Should I be sending my second 0805 back like the first one?

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I got myself another lemon, plan was to get an 0805 for the back windscreen and a mini 0806 for the front screen. as at the time there were a few issues with the second batch, some on her were saying to wait till the third batch, so I did.

in the mean time I got myself the mini 0805 for the rear screen as planed, and found it wasn’t finding a GPS signal, even with driving for over an hour once, no GPS signal. mentioned it on here and showed a few frames and was unlighted to the fact it wasn’t focusing on subjects further than maybe 20 - 30 feet in front of the car. I got it from Amazon so no quibble they took it back and got a refund, i the meantime looked like batch 3 of the mini 0806 was shipping so ordered mine and wired it in the car

last week I pulled the trigger on another mini 0805 for the rear screen, it arrived this morning.

I took it outside in the garden and just pointed it at the leaves on the trees to see how the exposure and focusing was like. To my horror it didn’t look too good, exposure wise it is OK ish but detail further than say 15M looked washed out and not sharp as I would of thought it should of been.

As last week I got hold of a SJ4000 wi fi, I thought I’d test image capture side by side and see if there was much difference, now I could understand if I pitted the mini 08055 against a go pro, but the SJ must be on the same level playing field as the mini 0805, certainly is price wise

here are the two captured clips, the first is from the mini 0805, and the second is from the SJ 4000, both had exposure factory default apart from the SJ having white balance set to cloudy, instead of auto

taken with the SJ held above the 0805 and shot at the same time

the 0805 settings were
resolution: 2560x1080 2:9
quality: s.fine
AE meter mode: centre
ADAS DETECT: off
FLICKER: auto
WHITE BALANCE: auto
EV: 0
MOTION DETECT: off
G.SENCOR SENSITY: close
SOFTWARE VERSION: 0805 GS 2015 05 13 v1.0
these clips were taken this evening around 5ish

MINI 0805

SJ4000 wi fi

am I being paranormal or: is there something I can do with the settings to improve image capture or is it going to be another one to send back?

any help is very much welcome, as I don’t want to be fitting it in the car only to fine I should be returning it

Edited to add: yes I took off the cling film off the lens

Focus is out on that - as it's Amazon I'd just send it back for a refund. What seller was that from on Amazon?

Yes, focus is way out, it should be close to the 0806 in sharpness.

I would do a DIY focus if there is nothing else wrong but that does involve taking it apart, removing some glue and rotating the lens which is a slightly delicate operation. If you don't think you are capable then send it back.

Seems like there are more 0805 out of focus than 0806 these days, maybe they moved the blind focusing person onto the other production line!

wanted to get it from JooVuu, same as my 0806 but he didn’t have it on his website,iirc, I think apart from E-prance, which was fulfilled by Amazon the others were mostly based in Shenzhen, China, so thought if its coming from China I might as well get it from a company I’ve heard of, and have heard of Gearbest.com on here and they said they would deliver this week so I ordered it from them, it was going to be a tos up between Gearbest and the guy on eBay.

I looked at what I was capturing through the LCD screen, it didn’t look too good, once I looked at it on my laptop, my fear’s turned to be true, image quality was/is bad, very bad, I truly thought after all this time they would of worked out where they’s going wrong and put it right, ordered 2 0805 and 2 are going back, I’m not sure I should be getting another mini at all

the DVR that took this clip, taken on a test run

(camera shake as it was only taped to the windscreen)

was one of these, no name Cheap Chines DVR’s shooting 720p,

I’ve emailed gear beast and opened a complaint and told them I’ll be leaving on my driving holiday in about 5 weeks and don’t want to end up with out a DVR, we’ll wait and see what they come up with, I should think its going to cost me in return postage as much as the DVR cost to buy

Just took a clip in the kitchen and did some screen capture off the clip, looks like within a few inches to about 3 feet, image looks better/sharper, then looses sharpness and clarity the further back you look

any one local to Cambridgeshire knows what to do to get the focusing right, or knows someone who can do this? incase it’ll take weeks to get this sorted by Gearbest

I am inclined to agree with you jokiin, I’m sure by the time I’ve paid for P&P I’d be as well to keep it

I seem to remember a thread of how to go about it on here, I’ll have to look it up and see if I am brave enough to open it up, I still remember a few weeks back having to get help to wire up my micro USB to a cable :)

lots of inside pics of those and pointers, ask @niko if in doubt, he has opened these plenty of times and could probably give you an idea of what to look out for

I'll send him a message tomorrow, don't want to get him out of bed at this time of the night ( well 2 am in the morning here right now) :)

Good morning.

1. open unit. It should be similar to 0803:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/disassembly-inside-mini-0803.6310/

2. scrape away glue that holds lens shell to lens PCB holder / mount. I am using awl for that. Be patient and gentle with applying excessive force not to scrape lens housing thread.

3. make few focus adjustment video recordings similar to this instruction:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-focus-a-dashcamera-lens-video-tutorial.8166/

4. after you find out best focus position of the lens, be nice to your wife - ask her to borrow a nail polisher :), use two tiny drops to fixate lens.

