Side Cam Parking Mode Crash Capture

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
So, yesterday evening while I was shopping at the local supermarket one of my Mobius C2 cameras mounted in the left rear window frame of my pick-up truck captured an unfortunate incident while I was away from my vehicle. As usual my four cameras were running off of two power banks when I'm not around.

This is one of the reasons I really prefer full time "parking mode" vs dedicated motion detection/G-sensor parking mode. Two cameras will run for ten hours or more on each battery bank and just keep looping away for as many hours at a time as the memory card allows, kind of like my home/business CCTV system.

I've watched this video about a half dozen times and I'm sort of scratching my head trying to decide who was really at fault. Obviously the guy in the Toyota Tacoma wasn't paying attention. (I think he was looking at his cell phone) but the guy who got hit clearly hit his brakes at an odd moment that would be probably not have been expected. He wasn't paying attention either!

Funny thing was I didn't realize I had captured this until I got home so I was not able to offer it to the crash participants. From the looks of things they were working it out relatively amicably, all thing considered.

Last edited:
He hit pretty good,I am sure he didnt even see him at all,he didnt feel a thing also.Did I just hear something??I didnt feel anything?Let me look/check anyway.Truck driver had a luck that was a car in his way and not some pedestrian,child or someones dog or something like that.Damaged car is the smallest problem of them all.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

He hit pretty good,I am sure he didnt even see him at all,he didnt feel a thing also.Did I just hear something??I didnt feel anything?Let me look/check anyway.Truck driver had a luck that was a car in his way and not some pedestrian,child or someones dog or something like that.Damaged car is the smallest problem of them all.

The guy was sober. You can see that right away when he gets out of the truck and starts talking to the guy he hit. Also the next video shows the entire aftermath when other people start showing up and everybody was calm and collected.

I would've uploaded the next clip but where I live out in rural middle of nowhere I have such crappy bandwidth (3MB DSL ---- only 768kbps upload!) It took me about an hour to upload this 1 minute 16 second clip. They keep promising better service but we all got screwed over by the latest telecom merger, as usual.

Anyway, you make a good point that it wasn't a child or a dog he hit.

Truck driver dident appear to bother one bit, but i assume he had his mind and eyes elsewhere.

What I like about this video is how both parties look to be handling the situation.

Sadly here 9 out of 10 times the pick-up truck guy wouldn't bother stopping or even if he did, fifty-fifty chance it would turn ugly.

Indians will need to have one of those cannabis smoking guys to mediate in a situation like that.

This guy are open for business.
pot-main.jpg

So, yesterday evening while I was shopping at the local supermarket one of my Mobius C2 cameras mounted in the left rear window frame of my pick-up truck captured an unfortunate incident while I was away from my vehicle. As usual my four cameras were running off of two power banks when I'm not around.

This is one of the reasons I really prefer full time "parking mode" vs dedicated motion detection/G-sensor parking mode. The cameras will run for ten hours or more on the battery banks and just keep looping away for as many hours at a time as the memory card allows, kind of like my home/business CCTV system.

I've watched this video about a half dozen times and I'm sort of scratching my head trying to decide who was really at fault. Obviously the guy in the Toyota Tacoma wasn't paying attention. (I think he was looking at his cell phone) but the guy who got hit clearly hit his brakes at an odd moment that would be probably not have been expected.

Funny thing was I didn't realize I had captured this until I got home so I was not able to offer it to the crash participants. From the looks of things they were working it out relatively amicably, all thing considered.

Once again, nice catch with the video!

the guy in the car applied his brakes but it was as if the Tacoma approaching from the left wasn't even the reason he applied his brakes, I would go as far as to say both drivers were completely oblivious to one another's presence

Over here it'd be ruled 50/50 fault, as its not on a public road and in that specific situation neither driver made any attempt to avoid collision

the guy in the car applied his brakes but it was as if the Tacoma approaching from the left wasn't even the reason he applied his brakes, I would go as far as to say both drivers were completely oblivious to one another's presence

Over here it'd be ruled 50/50 fault, as its not on a public road and in that specific situation neither driver made any attempt to avoid collision
How to made any attempt to avoid collision when they both never saw each other in any moment??

