Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I have my dash cam hardwired to the fusebox and connected via a Cellink, T-Power Plus or some other similar secondary battery UPS, should I still buy a Battery Discharge Prevention device, such as the Lukas LK-290, Power Magic Pro, or ("the Mercedes of BDPs") the Vico-Power Plus?

I am not sure if I will need a BDP device or if by using an UPS a BDP device becomes unnecessary. I am not (Insertion edit of 1 Apr 16 10:17pm EDST: sure) if part of the functions of the Cellink, T-Power Plus, etc is to monitor the car's battery voltage to discontinue taking a charge from the car's battery if they detect the car battery experiencing a low voltage.

(In any event, even if the Cellink, T-Power, etc., make getting a dedicated BDP device unnecessary, is it still good idea to add a BDP device to make use of some other additional benefit(s) perhaps????)

Last edited:
Get the Cellink and you won't need it

Wow! that was fast! Thank you!!

Will it disrupt anything if I did add it? Perhaps it provides additional functionality/features above and beyond what the Cellink offers?

Wow! that was fast! Thank you!!

Will it disrupt anything if I did add it? Perhaps it provides additional functionality/features above and beyond what the Cellink offers?

the Cellink is not powered by the car when the car is off so a PMP would serve no purpose

If I have my dash cam hardwired to the fusebox and connected via a Cellink

That statement is a bit ambiguous. When you say "hardwired" that could mean to a non-switched fuse ( on all the time) or a switched fuse ( only live when the car is on) jokiin is correct, if you are wired to a switched circuit then a PMP is unnecessary. However, if you are hardwired to a hot fuse and that is feeding the Cellink then yes the PMP would be necessary.

Just to summarize:

Fuse box - ( PMP ?) - Cellink B - dashcam

1. if Cellink-B will be hardwired to ACC ( switched fuse ), then no need PMP
2. if Cellink-B will be hardwired to constant BAT fuse, then need PMP

Just to summarize:

I think that is what I said :D

the Cellink is designed to charge in around an hour and give up to about 30 hours of run time, it only gets charged when driving and the cameras are powered directly when that happens while the battery is charging, it cuts over to the battery anytime the car is off, wiring it to a permanent power source would see it on charge all the time and only cutting in when the battery went flat or was disconnected, it's not designed to run like this at all, a great product but use it how it's meant to be used if you want it to work correctly and last

the Cellink is designed to charge in around an hour and give up to about 30 hours of run time, it only gets charged when driving and the cameras are powered directly when that happens while the Cellink is charging, it cuts over to the Cellink anytime the car is off, wiring it to a permanent power source would see it on charge all the time and only cutting in when the cars battery went flat or was disconnected, it's not designed to run like this at all, a great product but use it how it's meant to be used if you want it to work correctly and last

Jokiin, I modified your post slightly to avoid confusion...is what I changed it to correct?

I was thinking if connecting is also practical ?:

Fuse box ( BAT ) - 12.1V PMP (BDP) - Cellink B - dashcam

In theory this would give an option for Cellink-B to charge even when car ignition is off till the point of low voltage cut off. Not sure how it will look like in practice ? Just my 2c for debate.

jokiin might have a reason why that is not a good idea, but practically sounds like it should work ok. jokiin says the Cellink will charge in 1 hour so maybe the extra cost of the PMP is not required and just wiring it to a switched circuit is the easiest way.

if wanting to connect to permanent power it's the wrong tool for the job

I have to agree, I don't see why you would want the extra complexity.

OP has to confirm if he want to use dashcam rec. only while driving or for parking rec. as well ?

Also as I understood OP wants to remove battery ftom K1S ( probably replace with supercaps ?), but because FW of K1S is not tuned to be used with supercaps, there is a danger of last file not being safed. There for he want to explore Cellink-tupe add-on to be sure last file is saved in case of power cut ?

Just to summarize:

Thanks, Niko, you answered my question in your #2 above: I should buy a PMP for my setup!

That statement is a bit ambiguous. When you say "hardwired" that could mean to a non-switched fuse ( on all the time) or a switched fuse ( only live when the car is on) jokiin is correct, if you are wired to a switched circuit then a PMP is unnecessary. However, if you are hardwired to a hot fuse and that is feeding the Cellink then yes the PMP would be necessary.

Sorry, CDNinHH, YES, I meant hardwired to a non-switched circuit! Thanks!

OP has to confirm if he want to use dashcam rec. only while driving or for parking rec. as well ?

Also as I understood OP wants to remove battery ftom K1S ( probably replace with supercaps ?), but because FW of K1S is not tuned to be used with supercaps, there is a danger of last file not being safed. There for he want to explore Cellink-tupe add-on to be sure last file is saved in case of power cut ?

I am not sure what you guys mean by OP, but it sounds like it means **Me**! If so, to confirm, YES, I want to use the dash cam continuously 24/7, day and night, driving and parking recording as well.

Back