shortlist cameras with parking mode?

sofaspud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More of a what should I short list question ;-)

Currently running several Mobius camera's & thinking of changing, or simply adding (upgrade-itis;-)
These work fine & do the job with decent images, but don't cut it for parking mode & is the reason to possibly change them.

Previously used the Livue LB100 which I liked (but sold them with the car).
These were great in term of the functionality, but were less impressive with the image quality, due mainly to the compression artefacts(blockin etc in fast changing scenes)

Also had a G1W temporarily while I played with the Mobius install, again, decent image, but lacking the parking mode. Also not great on the form factor.

SO,,,
Suggestions please as to currently available cameras that I should short list to decide what if any I will buy?

Essential:
Decent recorded image quality, at least the same as the Mobius'.
'true' parking mode rather than simply motion detection.
Discrete, for my car I like the form factor of the 0803, B40/A118 'Wedgey' things, or the blackvue cylinder types

Nice but non-essential:
single or dual channel.
prefer no screen on the device.
GPS if its integrated into the device or mounting (no 'soap on a rope' types)

limited number of models that use suitable hardware and do real parking mode
As I seem to be finding:(
The Korean's seem to have the functionality, but like the 'big n Bold' styling.
What is the hardware requirements for this then? is it simply ram to buffer the images?

not so much a ram issue, a lot of other models do have sufficient hardware spec wise but are not designed to work this way, Korean styling is not to western tastes so not easy to get what you need

As I seem to be finding:(
The Korean's seem to have the functionality, but like the 'big n Bold' styling.
What is the hardware requirements for this then? is it simply ram to buffer the images?

Easiest way to know if there might be a 24/7 parking mode rec., is to find out if dashcam has Capacitors ( Superscaps ) or it has battery inside.
In 9/10 cases supercaps dashcams have parking mode, but not all of them. For example Chinese C1W Cap version dont have full parking mode rec. Also very good dashcamera Transcend Drive Pro ( supercaps ), - it also dont have 24/7 pakring ( dont even have a motion detection at all ).

Second very important thing is to look for buffer-recording. Most korean dashcams with supercaps, they have 5-10 buffer recording / saving before movement.

To @jokiin list I would add BlackSys CF-100 as well.
There are a lot of other korean dashcams out there with good parking mode. All depends on your "design-preference", specs requirement and budget.

Easiest way to know if there might be a 24/7 parking mode rec., is to find out if dashcam has Capacitors ( Superscaps ) or it has battery inside.
In 9/10 cases supercaps dashcams have parking mode, but not all of them. For example Chinese C1W Cap version dont have full parking mode rec. Also very good dashcamera Transcend Drive Pro ( supercaps ), - it also dont have 24/7 pakring ( dont even have a motion detection at all ).
Hmm, can you list any you know of that do have the parking mode rather than those that don't?

Second very important thing is to look for buffer-recording. Most korean dashcams with supercaps, they have 5-10 buffer recording / saving before movement.
Thats what I'm asking for by speccing 'parking mode' as opposed to simple motion detection, if anyone knows & could name them so I can look into whether they will suit my requirements:)

To @jokiin list I would add BlackSys CF-100 as well.
There are a lot of other korean dashcams out there with good parking mode. All depends on your "design-preference", specs requirement and budget.
The requirements I have are those mentioned in post 1, other than those I can sort the rest, including what I might have to pay to get the one(s) I want.
Frankly I don't get hung up on the paper specs of any device, simply the quality of the recorded video. I'm in agreement with you in this respect as you have mentioned yourself in several postings.

The only "issue" is the size of main unit. Most dashcams with reliable parking mode are big. Probably Blackvue is the best for size but you have to read blackvue thread what ppl say about its quality and performance. I never had it, so can not judge personally.

If you wait a little bit, there will be one more interesting model out. Maybe it will fits your needs.

The only "issue" is the size of main unit. Most dashcams with reliable parking mode are big. Probably Blackvue is the best for size but you have to read blackvue thread what ppl say about its quality and performance. I never had it, so can not judge personally.
If I could find a 'modern' version of the LB100 I had previously which has much better recorded quality I would settle for that, although the form factor/size is on the limit of what I would accept. Function wise it did everything I would like, just the compression artefacts let it down by todays standards.

If you wait a little bit, there will be one more interesting model out. Maybe it will fits your needs.
You tease...:rolleyes:
I tried waiting for Christmas before (Jokiin:p), thats why I got the Mobius to act as a stop-gap.

Within LB100 size there is Panorama 2 / S available with good motion detection when car is parked but you also need to buy battery discharge prevention device.

Also you may consider a Panorama X2 if its within your budget and design.

Back