Should dashcams consider flicker?

nutsey

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Guys! What do you think whether it is really important or not when 50/60Hz (or PAL/NTSC) mismatches happen for dashcam use? I mean shoud it be taken into account making the shutter speeds longer to avoid it losing some important details due to the motion blur effect?

Well I'm glad my DOD Ls-360w and LS475w has the option to select 50/60hz in the settings. If I have it on 60hz (US) I see flickering when, say a street lamp, is in the shot. So since the UK is on a 50HZ cycle, that's what I have it on. No flickering.
But saying this, I'm, not sure how the frequency setting effects motion blur.

Well I'm glad my DOD Ls-360w and LS475w has the option to select 50/60hz in the settings. If I have it on 60hz (US) I see flickering when, say a street lamp, is in the shot. So since the UK is on a 50HZ cycle, that's what I have it on. No flickering.
But saying this, I'm, not sure how the frequency setting effects motion blur.
The question is can you deal with flickering if each frame picture quality becomes better (for frame by frame use - f.e. when trying to read some bad guy's plates) even if this effect persists for normal video playback.

Old tungsten lamps have been banned, sodium lamps continue to glow between pulses of power so aren't an issue, we don't encounter many fluorescent lamps except in indoor car parks, LED lamps use much faster frequencies, and I don't think LED street lamps flicker at all since that could cause some serious problems when multiple mismatched frequency lamps interact.

So I don't think there is an issue worth worrying about?

You don't want shutter speeds as slow as 50Hz anyway, that is slow enough to cause motion blur.

So using slow shutter speeds does not help, the way to help avoid flicker is to stick to sample frequencies that are multiples of either 50 or 60Hz, but that doesn't help with LED car lamps or LED traffic lights.

The autonomous car companies are putting a lot of effort into solving this, since if they misread a traffic light or car brake light because of flicker the consequences can be serious, but there doesn't seem to be a good, easy answer to it!

I'd say no. I hate it when videos flicker for whatever reason.. To me, it makes it unwatchable.

Back