Side Cam Help

OptimalKiller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DR
Hi Folks,

need some advice, going to Purchase SG9663DR, however i already have a Camdii K2S Dashcam which is currently my front dashcam, so my question is in terms of quality which one would you use for the front dashcam the 9663DR or K2S dashcam, the other cam i will use for side cams. if they are both pretty similar in quality then i will use the 9663DR as side cams, dont fancy ripping out all the cables unless there is a big difference in quality.

Thanks

The K2S has some QC problems. If yours works well, as mine does, then it's OK to leave it where it is. But personally I see SG as beinmg a better cam for quality, and for that reason alone I'd want it F&R instead, as that's more important than sides. Imaging will likely be better with the SG too unless you have the updated K2S- O haven't seen images from it.

Phil

The K2S has some QC problems. If yours works well, as mine does, then it's OK to leave it where it is. But personally I see SG as beinmg a better cam for quality, and for that reason alone I'd want it F&R instead, as that's more important than sides. Imaging will likely be better with the SG too unless you have the updated K2S- O haven't seen images from it.

Phil
Funny enough, I am getting the K2s pro cams waiting for delivery, will post raw footage when I get the cams, Many thanks for your advice will swap the units around. just dreading the cables. :)

Hi Folks,

need some advice, going to Purchase SG9663DR, however i already have a Camdii K2S Dashcam which is currently my front dashcam, so my question is in terms of quality which one would you use for the front dashcam the 9663DR or K2S dashcam, the other cam i will use for side cams. if they are both pretty similar in quality then i will use the 9663DR as side cams, dont fancy ripping out all the cables unless there is a big difference in quality.

Thanks

BTW....If you haven't already considered the issue, depending upon the make and model of your vehicle you need to be very careful and cautious about how and where you mount your side facing cameras. Both the cameras and the cables themselves can interfere with side curtain airbags to the point where they can become dangerous projectiles inside the cabin of your vehicle if the airbags deploy during a collision.

I would use K2S as side system simply as they are smaller cameras, actually considerable smaller then the DR cameras, the DR also come with a CPL for the front camera you cant even get CPL for the K2S i think.

I actually still have a K2S cable partially installed, though the main unit and cams are removed and awaiting installation as side cams. It's a pain moving things around to be sure, but I plan to leave my K2S there until it dies so the next round should be the last one for it with me. It's positively the smallest cam for stealth that I know of and the cam modules can make it tops for side cam usage where they can be fitted well :cool:

Phil

Some good advice, airbags not an issue for the side cams i've just double checked :) should be fine with the smaller cameras in place, I would have struggled if I had the SG as side cams.

Only issue now is the damn manufacturer window tint, on the rear windows.

Once again thank you folks for your input.

Only issue now is the damn manufacturer window tint, on the rear windows.

I've been using side facing and rear facing cameras in my vehicle for many years. My rear window has a bit of a tint but the rear side windows in my truck have a very dark factory tint such that you can't easily see into the vehicle. Nevertheless, they haven't really been a serious problem for my side facing cameras. I merely adjust the exposure in the cameras to compensate. While this does cause a bit of additional motion blur in some situations, it has been more than tolerable. Much of the time you will get motion blur with side cameras regardless. With side cameras it is important to appreciate just what they can and can't do. For some things such as parking mode or capturing adjacent cars in traffic they excel, for in other scenarios, they can perform poorly.

For your tinted rear window I don't think it should be that much of an issue as long as you adjust the exposure accordingly.

This LINK from an older thread on side cameras provides some examples of images shot through my dark tinted windows. If you look through the thread you'll find many other examples. Here's ONE (the bottom image) through my tinted rear window on a dark rainy day.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow well if that's tinted that still pretty good picture/video output,

Similar to my Car Windows tinted from outside, but when you lookout from the window its not to bad, now I have seen your pic, pretty happy the cams will not have any issues. though tinted windows.

on a completely different subject having issues sourcing 2 amp & 3 amp micro 2 fuse blades, lowest I can get at the moment is 5 amp. do they even do 2 amp micro 2 fuse blades?

