Showing off the 4K (Interpolated) Goodness of SJ5000X Elite Edition

TV frame rate.

Although 24 fps is approximately the rate used in NTSC television (23.976 fps) and PAL (25fps) the real reason for the interest in 24 frames per second is that 35 mm movie cameras use a standard exposure rate of 24 FPS which has been the de facto standard for sound motion pictures since the mid-1920s. Shooting at 24 fps is thought to provide a more "filmic" rendering of action in video production. More recently there is a trend in current digital feature film production to migrate t0 a 48 fps high resolution standard.

Maybe it's because I'm too old, but I really dislike watching anything on the new 120 and 240 fps TVs. For some reason, the movements look unnatural to me and they make everything look like CGI. At least it'll save me from wasting money on the newest of the new HD stuff.

KuoH

Shooting at 24 fps is thought to provide a more "filmic" rendering of action in video production. More recently there is a trend in current digital feature film production to migrate t0 a 48 fps high resolution standard.

Reactions: Mtz
yes I understand that, if anything I see higher frame rates being multiples of 24, eg 4k@48fps or 4k@120fps, can't see 4k@60fps being very useful when it doesn't benefit the playback device, I think we're a while away from seeing that, not even GoPro is there yet

Not as far as you think - Ambarella's new chip is capable (judging my current trends) and two chips I know of so far have this capability, one we're looking at real closely.

Maybe it's because I'm too old, but I really dislike watching anything on the new 120 and 240 fps TVs. For some reason, the movements look unnatural to me and they make everything look like CGI. At least it'll save me from wasting money on the newest of the new HD stuff.

KuoH
A 240 fps TV still receives a 24fps TV broadcast so 9 out of 10 of the frames it shows are actually animated CGI, not real frames!

Not as far as you think - Ambarella's new chip is capable (judging my current trends) and two chips I know of so far have this capability, one we're looking at real closely.

I meant a while away from the likes of SJCAM, should have clarified

KuoH

Yeah, @Nigel is on the right track about TV frame rates. My understanding is that frame doubling (or greater) motion interpolation is the method used on such TVs since the source material is never shot at that speed at this point in time. As for real 48 fps, the first commercial feature film that was released was Peter Jackson's, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". Some people complained that it has to much of a heightened sense of reality but Jackson is a big fan and feels that it is definitely the future of cinema. He talks about how some of his crew who were long time film professionals were very skeptical but all of them are now advocates. James Cameron says the next Avatar films are being shot at higher frames rates as well.

We had written that it was interpolated in our store listing. Our new site launch we originally did not list interpolated on the product page: https://sjcamhd.com/sjcam-sj5000x-elite/

From day one store listing always stated that it was interpolated: SJ5000x Store Listing

Some resellers omitted that part or did not know to list it.

Apologies for anyone who was searching for non-interpolated 4K.

People who ordered pre-order up until the new site launch (around November 16) purchased from this link: https://sjcam.ecwid.com/#!/SJCAM-SJ...2K-Action-Camera/p/55375177/category=14060948

Nothing at all has been edited. Moreover non of our threads or marketing materials made 4k the main selling point of the camera.

We can find threads on another forum where a reader actually saw the "interpolated" in the store listing.

We are finding may happy SJ5000x Elite users as was the OP.

Let's try to also looks at the good aspects of this cam :)

BR

SJCO

Also in headline 4K @24 fps and few times in description. It is logical that customers assume its a 4k camera when you mentioned 4k in headline.
When you put something in the headline it certainly seams like a "selling point". Just saying.

yes, at Gente. we just recently updated the resolutions. I think we need to do so in the store description. Thanks for pointing this out.

We have attached several screenshots showing that we always said it was interpolated.

Now let's get back to seeing more awesome SJ5000x Elite footage :)

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• always-wrote-that-4k-was-interpolated-01.jpg
    always-wrote-that-4k-was-interpolated-01.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 12
  • always-wrote-that-4k-was-interpolated.jpg
    always-wrote-that-4k-was-interpolated.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 10
...2880*2160 interpolated is only 3K...

Food for thought: "That's why I subscribe to Jim Cameron's argument, which is we would get much better image quality by doubling the frame rate than by adding more pixel resolution." from: https://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1

I think I'll stick with 1080p 60fps on the SJ5000x for now... its what the sensor is rated at anyway... Which is a question, if the sensor is rated at 1080p 60fps, is the 2.7K on the SJ5000X also interpolated?

Food for thought: "That's why I subscribe to Jim Cameron's argument, which is we would get much better image quality by doubling the frame rate than by adding more pixel resolution." from: https://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1

I think I'll stick with 1080p 60fps on the SJ5000x for now... its what the sensor is rated at anyway... Which is a question, if the sensor is rated at 1080p 60fps, is the 2.7K on the SJ5000X also interpolated?

I don't know if this is the same IMX078 sensor that is used on SJ5000X Elite, but you can find more about it here
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_63/imx078cqk.pdf

And to answer your question, though this sensor is only advertised to "Full HD Video (1920H × 1080V Pixels at 60 Frame/s) and Readout Modes that Respond to a Variety of Needs", it could reach "All pixel scans", which is 4000 x 3000 at 20fps or 42fps.
Here is some screen shot from that link.
NewProducts63.indd_-_imx078cqk.pdf_-_2015-12-28_21.37.13.png

So, in theory, YES, it could reach 2.7K resolution without the needs of interpolation.

CMIIW

Reactions: Mtz
Colors are improved in v1.2.3 :)

Actually SJCam has been very open about the fact this camera's footage is interpolated.

-Nate

It's an action camera not a movie camera, temporal resolution should take priority over the ultimate in signal to noise ratio!

Filmmakers, like myself see this as a cheap introduction to 4k filmmaking. And to us all of these are movie cameras. SJCam knows that market is there and just like Canon, they went for it. They did a good job with this last firmware upgrade too.

-Nate

...ok they did a good job trying to make the elite better, but it is not the best they can do it better.
There are much more things they have to do for making video quality like sj5000 wifi, making gyro more sensitive and operation of cam easier and more special.
So it is good to hear to the users, they make their beta testing. Hopefully they accept the findings and wishes of users.
I came from xiaomi where that standing brings best results. They have open firmware and settings can changed via startup file. So you can create your favourite quality settings by yourself.
gente

...ok they did a good job trying to make the elite better, but it is not the best they can do it better.
There are much more things they have to do for making video quality like sj5000 wifi, making gyro more sensitive and operation of cam easier and more special.
So it is good to hear to the users, they make their beta testing. Hopefully they accept the findings and wishes of users.
I came from xiaomi where that standing brings best results. They have open firmware and settings can changed via startup file. So you can create your favourite quality settings by yourself.
gente

Actually, I like how SJCAMHD works now. They tend to care more to their customers needs.
Heck, even the 'classic' SJ4000 is getting an update soon.
When we talking about supporting a 2 years old product, that speaks loud for this brand.

And I see what you mean about the "open firmware" on the Xiaomi Yi.
The thing is, it's more because it uses the Ambarella chipset that is widely known on GoPro.
I own the SJ5000+ that is basically uses the same chipset as Xiaomi Yi, and the latest update (v2.8 or v3.3 depends on the batch u had) finally open the FW for hacking with .ash script. Heck, even I've been changing the boot screen on and off logo for a long time because it has a built-in screen, not like on Xiaomi Yi.

On Novatek (chipset that is used on this SJ5000 Elite) though, not so much.

Back