Should I buy a DR550GW-2CH or should I wait

Anthony566

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been wanting to buy the DR550GW-2CH for some time but the issues that seem to have cropped up with this unit image quality, cable connection, interference, out of focus, rear camera etc etc have put me off a bit, do we think these have been sorted enough for me to spend my hard earned cash on this unit or should I give it up as a bad job and either wait for an updated version or look elsewhere ???

constructive feedback please :confused:

I have been wanting to buy the DR550GW-2CH for some time but the issues that seem to have cropped up with this unit image quality, cable connection, interference, out of focus, rear camera etc etc have put me off a bit, do we think these have been sorted enough for me to spend my hard earned cash on this unit or should I give it up as a bad job and either wait for an updated version or look elsewhere ???

I recommend to wait few month and see what Russian beta-testers of cracked FW say about it pros and cons.

I have tried 500 a 530 and a 550 but had interference on all of them but I also tried the cowon aw2 duel cam but still had interference so after many hours routing cables changing cams I have come to the conclusion they will all be the same for me I would they interfere with my radio signal a bit like walking near a radio aerial when it starts to hiss.

The 550 has a problem with the rear cam cable becoming loose but you can always spread the pins out on the plug to make it tight again but I would not want to keep unplugging it all the time.

I have now bought another 550 but I have done a custom install of the rear cam its now tucked under my rear bumper over the top of my number plate in a water tight box. This is away from my rear screen aerial and now have no interference.
I have a great view from the rear cam now as it does not have to go through the rear screen. The only problem now is headlights pointing at it sometimes at night but I had expected that.

I have the custom Russian firmware on it and I am happy with it. Now it works with wireless N and its much faster playing back recorded video and you can set it for wifi to stay on( I am sure it used to turn off after 20mins) Having said that I have the 500 as well with blackvue latest firmware and the wifi now stays on when selected.

The android software to me works well and is stable. The cowon when I had it was not stable and kept crashing.

As for video quality it looks fine to me but then again a dvd looks fine till you compare it with a blue ray.

Between the Rusians and the makers of blackvue if they keep improving the software I will be happy with it now.

Thanks for the feedback guys, the Russian dev guys look to be doing a really good job on the FW ..... I suppose my only other worry is the camera it's self there has been good feedback about the new cable I need to work out were do I buy from in the UK as I would like somewhere close just incase I do have any issues...

I will hold off for a while and see how the Russian FW pans out :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, the Russian dev guys look to be doing a really good job on the FW ..... I suppose my only other worry is the camera it's self there has been good feedback about the new cable I need to work out were do I buy from in the UK as I would like somewhere close just incase I do have any issues...

I will hold off for a while and see how the Russian FW pans out :)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/custom-firmware-blackvue-dr550gw-2ch.4749/page-5#post-58736

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up on BV. Started with the DR400 then the II then the 500. The custom FW was fun at first, but I just want it to work and for the price it was crap. I just ordered the Marcus 3 and waiting for the GT2S to come out.

I gave up on BV. Started with the DR400 then the II then the 500. The custom FW was fun at first, but I just want it to work and for the price it was crap. I just ordered the Marcus 3 and waiting for the GT2S to come out.

venezian didn't the custom FW work on you BV 500 unit ??

venezian didn't the custom FW work on you BV 500 unit ??
It did work after some struggle and it was better, but compared to other cheaper cameras it was not good enough and not worth what they cost. My camera might have been the few in the bunch with the bad or unfocused lens because on a perfect sunny day I could barely make out plate numbers of cars 2 car lengths ahead. On coming traffic? forget about it.
I had pulled the camera apart to try and adjust the focus and it got better a tiny bit when it comes to focus on objects like trees and signs, but that was it. It's still running fine and I format the card once a month, but it's been months since i've viewed a video file or bothered with the wifi because it's too slow.

Back