Hope this will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. - best if you do focusing not inside house, there is not enough light and room to focus on objects.
You can drive to car parking lot in nice sunny weather, park your car the way sun is shining not directly into your dashcam view ( sun is in zenith or from behind of your car ). Park car 6-7 metres away from other cars parked in front of your car. Make test-adjustments of the focus. Playback videos and see what is best lens position.

Ah sorry I thought it was from Amazon from your first post - as the guys above have all said it will be quicker to refocus it as otherwise you'll be without a camera potentially longer than 5 weeks. Plus you have the bonus you can tweak it to exactly where you're happy and in a lot of cases get slightly better focus than a replacement would have as you're not time constrained like the folks putting these together.

I'd also be tempted to refocus it myself, if only for the experience and job satisfaction.
Its actually not that harf than it looks like, especially with all photo- and video tutorials provided. Just reserve 1-2 hours of your time, patience and I am sure you can do it.

I guess you want to rotate the lens about 1mm around it's circumference clockwise, put a mark where it is now, another 1mm around and another 2mm around, then record a video outside as you smoothly rotate it around the marks reading out the marks as you pass them, then set it to just before the point focus goes beyond infinity. That should have it in reasonable focus from about 1 meter to infinity. On hot days focus will come a little closer so you don't want it set to the close end of infinity, also stone chips on the glass become less visible if it's not focused too close.

thank you all for some very helpful tips, I had ordered an mini HDMI plug and was going to wait till that arrived before making a starting, Niko, that tip about going to a car park and set up the lens on cars in good lighting is something I never thought, if I bring my laptop I could see on the spot if it was in focus at 6M/7M

I wish I didn't have to do it and it was ready to go straight out of the box

@ reverend, I was going to get the replacement from Amazon but didn't want to get it from E-Prance so did what I shouldn't of, and that is get it not from a UK supplier, but thought gearbest was better than most in checking what they sell, don't anyone at the mini 08XX factory have a method of checking focus on these DVR's before they leave the factory?

the sun is shining so took the 0805 out in to the garden to take some clips to see how bad/good the image capture was under better lighting

I still have my “Magfilter CPL” from when it was fitted to my Blackvue, and fitted it on the 0805 in these tests.

as I noticed some halo around bright light on previous testing of this DVR I used some “safeclens” on the lens and also the CPL filter. I/we used to use this on photo copier glass screens in the print room I used to work in, as it was meant to be smear free stuff,

here are some screen capture from the clip this morning

from this first image, first thing I notice is on the far right (as you look at the image) it looks sharpish, but the further to the left you look the more out of focus it gets, I was shooting at an angle deliberately to see at what point it went out of focus

standing still, about 3 and a half’s car length from the MR2, not sure if anything looks sharp, maybe a little bit on the right

about 2 car’s length from the MR2, the car shows signs of out of focus

round a car’s length from the MR2

about 12M from the back of the MR2, the car is starting to look out of focus but I think you can start to see the hairs on my fingers

maybe around 2M from the front of the car, but notice on the right, the back of the letterbox looks sharpish, but the gate keys on the left look out of focus

around 2.5M from the front of the car, all looks very unsharp

I know what I'll be doing with these this weekend

this weekend I was planing on having a go at manual re-focusing the 0805, I have a cable with an RCA plug at one end and a 3mm jack plug at the other,

I went through the menus on the 0805 (version, 805GS 2015 05 13 V1.0) I couldn’t see anything indicating the setting to allow it to feed the signal to a TV,

I plunged one end in the 0805 and the other to the RCA plug (yellow) on the TV, no mater what I did, nothing showed up on the TV. I bought a HDMI to HDMI mini and this morning plunged the two together and switched on the TV, still nothing shows on the TV, am I missing something obvious that needs to be done/set on the 0805 to get the signal on the TV?

this weekend I was planing on having a go at manual re-focusing the 0805, I have a cable with an RCA plug at one end and a 3mm jack plug at the other,

I went through the menus on the 0805 (version, 805GS 2015 05 13 V1.0) I couldn’t see anything indicating the setting to allow it to feed the signal to a TV,

I plunged one end in the 0805 and the other to the RCA plug (yellow) on the TV, no mater what I did, nothing showed up on the TV. I bought a HDMI to HDMI mini and this morning plunged the two together and switched on the TV, still nothing shows on the TV, am I missing something obvious that needs to be done/set on the 0805 to get the signal on the TV?

all help will be most welcome

Just to add, on the TV, a list of available input devices that are selectable are highlighted, the ones that are not selectable are greyed out. the HDMI icon is greyed out and a box appears on the TV screen saying “no signal” when I try to get the signal to the TX with the HDMI cable

all help will be most welcome

Last edited:
I bought a HDMI to HDMI mini and this morning plunged the two together and switched on the TV, still nothing shows on the TV, am I missing something obvious that needs to be done/set on the 0805 to get the signal on the TV?

did you go into playback mode on the camera, not sure that the HDMI is active otherwise, that may be firmware version dependant though

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thancam Mini 0805 7
Back