Side camera required

Oldmanroo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gramin, own-build
Hi. I recently damaged my neck fairly badly with subsequent restricted ability to turn right. Most inconvenient at obtuse intersections.
I have rigged up a 19mm OD (3/4") Car Front View Camera with Universal High definition CMOS Non-mirror Image Without Distance Scale Line
combined with an Apexel HD Camera Lens 2x Telephoto Lens.
I use a 4.3 Inch TFT LCD Rearview Monitor Vehicle Dashboard Monitor,
all on a FLOVEME Car Phone Holder with a Long Arm Gooseneck Adjustable Car Phone Mount.
The camera has at least 140 degree FOV which in reality is too much.
Does anyone have an idea where I could get reduced FOV camera (say 90° - 100°) to give me better focus distance so I can safely see what is coming? This will also give me a more realistic estimation of distance as well. Apparently Car SOS rigged up a kit for a guy who had lost the use of his left eye but I cannot find a copy of this. (Car SOS series 9 episode 3.)
If anyone has any better ideas of what I could do I would really appreciate it. I need one for each of 4 different vehicles including a motorhome and an MGF!
Big thanks in advance for any feedback. Tim.

Attachments

• Car Cam.jpg
    Car Cam.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 8
I don't know about the UK, but here in in the U.S., and in various other countries, having a device running with an active full time screen operating like you are using would be illegal despite the worthy reason you may be using it. Any device with a full time screen is considered a distraction.

Thanks Dashmellow. Good point I guess. Will check that out.

Perhaps you could devise a more discrete installation?

Also, a GPS screen is legal. Perhaps you could devise a screen that can be switched to GPS when not used for side viewing?

Thanks Dashmellow. Good point I guess. Will check that out.

After a bit of online research I've learned that while having a video screen that is visible to the driver during vehicle operation is indeed not permitted in many locations, a few U.S. states that otherwise restrict screens make an exception for "devices used to enhance or supplement the driver’s view forward, behind, to the sides of the motor vehicle". Perhaps the law is similar in your location?

Ditto here...The legality of driving under circumstances that, imo, could be considered "outside" the parameters allowed by your government's licensing authority and/or driving laws was also what first came to my mind. If I was you, I would FIRST check with either those authorities, the local police, and/or an attorney versed in transit laws to clear that part first, lest I end up suffering from an additional "pain on my neck" beyond that caused by the initial accident for concocting something that wasn't legal.

here the screen itself and what it is showing would be legal, if it's driving aid related that's no issue, all the brackets and other junk might be a problem though, would need to slim that down as much as possible

I think here, if you are not able to turn your head to orient yourself like you are supposed to, then your license will get taken.
One reason i do never mention my back problem and turning in the seat to look as i am supposed to do mirrors or not.
The ability to drive where and when i like to, is one of a few cardinal freedoms i still have in this country, take that away from me, and i will have to seriously contemplate some of the things from the dark side of my mind.

I think here, if you are not able to turn your head to orient yourself like you are supposed to, then your license will get taken.
Precisely. Otherwise, the State itself would had already made provision for the gadgets being concocted above, as I am sure the submitter isn't the first driver ever with the inability to turn his head.

...all the brackets and other junk might be a problem though, would need to slim that down as much as possible
Slim them down or, better, eliminate them altogether for, as it's oftentimes the case, "the devil is in the details".

Any more discreet approach would be better than the current set-up.

Off hand, I can think of several ways to achieve a discreet small camera set-up connected to a small dashboard mounted LCD monitor.

One could use a small door frame or window mounted CCTV board camera with any M12 lens of your choice.

board camera.jpeg

There are also some TINY spy type analogue CCTV cams available these days that would do the job.
These can be directly connected to a monitor.

tiny.jpeg

You could even use a Mobus or Mobius Maxi connected to a monitor via the AV wiring harness. Resolution would be more than adequate for this purpose, plus you could also record side came footage with it if you wish.

You could even do remote lens version of the above with something similar to my old DIY remote lens Mobius tube camera design. The camera housing could be mounted flat to the door with the lens attached to the window/door frame. Doesn't need to be a long tube like this one. Could just as easily be an L-shape camera module but the original design is flexible so it could be mounted discreetly.

tubecam2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, another possible solution might not have to involve a camera at all. Perhaps a car seat mobility aid might do the trick to allow for turning side to side without having to twist one's neck? You can find these on Amazon and elsewhere.

swivel.jpeg

swivel2.jpeg

Back