Side camera experimenting

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
As you might know i already have side cameras, but they are located in a less than optimal place i think.
So i want to try something new, and what simpler to do than take a mobius ( maxi ) put it on a suction cup mount and stick it where you think it will be better.

So first of all a little background info.

On my little Suzuki car i have a little pice of static glass in front of the front door windows, so anything cam go there as that pice of glass dont move, only problem are its pretty close to my mirrors.

So thats the first location i have tried, but i ran into some problems as the glass taper in towards the top and the suction cup can barely allow for a 90 degree angle to the glass, then i had to mount it with the suction cup over the camera and so the lens sit 10 CM lower on the little window than was my plan.
Still while the mirror are in sight in the test footage if i can get camera all the way up ( easy just dont use suction cup mount ) then i think the location are alright for a side camera.

Next up i will try sort of the same as on the most rear part of my rear doors i also have a little pice of glass that are static, problem there is not only do the glass taper in up high but it also taper towards the back of the car a little.
But i am confident a good install can also be made in that location so i can get a good camera aim, only downside are its at the back of the door, so i will have to install the wire to the camera clear across the door from here its hinged, so of course the wire will have to be inside the door.

I see side view as having many uses.
Like (here in the U.S.) if I have to blow a 45cal hole in a bad guy that attacks me front the side, a drive-by shooter, or even to record an interaction with a police officer.

I'm sure you will notice while moving that angular blur is more distracting than distance blur for moving targets. Even with a front mounted camera, movement on-axis changes the image much less than movement off-axis.

I just finished a loong road trip with a driver's side mounted Maxi. Used the handlebar mount on the pillar grip handle in plain view of anyone approaching the door. Ran for a while then the camera froze and turned off. Just needed to be 'reset' but hard to do while driving :)

Thanks. I'm slowly working through this forum and will eventually have it all read :)

Whew, just checked, it's only 18 pages.

I've used my M20 as a side view WiFi camera but wanted to try the Maxi.
With Wifi I can tell the officer "won't do any good to turn it off, you are already in the cloud "
(little white lie :) ) I have it set to cover me pumping gas in the truck, and catch muzzle flash from inside or outside.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm slowly working through this forum and will eventually have it all read :)

Whew, just checked, it's only 18 pages.

I've used my M20 as a side view WiFi camera but wanted to try the Maxi.
With Wifi I can tell the officer "won't do any good to turn it off, you are already in the cloud "
(little white lie :) ) I have it set to cover me pumping gas in the truck, and catch muzzle flash from inside or outside.

As I've mentioned here and there on the forum, I started out using an older out-of-service dash cam as a side camera as an experiment but it evolved into a "must have" capability that I don't like to be without. Now I have 360º plus coverage using four cameras that are running off of power banks much of the time, which can come in pretty handy if a LEO instructs me to turn off my ignition when he learns that I am recording. Side cameras can have some issues with motion blur or distortion but all in all I capture amazing things I would never have otherwise. One time, I almost ran over a crazy little kid on a bicycle who came racing across my path right in front of me at an intersection but I managed a panic stop just in time. My front camera only captured him crossing in front of my truck but the side facing camera caught him wildly careening all the way down the side street before he entered the busy intersection against the red light. If there had been an unfortunate tragedy at least I would have had documentation regarding how the event actually occurred.

Last edited:
Mine shuts off, but one press and the left side is back on.
The M20 will run over an hour. That ought to be long enough :)
Rear view in the Tundra tailgate covers just about horizontal and down almost to the trailer hitch.
Don't want a camera on the wife's side as she's a little trigger happy.

Guess I could install a timer to power a bunch of cameras. Don't plan on 24/7 but some period after key-off should handle it.
A big Green button next to the big Red horn button :)

A diode switched Accessory/Bedlight power for cameras in rear side windows would allow the cameras to be switched on/off from the cab.

Last edited:
Just came home, and have been testing the #2 location on the back doors.
And i have to admit i am a bit perplexed now.
I really want to tell myself that the location on the front door will be the best spot if the camera get up as high as it can.
But then seeing today's footage from the rear door, and even factoring in that it will be even "harder" to wire up, then i am leaning towards this location, though a camera there will be more exposed to getting knocked around, if it wasent for the fact i only have people on my back seat 1 time every year.

I had to use this evening fotage, i was blasting my stereo when i left earlier in the day, and while its a cheapo stereo i have and factory speakers the footage was a little shaky from Black Sabbath.

Also if / when it get to changing side cameras, it will be for cameras that are not as large as a mobius, so the actual setup will be less prone to accidental camera contact.
When i get to try parking mode, i will use timer and only use 2 hour, and even then most of the time i park thats not home or another safe place, then i am back in my car after 15 - 20 minutes, so it will be rare that timer run its full length.

