Showing off the 4K (Interpolated) Goodness of SJ5000X Elite Edition

I hope they learned a lesson from SJ5000X Elite microphone problems, but which seems to not be completely solved even in batch 2 as some users expected and reported.
But using quality components will increase camera price.

Their first step should be correct English in camera menu. You can not use "screensavers" with small s at the beginning and no necessary s at the end to all cameras, forever. Even the Screensaver name is strange menu option for a camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Saw the M20 images on their website. Heck, the mic and speaker got bigger holes which might be better?
Just got my 5000x elite and i kinda regretted it already @_@ Shouldnt they make it like this in the 1st place?

Elite is not a bad camera you should be happy with the purchase if you didn't expected real 4K, maybe only the mic is not so good as expected.

I see now the M20 on their site, will be with the same sensor as GitUp Git2, Sony IMX206.
Great, but this will be a difficult task for them because the IMX206 is not so well implemented by Novatek as the 5 years old IMX078 sensor from Elite, which had enough time to be implemented in Novatek code.

Until now the M20 have no specs. Maybe they are thinking how big to write the 4K because IMX206 is not supporting 4K, too, I saw this on Git2 which is also interpolated.

The biggest problem is not if 4K is full or Ultra HD, if is interpolated or not, but people expectations which are buying 4K products which are offering only a resolution, some numbers, from a small sensor which can not ever offer a real 4K quality which they expect after watching professional demos recorded with very expensive cameras showed on 4K TVs on different public places.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I also know the Git2 and Firefly 6s are also interpolated.

-Nate
I thought if we don't call it 4K, just 2160p(2880 x 2160), it should be OK.
Before the "4K" text is only exist in the video resolution menu, it has replaced with 2160P in latest firmware.

Also none of distributors like gearbest or bangood mention 4K on the product listing page. We checked carefully about what they wrote on the listing page.

If you check the SJCAMHD forum, you can see someone bought the 5000x because of the 4K and felt cheated.

Also I know one of action camera manufacture was involved in a legal wrangle because of the interpolated 4K.

Until now the M20 have no specs. Maybe they are thinking how big to write the 4K because IMX206 is not supporting 4K, too, I saw this on Git2 which is also interpolated.

Mtz
It use Ambarella A7 + IMX 206, compared to the XiaoYi, it has screen and support external MIC.

@gitup if using Ambarella A7, can the offer real 4K even is 3840x2160?
Being Ambarella I hope to not see again the "screensavers" in camera menu.

enjoy,
Mtz

@gitup if using Ambarella A7, can the offer real 4K even is 3840x2160?
Being Ambarella I hope to not see again the "screensavers" in camera menu.

enjoy,
Mtz

Isn't 4K should be related to sensor too? So Ambarella A7 itself can't produce 4K if the Image Sensor doesn't capable to support it.

Isn't 4K should be related to sensor too? So Ambarella A7 itself can't produce 4K if the Image Sensor doesn't capable to support it.

correct

if Ambarella though it's unlikely to happen, GoPro dictates to Ambarella what functionality others are allowed to have, anti competitive behaviour but as the largest customer they get to call the shots

Reactions: Mtz
Seriously, they should fix existing issues 1st before implementing new "features" in their new camera model.
Damn it, shouldnt you implement all this in what 1 model and make it as good as possible rather than implement some things here and there and release new model? Your reputation will and is dropping fast. Please settle the current issues 1st.

No wonder they have been very very quiet on the forum. Lots of complaints and questions waiting to be answered by them. Guess they are moving on and focusing their resources and R&D on their new model. Sigh...

5000x elite having so much initial and current problems and yet they can release new model for their M series. This shows alot of things i guess?

And don't forget same model revisions:
SJ4000+ followed in a couple of weeks by SJ4000+ Gyro
Almost at the same time with
SJ5000X followed in a couple of weeks by SJ5000X Elite
Just because they forgot to add the Gyro. How are feeling the non-gyro buyers which all were some early buyers or real SJCam fans?

For sure they are preparing now at least two models. But, again, I hope they learned the lesson and will make the right product from the beginning after many tests and stop lying about specs. They have (had?) enough SJ4000 fans to make enough money without lying people like other chinese obscure manufacturers are doing?
Lies were not necessary for SJCam. Why?