Truck driver dident appear to bother one bit, but i assume he had his mind and eyes elsewhere.

That parking lot is notorious for accidents where drivers are not paying any attention to what is happening around them, especially idiots on their cell phones.

Last March, I had an old woman drive right across my path with her head down the whole time looking at her cell phone completely oblivious to where she was driving!

Potentially it could have been the exact same scenario as the video I posted above except that I was watching where I was going.

Where I live operating a hand held device of any kind while driving is completely illegal but many people just ignore the law, so this is what we get. :mad:

cell_phone_idiot.jpg

Last edited:
Over here it'd be ruled 50/50 fault, as its not on a public road and in that specific situation neither driver made any attempt to avoid collision[/QUOTE]
It would most definitely not be "ruled 50/50", there would be no "ruling" as on private land despite the insurance may not even be active, or "live" to use insurer speak, there are many and varied reasons for this often you cannot claim even when other party is definitely at fault, not referring to this case where pick up driver is at fault wholy based on the fact he could easily have stopped in time, yes other driver was careless, but imagine it was a old pedestrian stood in the way should the pick up driver be able to knock him down because he can't see what is in front of him, it's no defence in law

It would most definitely not be "ruled 50/50", there would be no "ruling" as on private land despite the insurance may not even be active, or "live" to use insurer speak, there are many and varied reasons for this often you cannot claim even when other party is definitely at fault, not referring to this case where pick up driver is at fault wholy based on the fact he could easily have stopped in time, yes other driver was careless, but imagine it was a old pedestrian stood in the way should the pick up driver be able to knock him down because he can't see what is in front of him, it's no defence in law

You're replacing the car with the hypothetical pedestrian but not the truck? That point of arguments gives way too many variables. There are many incidents in car parks where they're "ruled" 50/50 fault by insurers, law doesn't even come into it

In my country insurers dont evaluate situations and make conclusions themself,they only can agree what law and police conclusions and based on that they do their job.

In my country insurers dont evaluate situations and make conclusions themself,they only can agree what law and police conclusions and based on that they do their job.

In some situations it used to be like that here, like if you run into the back of someone it's automatically your fault. That meant dishonest people could maybe change lane into your path and then brake, causing you to hit them, which is definitely not your fault, but without proof it wouldn't have mattered.... before dashcams :)

I understand that you are saying but I cant understand who gives a right for insurers to rule anything and not the traffic police or court(judge).That isnt practice in my country.

it depends on what kind of training insurers have I suppose, something I don't know too much about. but I'd like to think in an ideal world, insurers would have enough knowledge of the traffic law itself to be able to make the correct decisions as to who is genuinely at fault from every point of view, not just legally, but common sense too

IMHO the civic would be at fault here. the tacoma was on a "road" in the parking lot, indicated by the small medians. the civic should have stopped at the end of the row and waited for the truck, or at least just kept going. if he hadn't stopped in the middle of the "road" he wouldn't have gotten hit. the truck certainly didn't expect him to stop right in front of him.

IMHO the civic would be at fault here. the tacoma was on a "road" in the parking lot, indicated by the small medians. the civic should have stopped at the end of the row and waited for the truck, or at least just kept going. if he hadn't stopped in the middle of the "road" he wouldn't have gotten hit. the truck certainly didn't expect him to stop right in front of him.

That's the thing. The Civic hit his brakes unexpectedly, but there's no indication that the Toyota made any effort to stop at all. He just keeps going. This was partly why I posted the video of the woman on her cell phone in the same parking lot driving into the intersection without paying any attention to where she was going. In my case, I was paying attention so I was able to hit my brakes. I think the guy in the Toyota wasn't watching the road in front of him either, probably looking at his phone. I say they're both at fault.

Back