Also as i drive little then if i used parking mode hard, then the battery better be large and be recharged hard / fast ( within 2 hours )

I see side view as having many uses.
Like (here in the U.S.) if I have to blow a 45cal hole in a bad guy that attacks me front the side, a drive-by shooter, or even to record an interaction with a police officer.

I'm sure you will notice while moving that angular blur is more distracting than distance blur for moving targets. Even with a front mounted camera, movement on-axis changes the image much less than movement off-axis.
You USA people have problems that the rest of us never need to think about!
Just curious, how many FPS do you need to accurately capture the angle of travel of that 45cal bullet so that you have evidence of who sent it on it's way?

One or two frames per second will capture every flash :)
and yes, the US does have a problem with people not taking their meds.

My friend just put a welcome sign on his front door.

81HdAGw50zL._SX425_.jpg

My friend also have a little Texan living inside, maybe thats why we are so good friends.

I'm now thinking about a Maxi (or similar) as a hard mounted side view (where?) with a one button on and NO off. Would require tape over the lens, spray paint, or a hammer to turn off :) . Charge power, and loop record with more memory than power.
Need a camera than doesn't have a need to RESET all the time though :(

Just came home, and have been testing the #2 location on the back doors.
And i have to admit i am a bit perplexed now.
I really want to tell myself that the location on the front door will be the best spot if the camera get up as high as it can.
But then seeing today's footage from the rear door, and even factoring in that it will be even "harder" to wire up, then i am leaning towards this location, though a camera there will be more exposed to getting knocked around, if it wasent for the fact i only have people on my back seat 1 time every year.

I had to use this evening fotage, i was blasting my stereo when i left earlier in the day, and while its a cheapo stereo i have and factory speakers the footage was a little shaky from Black Sabbath.

Also if / when it get to changing side cameras, it will be for cameras that are not as large as a mobius, so the actual setup will be less prone to accidental camera contact.
When i get to try parking mode, i will use timer and only use 2 hour, and even then most of the time i park thats not home or another safe place, then i am back in my car after 15 - 20 minutes, so it will be rare that timer run its full length.

Also as i drive little then if i used parking mode hard, then the battery better be large and be recharged hard / fast ( within 2 hours )
I didn't hear any Black Sabbath music but noticed the pretty girl walking by. lol

No have to mute sound or youtube throw a fit if it is music in a good enough quality to identify the artist,,,,,, at least the way i have my youtube set up, which are pretty much NO to everything.

Lots of distractions here at the moment, though many of them i could be father maybe even grandfather to if i and first spawn of mine was quick to get going.
BUT ! fortunately i have no kids, that would just mess with my mind so bad if that was the case.

My friend just put a welcome sign on his front door.

81HdAGw50zL._SX425_.jpg

My friend also have a little Texan living inside, maybe thats why we are so good friends.

You really should post this in pics that make you smile.

My friend got a stack of signs with writing in that tune to put up around his property, though it is shielded on 3 sides by fields.
Good thing are most Danes understand English, and a lot of Danes,,,, would steal those signs.

He also got a #2 dog, so now he have the 3Yo mastiff rottweiler mix, and now a clean rottweiler thats only weeks old, so aside for mischief not much it can do yet.

Grabbed some frames off footage today as i passed a oncoming beetle, still amaze me what a good side camera the Mobius 1 is.

Mobius 1
Mobius Maxi ( with time stamp )

B1.jpg
MMB1.jpg
B2.jpg
MMB2.jpg
B3.jpg
MMB3.jpg

Mobius 1 = about 450 MB for 3 minutes / Mobius Maxu 550 MB for 3 minutes - Mobius 1 1080/30 Mobius Maxi 1080/60

PS. did you notice how the old VW change shape in between the 2 lenses, very apparent in the middle 2 pictures :) i kinda like the steep back end VW of the mobius 1 :p

PS. did you notice how the old VW change shape in between the 2 lenses, very apparent in the middle 2 pictures :) i kinda like the steep back end VW of the mobius 1 :p
That is due to rolling shutter, the Mobius 1 has a far slower shutter speed and is mounted upside down...
I think, to me it looks like the Beetle is overtaking you at 200mph!

I would mod a beetle like that if i had a shop and my skills with the english wheel was more than a few hours playing with one in the 8 grade, i always liked different so the mere mentioning of the word custom make me stand up and pay attention.

That VW is beautifully restored and from the looks of the bumpers and rear window it likely dates back to the early 1960s.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mobius Maxi 7
J Mobius Maxi 5
Back