powers up. NB the cigarette plug goes live in 'ignition position 1'. This setup works well for me and I have no plans to change the wiring.

Regards,

Ahh yes, the same does the A119 V3, red recording led constantly lit when recording and blinking when not. Also, it is beeping if there is any problem with recording, so you really can't miss it.
There is a menu option: LED -> On/Off.
I assume it does exactly what it says, but I personally have never tried that setting, and keep it ON, as I find having the LED enabled highly beneficial.

Thanks for thr replys guy really helpful... The 5 second start up delay wouldn't bother me as I'd rather it start up fine without any hicups lol

Will this stay charged through out the say and record as per normal using a standard 2 meter usb cable going into a dedicated USB port? Cheers

Will this stay charged through out the say and record as per normal using a standard 2 meter usb cable going into a dedicated USB port? Cheers
If you are asking about the A119 V3, then it does not have a battery, so does not need charging...

I think it actually needs a good charge once every 6 months to keep the clock going, but as long as it gets some use in the car you don't need to worry about that.

Back