Side camera experimenting

Only one of those was a car fire! As I said, it is hard to find examples of car fires caused by powerbanks... BMWs on the other hand...

Probably a good idea if you don't buy a BMW...

BMW Recalls Roughly a Million Vehicles at Risk of Catching Fire
An ABC News investigation that aired in May found more than 40 instances in the last five years where parked BMWs — some had been turned off for days — spontaneously burst into flames.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/business/bmw-recall-fire.html

:D

Get a BMW, add a powerbank fed battery type dashcam, and toss your hoverboard and phone in the back seat. Now drive to the local market and get a bag of marsmallows to roast over your now burning car while you wait for the firemen to arrive.

Problem solved elegantly!

Phil

Get a BMW, add a powerbank fed battery type dashcam, and toss your hoverboard and phone in the back seat. Now drive to the local market and get a bag of marsmallows to roast over your now burning car while you wait for the firemen to arrive.

Problem solved elegantly!

Phil

Be sure to increase your insurance coverage before hand too! :smuggrin:

judging by youtube, it seem like the Avantadors are much more prone to setting them self on fire.

Older Buicks can do similar tricks, but I didn't have any marshmallows at the time......

Phil

Older Buicks can do similar tricks, but I didn't have any marshmallows at the time......

Phil

I once cooked a beef roast with potatoes and veggies on the manifold of a Buick during a four hour trip from NYC to Vermont. True story!

I thought only Fords caught fire.
Back in the 80's or 90's Ford was advertising that "Quality is job one".
They did not advertise a different truth "Putting out the fires is job #2".

The BMW issue is a mystery to me but there have been some theories put forth. In old cars, fires mostly happened at the carburetor and could be put out rather easily. Not a lot of plastic to burn back then either. Now there's gasoline at 100 PSI all over and a split line sprays fuel everywhere with plastic aplenty to keep the fire going. Not much hope of saving them once they go. They call this "progress".

Phil

YES!! It was the Ford Pinto!!:woot:! This was already in the 70's.

I know a man near here who still has a Pinto for his daily driver. My neighbor from long ago had his rustbucket Pinto split apart at the box sill while he was driving on the freeway. The only thing slower than a 1.6L Pinto with an automatic trans is an early diesel Rabbit (Golf). These weren't bad cars for their time really, and other small cars from then didn't do a whole lot better in rear-end collisions. They "fixed" the fire problem by adding a plastic shield to the fuel tank. Jeeps had the same problem and the same fix several years back. So did the Crown Vic's the Police drove. The same thing happens today, but the Pinto taught Detroit how to keep these kind of problems out of the news.

Phil

Thanks @c4rc4m for once again enlightening us power bank owners, handing out advice about a product you don't own and only know about from things you find on the internet. ;)

Dashcmallow, just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Clearly it does, and those are more than "internet stories", most of them are from local news reports / papers. I really can't say it too many times, it's rare, but it doesn't happen, and placing powerbanks is cars is increasing the risk because of the temperature swings. Dashcam users should be aware of the potential dangers when making the choice whether to powerbank or not, so it merits a mention. As I've equally said many times, individual choice.

The BMW issue is a mystery to me but there have been some theories put forth. In old cars, fires mostly happened at the carburetor and could be put out rather easily. Not a lot of plastic to burn back then either. Now there's gasoline at 100 PSI all over and a split line sprays fuel everywhere with plastic aplenty to keep the fire going. Not much hope of saving them once they go. They call this "progress".

Phil

Best one I came across when I searched the results above was a woman with a Smart car who put gasoline in the air filter hole instead of the petrol tank and filled the inside of her car After filling her car up, presumably despite the smell of petrol, she found herself trapped in a burning car on starting the engine!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5187973/Moment-car-explodes-fire-mother-trapped-inside.html

The latest BMW apology:

BMW drivers in South Korea are reportedly being ostracised by parking bans imposed over mounting public fears about engine fires.
The country’s transport ministry estimates 27 engines went up in flames between January and July this year, prompting BMW’s South Korea unit on Tuesday to apologise and announce a recall of 106,000 diesel vehicles, including the 520d, from August 20.

“For the recent series of fire incidents happened in the country, we sincerely apologise for causing worry and anxiety among people and government authorities,” said Kim Hyo-joon, BMW Korea Chairman.

The company has cited defects in the exhaust gas recirculation system as the root cause of the fires, reported Reuters.

However, according to the Korea Times, some apartment blocks and commercial buildings have already barred BMW vehicles from their parking compounds, unwilling to risk a potential fire hazard.
https://phys.org/news/2018-08-bmw-hardware-problem.html

And it is very easy to find reports of BMW fires, parked or not: https://bmwproblems.wordpress.com/bmwownersbeware/

There are millions of BMWs, but far more powerbanks in the world, a single story of a powerbank car fire should not concern people too much, the long list of BMW fires though...

Does @c4rc4m drive a BMW?

BMW-recall-1121318.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mobius Maxi 7
J Mobius Maxi 5
Back