Should 0806 operate when disconnected from power source ?

Kool Breeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a 0806 with hardwire kit and it seems to be working fine but if I remove it from the gps base plate it will fade and switch off after about 5 seconds. It's not possible to switch it back on then until reconnected to a power source (base plate or usb) - I thought it should run on its own battery for a short while once removed from base plate ?
I tried leaving it charging on usb overnight but same thing - disconnect usb, switch on and after about 5 seconds it dies. Other than that it has recorded fine with no erratic behaviour or missed recordings - I've only had it 2 days though
Should it run for a while on its own battery ?

thanks

False alarm - just found out from the vendor that it doesn't have a battery but a capacitor and it is operating as normal

cheers

0806 with a capacitor??? Didn't know it was an option - or feasible.
I would have thought the battery has gone bad, that would give those exact symptoms.

According to the vendor this is the latest release product and is called Mini 0806s. Does the 's' designation refer to super capacitor perhaps ? Anyways, this is his reply to my query:-

Hi yes this is exactly how a super capacitor works (about 5 sec charge). They stopped fitting Lithium batteries last year as they were unreliable and could swell or die (which killed the camera along with the battery) also it is becoming more and more problematic shipping items with lithium batteries. The operation is 100% as it should be, and this unit will outlast the old 0801 by a long time.

So i take it no date or time settings will be remembered??

My current 8086 shuts down within a few seconds once power is cut so the same sort of symptoms, once power is restored the time and date settings have not been remembered and need to be reset. Am I correct to presume then that the super capacitor will hold these settings even if the car is not used for a few days??

My current 8086 shuts down within a few seconds once power is cut so the same sort of symptoms, once power is restored the time and date settings have not been remembered and need to be reset. Am I correct to presume then that the super capacitor will hold these settings even if the car is not used for a few days??

battery cameras most often don't use an RTC cell as they have plenty of reserve capacity anyway, any camera designed for capacitor use will have an RTC cell on the mainboard to keep the time

Looks like it may be time to update my camera then as it clearly has a problem,I do like the size and ease of use of the 8086 do may think about the “s”

Back