Should I paste the EVA Foam pad?

Jor-el

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
This is my first wedge-shaped camera so excuse me for the noob question...

I don't want the GPS so I won't be using the GPS mount.

So, the camera is Brand new, it has never been used, I'm going to mount it for the first time. Should I use one of the provided EVA foam pads anyways or just mount the camera? If it would help with the video quality or the longevity of the camera ( I reckon minimizing vibrations would be good for the USB connection in the long run) I'd paste the foam pad. Does VIOFO recommend using this from the beginning or is it there to use if you start experiencing connectivity issues/vibration issues?

Yes, paste the EVA foam pad. It will minimize vibrations, thus providing sharper video and also eliminate any noises that might occur from potential rattling between camera and the mount.

Yes. I'd put one from the get-go, it helps.

Take your time fitting the pad, they are tricky to align properly as they are very thin and very sticky.

Take your time fitting the pad, they are tricky to align properly as they are very thin and very sticky.
put it on whole and then pull the cutout piece out, easiest way to get it on

Managed to fit the EVA pad with zero issues, unfortunately, the windscreen mount has this perfect little rectangle bubble of air trapped inside it... I'm waiting for it to fully cure (72 hrs) before mounting the camera so I get the maximum possible bonding with the mated surface area...

EVA Pad:

WGjayr4.jpg

zuHrBlr.jpg

Windscreen Mount:

ZhK4h6q.jpg

4GKhwU5.jpg

Nice job!

It wouldn't hurt to apply some even, firm pressure on the mount for a second time. It won't get rid of the bubble but it will help insure a stronger bond all around it as the tape cures. It's good that you are patient enough to give it a good long time to cure before mounting the camera. Most people don't wait for very long, if at all, and that can lead to eventual problems with the bond.

Nice job!

It wouldn't hurt to apply some even, firm pressure on the mount for a second time. It won't get rid of the bubble but it will help insure a stronger bond all around it as the tape cures. It's good that you are patient enough to give it a good long time to cure before mounting the camera. Most people don't wait for very long, if at all, and that can lead to eventual problems with the bond.

Thanks for the advice!

It would've looked better and more stealthy if not for that air bubble but oh well... guess that cannot be helped. It has been nearly 48hrs now, don't think the bubble would take care of itself... I've contemplated trying to suck the air out using a syringe but ultimately decided against it

Thanks for the advice!

It would've looked better and more stealthy if not for that air bubble but oh well... guess that cannot be helped. It has been nearly 48hrs now, don't think the bubble would take care of itself... I've contemplated trying to suck the air out using a syringe but ultimately decided against it

Actually, there's a trick you could try. Heat the camera mount from the outside of the windshield using a hair dryer. Then put very firm pressure in the middle of the mount and try to work the bubble out by moving the pressure away from the center in one direction, say up, using both thumbs. I suspect you may not be able to eliminate the bubble completely but there's a reasonable chance you may improve the situation.

Actually, there's a trick you could try. Heat the camera mount from the outside of the windshield using a hair dryer. Then put very firm pressure in the middle of the mount and try to work the bubble out by moving the pressure away from the center in one direction, say up, using both thumbs. I suspect you may not be able to eliminate the bubble completely but there's a reasonable chance you may improve the situation.

Will give it a try and post the result if it works out

Will give it a try and post the result if it works out

Much better! The heat seems to have done the trick, just as you said @Dashmellow

yhuvu3w.jpg

That's great! Glad it worked. The mount should also have a better overall bond with the glass going forward.

I got my V2 one on first go but the V3 took 3 goes.

That was putting them on whole. For some reason I found the V3 one slightly more pliable and it was more tricky to get it lined up without touching it to the cam. One slight touch, even a corner, and they won't come off to adjust.

Plus I was a year older and more stupid :)

Back