Should I win this oil pan damage city lawsuit? Video included

I hear a bit of vibration, did you add the included EVA foam pad? on the mount (or back of camera if your mount doesn't have a flat surface)

This video is for the SG9663DC but same method.

I didn't know what those were for, I still have mine in the box and will have to add it. Thanks.

Grab the money and run IMO.
I do happen to think they were in the wrong. They effictively comouflaged the problem by leaving a smooth mound around it making it appear to be less high than it was. They didn't mark it with white paint. Over here, the times I have such work they lead with a sign saying "Exposed ironwork." That's a bit confusing until you work out what they mean. But they remove all the tarmac around the metal parts so it is highly visible and triggers the appropriate level of concern. I expect your people did it that way so you can drive a wheel over it, but how are you supposed to know that? Or they knew it was high enough to hit, but smoothed it to minimise damage. Either way, I think it's a bad way to handle it.
But having said that you've been given a sizeable offer without having to put up much of a fight, and if it covers what you needed it's reasonable.

P.S. I just realised that after the impact you reversed back over it. Then drove forward over it again. Lucky you didn't cause more damage, or you may have made it far more difficult to claim.

Last edited:
I hit a sewer cover and broke my oil pan.
The reason is that they grinded down the street to get it ready to repave it and left the sewer cover extended high and it seems they created a small hole before the sewer cover.

If you watch the video you will see the first video is on 3/19 and shows road before grinding and see that there is no hole and sewer cover not elevated.
On 4/9 street is grinded down and I actually hit the sewer that time with the bottom of my car going very slowly but no damage. I wasn't sure at the time I hit it but after the 2nd time I knew.
On 4/16 I was going faster and this broke my oil pan,.. you can see the oil streak when I reverse.

The issues I can have is that in NYC they have a law that a pothole must be reported 15 days before the accident for you to claim. This is so that the city had notice of the damage and had time to fix it. However, if you can prove negligence then you can win.

Do you guys think this is negligence when grinding down the street and leaving the sewer cover exposed like that? Or is this just ordinary pothole damage.

I want to show that on 3/19 before they grinded down the street everything was fine. Then on 4/9 and 4/16 with the street grinded this left the sewer cover too high and exposed.

Set video to 1080p for best quality.

Ok I know I'm 5 years late on replying here but. If you went to court saying what you said here and showing them this video then it would be by miraculous stupidity you got anything from it. You literally said and provided video proof that you knew the road was already messed up there and had hit something once at low speed, then with knowing this went down the same road again at a quicker speed, thus damaging your car. Anyone on the opposite side can would and should based off your testimony and video proof purposely went down this street in an attempt to damage your vehicle for monetary gain. Even if the court doesn't go that route insurance certainly will because video shows great driving conditions, sunny daytime no rain or snow added to the fact of you already having knowledge the street was in the condition it was you could have driven slower and or avoided it claim denied. Either way an oil pan for a car is a small easy cheap fix for car, regardless of the make and model I drive a 2015 Lexus and the oil pan ranges from 60-300. I just hit a raised sewer in my Lexus at night while raining and the sewer in question was not visible as there was another car covering it (was in turn lane, and cracked my engine block and bent my frame, that is worth going against government entities

Back