Should I buy the U1000 now or wait for the next Thinkware 4k hotness?

kmd1970

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS600,GT300W,LS400W,DR750LW-2CH,CR-2000G,X2,F770,DR750S-2CH
I am thinking of upgrading from the Blackvue 2CH 750 1080p to the Thinkware U1000 4k, but my "spider sense" is telling me that Thinkware may announce a new 4k dash camera any minute now. What to do? :alien: :confused:

Why are you upgrading?
Or maybe the question should be, why do you think it would be an upgrade?

If I recall correctly, we heard about the U1000 long before it arrived, and we haven't heard about a replacement yet, so I suspect a replacement is not imminent. Vortex Radar points out in his recent review that it has been updated:

Why are you upgrading?
Or maybe the question should be, why do you think it would be an upgrade?

If I recall correctly, we heard about the U1000 long before it arrived, and we haven't heard about a replacement yet, so I suspect a replacement is not imminent. Vortex Radar points out in his recent review that it has been updated:

Why? The Blackvue DR750 is 1080p and the U1000 is 4k. The image quality is better and more detailed on the U1000. I have the money. :LOL: Therefore it's an upgrade! :D

I would also like to return to the world of physical on/off button and a parking mode triggered by ACC and not stillness. :unsure:

While the current 4K cameras seem to be ( never tested one ) good enough for me, then if i was to get one i would wait for new ones with better sensors.
Also as i dont really do anything cinematic with my footage, then i am in no hurry to buy into what i feel are transition hardware, though the same could be said about just about all dashcam hardware.
I do throw some stuff at youtube now and then, and for sure it is not the image quality i get flack for, it is more a question about how do i dare to comment on other peoples driving outside the traffic code.
Not least as i am by no means a perfect driver myself, but in my own humble opinion better than a lot of others i see on the road.

No clue when better will come along, but something to consider is that with the U1000, you know what you're getting. It's been around long enough for all it's issues and problems to be known ;) Jumping right onto anything new turns you into an unwilling beta-tester and sometimes ends as an utter waste of time, effort, and money. The BV750 is a good cam in it's own right, and a good 1080p cam is still viable, but yes better can be had now :cool: And the U1000 won't be obsolete for at least a few years to come so I'd say buy it if you like it.

Phil

I haven't heard of anything better than the U1000 being released any time soon either!

I am thinking of upgrading from the Blackvue 2CH 750 1080p to the Thinkware U1000 4k, but my "spider sense" is telling me that Thinkware may announce a new 4k dash camera any minute now. What to do? :alien: :confused:
Even I changed from DR750S-2CH and for same reasons as you have mentioned in next post

I will give very simple answer.
U1000 gives great video quality at 4K but difference is not great on a small screen. License plate reading is same in both. Most important for you nothing new is coming in near future.

DR750S-2CH or any Blackvue cloud cam is way ahead of all cloud cams of Thinkware. The cloud function, live view and app is flawless in Blackvue but very irritating in Thinkware. You can see it for yourself on this forum.
So may be it’s good idea to wait for things to improve in Thinkware or go for DR900S-2CH now afterall you have money and will again itch to get another cam very soon , then you can buy the latest of Thinkware

We haven't heard of any news of the U1000 being replaced anytime soon, either.

I'm on the same boat. I feel like there is this new dash cam that will be released soon enough. The u1000 got released two years ago and Blackvue has not released a new competitor in a while (not counting the X version)

edit: btw none of the retailers will tell you about new releases. They want to sell what they have in stock so no point in making people wait for new stuff.

There's some testers/reviewers who tend to get the newest cams first; all but one of those I try to keep up with are members here and also post about new things here too. For a single place to learn about new cams and what's coming this site seems to be the best :cool:

Phil

I doubt thinkware will release a new 4K model anytime soon.

Why? The Blackvue DR750 is 1080p and the U1000 is 4k. The image quality is better and more detailed on the U1000. I have the money. :LOL: Therefore it's an upgrade! :D

I would also like to return to the world of physical on/off button and a parking mode triggered by ACC and not stillness. :unsure:
BlackVue isn't really known for their image/video quality. Almost any dashcam from Viofo, Street Guardian, or Thinkware is an upgrade from that.

The current Thinkware U1000 has 4K in the front and 2K in the rear. I'm not sure what other upgrade that you're looking for?

BlackVue isn't really known for their image/video quality. Almost any dashcam from Viofo, Street Guardian, or Thinkware is an upgrade from that.

The current Thinkware U1000 has 4K in the front and 2K in the rear. I'm not sure what other upgrade that you're looking for?
I agree. I don't see the need to have 4K on all 4 channels. 4K front and 2K rear is sufficient for most people.

Don't forget you also need a respectable capacity SD card to have acceptable minutes of footage recorded. Don't forget you also have battery consumption issue as well.

With works shortage re computer and auto systems, I think we will see dash cam suppliers stick with current models for another 12 months, as long as they can secure surrender supplies. Toyota shut down car plants world wide for up to 40 days, Mercedes is replacing digital screens with analog- Dash cam manuf will suffer too.

I think we will see dash cam suppliers stick with current models for another 12 months
They may need new models because they can’t get parts, for example models with Wi-fi instead of LCD screens.

I got the Viofo a129 Pro because it was cheaper and has good image quality. Although, night time video needs more tweaking.

I got the Viofo a129 Pro because it was cheaper and has good image quality. Although, night time video needs more tweaking.
I have a Viofo A129 Pro as well. If you don't care about parking mode, the front camera of A129 Pro is amazing.

I have a Viofo A129 Pro as well. If you don't care about parking mode, the front camera of A129 Pro is amazing.

oh no, whats wrong with the parking mode feature? I use that. :rolleyes:

Oh. .Sorry let me correct that.

There is nothing wrong with the parking mode for the A129 Pro. I find the U100 have more features when it comes to parking mode.; however, the quality of the A129 pro especially at night is just unforgettable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T U1000 2
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
M U1000 2
Back