Shuts down on every engine stop/start

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229
I got a new car that has stop/start. I am using VIOFO's supplied accessory socket adaptor.

Whenever my car stop/starts (like at traffic lights) the camera shuts down and restarts. My Mini 0806 doesn't do this.

If it's turning off because of a very short period of no power, I'm surprised of this design and that it doesn't use its super capacitor for at least a few seconds.

I got a new car that has stop/start. I am using VIOFO's supplied accessory socket adaptor.

Whenever my car stop/starts (like at traffic lights) the camera shuts down and restarts. My Mini 0806 doesn't do this.

If it's turning off because of a very short period of no power, I'm surprised of this design and that it doesn't use its super capacitor for at least a few seconds.
Try changing the default boot delay from 0s to 5s. I wish Viofo would stop setting zero seconds as the default.

Last edited:
Does the cigar lighter actually switch off when the engine stops? I have a A119 V3 plugged into a cigar lighter in my car which has stop/start and my cam doesn’t do this as the cigar lighter maintains power when the engine it’s out.

If I have my phone plugged in to the same charger, it doesn't light up like it would when a charger is disconnected.

I will try the boot delay, thanks.

Setting boot delay to 5 or 10 seconds didn't change it. Seems strange to turn off instantly the second power is cut. I like my Mini 0806, the battery can keep it going for a couple of minutes.

Unless you wire to a circuit that doesn't get cut when the starter motor fires it will continue.

Last edited:
As your car has an automatic start and stops function. When the car stops, the voltage would be too low to support the dashcam keeps recording.

As your car has an automatic start and stops function. When the car stops, the voltage would be too low to support the dashcam keeps recording.
Well that sucks, my 5 year old Mini 0806 works thru it

It all depends on where you're wired to.

Some circuits retain power during starter motor cranking and some don't. I've seen countless posts with exactly the same issue.

As an example, put your headlights on during starting. The majority of cars will turn off the headlights until the engine is started.

1. First need to check if there is a power supply from the cigarette socket or not while the car is stopped
2. Normally there is still a power supply, but while the car is restarted, if the car battery is not very good, the battery voltage may drop below 12V, which will cause the camera to turn off.

@viofo @VIOFO-Support I tested it with the setting at 90 seconds and it still happens.

I suggest using batteries in your next camera or a power source capable of at least 30 seconds power when unplugged, as in a big crash I expect power problems.

If you read the numerous complaints and issues in the Nextbase forum you may realise batteries are NOT the way to go.

There are many posts about batteries failing just out of warranty and costing ~£30 to have them replaced.

Brand new car, or just new to you? Is the battery new?

I know this isn’t the answer but one of the first things I did with my car was disable stop/start. Loads of articles around but it can accelerate wear of components and saves only a piddly amount of fuel.

I’ve also yet to come across a stop/start system that can go beyond 5 stop/starts in quick succession before it then stops stop/starting because the battery is low?

I tested it with the setting at 90 seconds and it still happens.
I recommend you manually press the button to turn on the dashcam when it turns off.

We feel really apologized for the inconvenience caused and hope to provide compensation for you. PM sent!

Brand new car, or just new to you? Is the battery new?
Brand new, new battery.

I'll consider turning off Stop/Start or getting a battery pack. At least the A139 is excellent when it is on, just have to disable stop start.

Brand new, new battery.

I'll consider turning off Stop/Start or getting a battery pack. At least the A139 is excellent when it is on, just have to disable stop start.
I wonder if hardwiring the camera would be a more reliable power source than using the 12v socket?

Do you have a way to monitor what’s happening with the voltage at the socket when the car is stopping and starting and when the camera drops?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A139 7
mentadent A139 33
Back