Should dashcam power on from empty battery when engine is on?

et04

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I have a Blackvue DR-900S 2CH powered by a Cellink Neo battery connected through the fuse box, and charging when the engine is on. I had this battery for about 2 years now.

Lately I noticed that when I start my car my, dashcam no longer powers up. I need to drive for about 30+ minutes before the camera powers. I previously had a long commute (2 hours/day) so my battery would almost always have charge. However with some recent life changes I now only drive about 15-20 minutes daily and have been noticing my dashcam sometimes won't turn on throughout the entire drive.

I think it's because my Neo's battery is now fully drained before I start up the car with my minimal driving. Is this normal behavior for the battery to take this long to charge up before powering the camera or should I get a replacement? Seems a bit pointless to have the battery if my dashcam is mostly off throughout my drive. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to DCT @et04 :)
I don't have a Neo but as I understand it normal charge time is with about 45 minutes of driving, so you may have the problem assessed correctly. Many people use the Neo here so someone will come along with a more certain answer soon I'm sure.

Phil

Hey all, I have a Blackvue DR-900S 2CH powered by a Cellink Neo battery connected through the fuse box, and charging when the engine is on. I had this battery for about 2 years now.

Lately I noticed that when I start my car my, dashcam no longer powers up. I need to drive for about 30+ minutes before the camera powers. I previously had a long commute (2 hours/day) so my battery would almost always have charge. However with some recent life changes I now only drive about 15-20 minutes daily and have been noticing my dashcam sometimes won't turn on throughout the entire drive.

I think it's because my Neo's battery is now fully drained before I start up the car with my minimal driving. Is this normal behavior for the battery to take this long to charge up before powering the camera or should I get a replacement? Seems a bit pointless to have the battery if my dashcam is mostly off throughout my drive. Thanks in advance.

Short Drives aren't sufficient to give much of a charge, but if the battery is hardwired, it should be charging enough to switch on the camera. Which then begs the question, could the celllnk have a bad cell and not fully charging after 2 years? I.E. it's not storing enough juice to power on the camera immediately?

How is the Celll Link hooked up? Hardwired or 12V Socket?

Thanks for the welcome. I have the battery hardwired through the fuse box which only charges when the car is turned on. Good to know that it should still have enough power to charge and power the camera, must be a bad cell like you described. Appreciate the help!

Thanks for the welcome. I have the battery hardwired through the fuse box which only charges when the car is turned on. Good to know that it should still have enough power to charge and power the camera, must be a bad cell like you described. Appreciate the help!

That would be my guess. Especially if everything has worked fine the past 2 years and suddenly the battery is no longer capable of powering on the camera immediately without being charged for much longer.

It would seem if there's a dead cell, that the battery is trying to charge that cell that just isn't holding power any longer. Until it moves on to the good cell which of course is charging.

Back