Should I buy the B4K ??

s0c9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, this is a "loaded" question.. but.. background --

Long time B1W owner here who recently sold the vehicle it was in, along with the B1W. I had no issues with the B1W, having owned for 3 yrs (since Jan 2019).
I now have a new truck and want to add a dashcam (again). I could buy another B1W, but....
Thought about upgrading to the B4K based on my wonderful experience w/ the B1W.
However, found 11% of the Amazon reviews (where I got the B1W) were 1 or 2-star ratings even tho' highly rated here.
Yes, I know, there's a lot of "fluff" in the reviews out there, so I ran it thru Fakespot and it came back with the same "B" and overall 4-star rating Amazon had.... so they appear legit!

So.. putting this out to the user community for your feedback on whether to take the plunge on the B4K.
My vehicle is a 21 Tundra Platinum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you plan to run the B4K in single channel, it's not a bad camera. Night image quality is pretty good. Parking mode works. I've had trouble keeping my polarizer on, now it's fallen off somewhere and presumably lost in the 3 months my father-in-law borrowed the car from me. Otherwise, it's great.

As a single camera, the B4K is quite good in sunlight, not so good in low light, but it will substantially beat the B1W in all conditions.

The B1W is outdated now, needs a sensor upgrade, so despite being cheap I don't recommend it any more.

There is also the B2K, which functionally is more similar to the B1W, a cheap single camera with no GPS. The B2K has a very good image sensor, very good image quality day and night, so as a B1W replacement, that is what I would recommend. My only issue with it is that it does not have GPS.

Also, none of them is great for parking mode, they are only g-sensor triggered, but that was the same for the B1W. B1W didn't have buffered parking mode though.

If you plan to run the B4K in single channel, it's not a bad camera. Night image quality is pretty good. Parking mode works. I've had trouble keeping my polarizer on, now it's fallen off somewhere and presumably lost in the 3 months my father-in-law borrowed the car from me. Otherwise, it's great.
I had that on my B1W - it helped - but it went along with the truck!

I ordered it (and the hardwired kit - which I had for the B1W).. should be here Wed.
I'll post back thoughts on it later..

Thanks for the input!

Ok. so it's here.
Summary -
1. Where to mount ??
2. Which hardwire kit..??
3. Which route to run wiring to fuse box.

Details:
Gave quick test - without MicroSD - as both of the 64 GB cards I had refused to "format" on the PC. Were not recognized by the B4K either.. so ordered the recommended 128 GB card from Amazon.
#2 - I ordered the hard wire kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072J3L2JN) but based on reading here, it's NOT the one I need.
The BSS model is NOT available - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075WPSZYHSo unless someone can confirm that the one I have will work for parking mode/G-shock, I'll return it and wait on BSS version to become available.

Image is good, even in low light. Menu is easy to use/follow.
#1 - Biggest issue I have is where to mount it. :confused:
Vehicle is '21 Tundra which has large WiFi/Nav housing above the mirror (see pic) .. with toll tag place under right side of housing, there's NOT a lot of places to mount the B4K where it doesn't "get in the way", so still working on that.

#3 - Fuse box for hardwire is above driver side kick plate, so wiring would go down driver side cab support, which contains an airbag! (UGH)
Will be a PITA to take it down passenger side the across dash, and down .. looking at alternatives. Suggestions welcome.

1645145201171.png

Last edited:
So unless someone can confirm that the one I have will work for parking mode/G-shock, I'll return it and wait on BSS version to become available.
Your links don't work for me, which is normal for Amazon links, so I can't see what you have got!
Fairly sure you need a 3 wire device for parking mode to work...

@estore009 is the expert...

without MicroSD - as both of the 64 GB cards I had refused to "format" on the PC. Were not recognized by the B4K either..
Format it directly in the camera screen menu!
The BSS model is NOT available - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075WPSZYHSo unless someone can confirm that the one I have will work for parking mode/G-shock, I'll return it and wait on BSS version to become available.
Our hardwire kit on the way to AMZ warehouse! Or you tell me your address I will send you one from the China factory directly!

Will be a PITA to take it down passenger side the across dash, and down .. looking at alternatives.
It should be a better option!

Our hardwire kit on the way to AMZ warehouse! Or you tell me your address I will send you one from the China factory directly!
Thanks.. I can wait.. not doing much driving these days.

PS: The device arrived with the newest firmware - Jan v15 ? I'll have to get exact version name off the unit!
Update:
firmware version on B4Kis received = B4K_2022013_V015

Last edited:
Back