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
And don't forget same model revisions:
SJ4000+ followed in a couple of weeks by SJ4000+ Gyro
Almost at the same time with
SJ5000X followed in a couple of weeks by SJ5000X Elite
Just because they forgot to add the Gyro. How are feeling the non-gyro buyers which all were some early buyers or real SJCam fans?

For sure they are preparing now at least two models. But, again, I hope they learned the lesson and will make the right product from the beginning after many tests and stop lying about specs. They have (had?) enough SJ4000 fans to make enough money without lying people like other chinese obscure manufacturers are doing?
Lies were not necessary for SJCam. Why?

enjoy,
Mtz
If I'm not mistaken, all SJ4000+ can activate Gyro after updating to latest FW.
So there is no different version for SJ4000+.

For SJ5000X, they surely did some cheap play by saying 'Limited Edition' but in the end the are trying to push some inventory of spare parts out by creating a new model, only to be followed by another model.

And I agree, SJ4000 is known to be fooling lots of people for the 720p @60fps (double frame) and the Image Sensor (Aptina AR0330 is only 3MP).
But the latest FW v1.1 is actually a nice move. Too late, but still nice gesture.

The only series that they told no lies were the SJ5000 WiFi and SJ5000+ since all the specs is laid out correctly. (CMIIW).
But still, the support for APPS is very lackluster.

For SJCAM, take this as an input. If you want to be still playing in action camera world, start by being honest.
You might fool first time buyer, but they will surely despise you when they are unsatisfied in the long run.

Agreed with what you said @tgrdrgrss , just one thing.
If I'm not mistaken, all SJ4000+ can activate Gyro after updating to latest FW.
. Gyro is hardware component, firmware update can not add it. I have both Standard and Gyro 4000+, so I can confirm fw update does not activate gyro in std edition.

@Nathyn Masters Let's just face it, SJCAM DID lied on their first listings on SJ5000X Elite product page.
They DIDN'T said anything about interpolation at first, since it was only added later.
From there, SJ5000X Elite can only 'do' 2880 x 2160 pixel video, and it's actually interpolated.
Done?

Like I stated before, I didn't know anything about what came before I learned about the cameras. All I know is when I saw a 4k Actioncam doing 24p at this price point, first thing that went through my mind was "interpolation". I literally just assumed it was interpolated. I went on the site, read the specs and saw "interpolated". Now if you all say they only put it there because you made them, then I can't argue that. I have to believe that to be true.

Last thing, about this all 4K thingy. Let's just make a consensus: (even though it is already standardized)
Real 4K is = 4096 × 2304 pixel
Ultra HD is = 3840 × 2160 pixel

Not sure we have to come to that consensus as others (those created the standard) have already done so. But several things are in play here. I've been doing this for a long time and am used to various forms of interpolation. To me, I don't see interpolation as a lie when it's stated (going back to the Sony issue years ago). But if you say it wasn't stated originally I have to accept that. I didn't know it wasn't stated originally and only spoke from the fact I saw interpolation and for my needs the interpolation worked. I had a specific need the camera filled. I'm sorry for any problem or issues I may have caused.

-Nate

Last edited:
I thought if we don't call it 4K, just 2160p(2880 x 2160), it should be OK.
Before the "4K" text is only exist in the video resolution menu, it has replaced with 2160P in latest firmware.

Hi Gitup. Ultra HD 4k is only 4k because of marketing, but it's really not. They created a name for it and sale it as a form of 4k. Manufacturers know the differences between 4K and Ultra HD bull call it 4K Ultra HD (some just call it “4K.” because it's an accepted standard). All you Action Cam manufacturers need to do is get together and come up with an "Interpolated 4k" standard. (Which it seems they already have, it's just not official). And there you go.

Also none of distributors like gearbest or bangood mention 4K on the product listing page. We checked carefully about what they wrote on the listing page.

Search for 4k cameras on Gearbest and all of those cameras come up in the search. The Elephone ELE Explorer says it does 4k at 3840 × 2160, problem is, it's 15fps = virtually unuable.

If you check the SJCAMHD forum, you can see someone bought the 5000x because of the 4K and felt cheated.

I can understand that.

Also I know one of action camera manufacture was involved in a legal wrangle because of the interpolated 4K.

I'm sure that can happen.

-Nate

Hi guys, SJCAM just got back from Las Vegas CES. I will respond to as many replies as possible soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Back