Shutoff switch for dash cam?

599ma

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a Garmin Dash Cam Mini. While setting it up, it looks like both the cigarette lighters and the usb remain on after the ignition is off. I already have a rigrunner under the dash wired to the battery for my Ham radio, so instead of having the usb cable out in the open, I'd rather have it go to the rigrunner. Since that is also on all the time, I want a shutoff switch so the cam doesn't drain the battery. Any suggestions for what type of switch is best for this application?

Some people have done it, but having a switch sort of negate one of the main things with dashcams, being that they come on and off on their own.
I think some times you can have your dash socket reprogrammed by a shop to not be on always, others that seem to be on all the time, well they might only be on for 30 minutes.

Another option for the people caught out by always on power is a Rhundo RS-20ST or the more simple RV-11

I am amazed that USB thingy even exist, but that just go to prove i am not that imaginative after all.

I put a push button switch in line with the 12 volt feed to the hardwire kit.

You know, if you have one of those smart keys, or whatever, stuff may stay on for awhile when the key is in, or maybe very near, the car.

Yes you have to be a little careful in these times to call a car / socket / fuse for off or on in a new car, they are getting too smart for their own good i think ;)
Thankfully my 2012 Suzuki car are bottom of the barrel and have no smarts at all, it dont even have aircon.
Putting a dashcam in my friends older Mercedes was a nightmare, every damn fuse was on for a long time, until suddenly they or at least one of them was not.
I could have installed 4 dashcams in my own car in the same time it took to put in one in that damn Mercedes :censored:

My secondary cams are on a generic SPST toggle switch from the local car parts store. No buffering caps etc, and never any switch-rtelated problems. I switch the 12VDC end of things, not the 5VDC USB part. As long as the switch can handle 2A or more you should be OK.

73 de Phil

Back