Shuts down on every engine stop/start

What car is this? Might be worth searching a forum for the model to see if anybody has reported what the cigar lighter does with stop/start.

Or wire in a multimeter and watch to see if the voltage spikes or drops as the engine cuts out?

That's what I'd do.

Any temporary voltage or amp drop may be sufficient to put the dashcam into shutdown mode.

Seems the problem would be resolved through hardwiring. @jokiin has spoken about the problem of CanBus in the past. I've experienced issues with CanBus and systems tied together in past hardwires.

When I first hardwired my A129 Duo, everything was fine. But I couldn't figure out why every time I turned off camera and locked car, I kept coming back outside to see camera turned back on. Apparently, the 12V socket and the car alarm were tied to the same fuse, even though it wasn't mentioned in the manual.

Again, wired a family members car. Hooked into a benign fuse. But radio / infotainment had static. Odd. Changed fuse, went away.

Point here, a lot of systems are tied together. It appears the Start / Stop drops Voltage too low on the 12V socket to sustain the camera. I have Start / Stop and just hardwire. Can't say I've personally tested the 12V with a dash camera on my car, as I hate dangling wires. I have though used my phone as navigation and other stuff plugged in, and never had issue.

That being said:

1. Battery Pack ( as you mentioned)
2. Hardwiring

Are you two choices.

Last edited:
Yep, spot on.

For smooth dashcam operation you need to find a circuit that is unaffected by the starter motor cranking.

Often not an easy task.

As a test why don’t you plug in a standard USB type adapter into the cigar lighter and charge a phone and then check if the phone pings the charging status on/off when the engine stops/starts?

This might not be a valid test if the USB adapter is able to buffer the power for a few secs but worth testing.

As a test why don’t you plug in a standard USB type adapter into the cigar lighter and charge a phone and then check if the phone pings the charging status on/off when the engine stops/starts?

This might not be a valid test if the USB adapter is able to buffer the power for a few secs but worth testing.

OP did that already
If I have my phone plugged in to the same charger, it doesn't light up like it would when a charger is disconnected.

It's likely the voltage isn't dropping enough on low draw sources to cut the power.

My only guess to find out if there's a voltage change is to test the socket. I'm not sure if one of those 12v socket car battery testers would show the voltage dropping or not.

Either way, it doesn't resolve his issue, and a battery or hardwiring are the only two options.

Even hardwiring has proved to have the same issues if the wrong fuse is piggybacked on to.

It's a minefield

Even hardwiring has proved to have the same issues if the wrong fuse is piggybacked on to.

It's a minefield

That's why it's sometimes trial and error. But it's safe to say him using the 12V socket is out of the question due to voltage drops during start/stop.

Yes

If the unit powers up indoors via a mobile phone charger brick and stays powered up OK then it's 100% a car power source issue.

Going to get the hardwiring kit. My car radio and interior lights don't change during stop/start so I think it will work on the right fuse.

Also be aware that with 'stop/start' you may have a momentary voltage drop when the engine restarts, and if that voltage goes below the point you've set on the HWK it may turn the cam off.

Phil

Just wired up the camera with the hardware kit. I found it satisfying when I was finished. Finding places to tuck wires into, soldering and multimeter.

My stop/start didn't function tonight, I think because it is too cold, so I can't say if it solved that.

My previous complaint about startup times is irrelevant now, because it starts up quickly recording normally when switching from parking mode.

18 hours parking mode, set to 12.0V limit, very nice.

View attachment 58794

This may not be an issue for you in the UK, as it's basically just rainy and never below freezing. However, in most climates that will reach below freezing temperatures, 12.0 V is way too low. That's 25% battery left, and you are risking the car not starting on a cold winter day. I always recommend 12.2% (50%) battery power.

Yes, we don't get the extremes of some countries.

I think I'd be looking for an external powerbank solution if parking mode was needed. Car batteries these days are so weak.

I remember, back in the late 50's early 60's cars used to park overnight with a light hanging off the offside window, lit all night, and no starting problems. These days that would flatten the battery in hours.

Similar to this : https://www.classentials.com/wp-con...mer-vintage-accessory-chrome-1950-1950-04.jpg

I let it go down to 11.8V and it started easily. I am going to leave it at 12.2V though and 12.4V when it gets colder in January.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A139 7
mentadent A139 33
Back