Last edited:
that's what I have running, plus I put in a separate quick blow 2 amp glass fuse as well, just waiting for delivery of the SG now. it will give me something to do, instead of looking at the same bloody 4 walls, I cant wait until this lockdown is finished.

Nothing changed for me, but i am also pretty reclusive.
My biggest problems is the closed stores.

Agree, only saving grace for me was Amazon and to be honest I have brought some rubbish that I do not need. not to sure i purchased a torch a small hand held one. don't ask my why at the time I thought it was a good idea.

@Dashmellow well if that's tinted that still pretty good picture/video output,

Similar to my Car Windows tinted from outside, but when you lookout from the window its not to bad, now I have seen your pic, pretty happy the cams will not have any issues. though tinted windows.

on a completely different subject having issues sourcing 2 amp & 3 amp micro 2 fuse blades, lowest I can get at the moment is 5 amp. do they even do 2 amp micro 2 fuse blades?

Yeah, the images are not too bad. It will depend somewhat on which camera/sensor you have, your settings and the amount of available light. The Mobius cameras I now use for side cameras have the most comprehensive adjustments available but whichever camera you use just start out with a small exposure change and go from there.

I think 5 amp fuses are probably fine. The fuses are to protect your car, not the cameras. I use power banks for parking because I have 5 cameras in my vehicle which would kill my truck battery so I don't have all that much experience with fuse ratings for dash cams. Probably others can give better advice than me.

Agree, only saving grace for me was Amazon and to be honest I have brought some rubbish that I do not need. not to sure i purchased a torch a small hand held one. don't ask my why at the time I thought it was a good idea.

Always good to have a torch on hand! I have quite a collection. Then again, I've been a flashlight freak since I've been a kid and I live out in the middle of nowhere in a rural area where there are no streetlights and the power goes out all too often.

Always good to have a torch on hand! I have quite a collection. Then again, I've been a flashlight freak since I've been a kid and I live out in the middle of nowhere in a rural area where there are no streetlights and the power goes out all too often.

To be honest i was shocked torches have moved on, i purchased a sofrin if25a only to be used for when i loose thing in the car, but i shocked on how expensive and the features of a torch. i suppose you are always learning.

anyway good news my SG9663DR should be with me in a weeks time. :) ordered another cell link neo, this would be my 4th LifePo unit in 6 years. plus received my K2S pro cams today as well.
just need the firmware update for the K2S.

so this should keep me busy for next couple of weeks.

@jokiin

in terms on the hardwire kit which comes with the SG9663DR, if I am connecting it to the cellink is there a is there away of disabling the voltage cut off, as its all running from the cellink battery and not from the car battery

TIA

Last edited:
O you will be surprised with flashlights nowadays, next generation of long distance flashlights ( though useless for much else as its pretty much a fat white laser beam )
Well i hear rumors of throw distances upwards of 4 - 5 KM, but today 2 KM are no problem.

I use to have a Convoy BD6 i think it was called, one 26650 cell in it and charge plug in the light, so it was on a 1 A outlet in my car until i gave it to my niece for them to have on their farm.
Think i will get another Convoy for the car as i have 3 26650 batteries idling, so probably also pick up a light that support 2 of those.

in terms on the hardwire kit which comes with the SG9663DR, if I am connecting it to the cellink is there a is there away of disabling the voltage cut off, as its all running from the cellink battery and not from the car battery

TIA
voltage cutoff can't be disabled, that's not an issue though as it won't apply when using the Cellink anyway, just set it to the lowest setting

@jokiin

If that's the case will the unit still go into parking mode when the car is turned off, and the SG9663DR is still connect via the cellink device?

TIA

Last edited:
@jokiin

If that's the case will the unit still go into parking mode when the car is turned off, and the SG9663DR is still connect via the cellink device?

TIA

Yes as long as you get the optional CELLINK NEO unspliced 3-wire output cable add-on. You connect the DR 3-wire hardwire kit to those three wires.

f5a8717a0b2e65843e6062469f12f2eb.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wozzzzza SG9663DR 20
Back