Single camera dash cam or dual camera dash cam?

Only get 1 channel if money are tight, otherwise 2 are quite nice, not least if you plan on sharing then there are no such thing as too many cameras.

But general one camera on the windscreen are fine, it record all you do + a lot of other stuff on the side, often what other people do ( wrong )
So if you do nothing wrong and can prove that with video, what ever else go on off camera can not be your fault.

Two single camera dash cams are better than a single dual camera dash cam.
With two cameras, there is a higher probability that at least one camera is working when you need it to be working.
That way one bad memory card can't take out both of your cameras at once, and there is less wear on each memory card.

Two single camera dash cams are better than a single dual camera dash cam.
With two cameras, there is a higher probability that at least one camera is working when you need it to be working.
That way one bad memory card can't take out both of your cameras at once, and there is less wear on each memory card.
Thanks for the advice

With the hardware we have in dashcams now, a single cam can outperform a 2-channel cam and many do that. But today we also have some good 2-channel cams at good prices which wasn't the case several years ago when I got into the dashcam game. Back then, the 2-channel cans were either expensive or unreliable so I was using 2 single cams myself, but more out of economic necessity than anything else.

But same as then and always, one cam in front can almost always prove you did no wrong, and it will show most of the idiots you're tryinmg to protect yourself against. The one thing a rear cam does well is capture a hit-and-run from behind you if front numberplates are in use where you drive, but hit-and-run drivers are often uninsured so that may be of little benefit to you.

You decide what you want to do- nobody can make that choice for you.

Phil

Which one should I get?

I recommend a Dual Dash Camera if you have the technical skills to install. And if you really want to go above and beyond, add in a secondary camera with cabin view. But back to your exact question, Front + Rear coverage is essential. Think if you stop and someone rear ends your car. A front camera won't capture the event. It's happened to me (Rear Ended) and the video was a life saver when dealing with the insurance company!

Street Guardians have good ratings (Don't Own so Can't Personally Attest). I run the Viofo A129 Duo in two vehicles using the Sandisk A2 Extreme SD card. Neither camera has ever failed in very hot or very cold weather. the Viofo A129 Duo runs at a native 1080p resolution.

In the old days the idea of running separate single cameras was most valid, but i dont feel it have much merit anymore.

New systems will alert you with beeping if there is a problem stopping it from recording, so a memory card failing mid drive, well you do at least get notified now, though the audio level of the alarms can be problematic ( too low ) and so easy to overhear, not least if you have the radio going or maybe a conversation.
Of course if the system fail outright, then you are out two cameras / all cameras, but in that situation if you had two single cameras and the front one fail you could move the rear camera to the front if it is the same brand / model and fit on the mount, or it / they use a universal mount type like suction cup.
No matter what kind of system you have, it is a good idea to have a spare memory card in the car, i have though the only times i have had any use for it is when i have forgotten a memory card for a camera in my apartment.
I have never had a memory card fail me mid drive, but i have had many memory cards go flaky on me forcing me to replace them to get the system stable again ( just done that with a samsung card in my K2S side system )

And i will also say when you have used dashcams for a while, at least i personally feel pretty naked if there are no camera, or i even worry if i have forgotten the memory card for one of several cameras on my windscreen.

Now i feel there are plenty of tried and tested dual cameras out there you can buy, and there are newer / smarter ones you can take your chance on CUZ it is a new brand / model, of if smart features for some reason are important to you.
There are even older dual systems, but thy then lag things like alarms for mad memory cards ASO so it might sit there silent and appear to record just fine, but it just are not doing that.

ATM i will at the moment advise against any smart camera, it often seem people have problems with the smart part of the cameras, but the basic recording function of the camera might still be working.

Back